Surgeon
    Dr Wade Barker
    Last Activity
    10-22-2012 11:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default so sick....

It's been over a month since my surgery and for the most part I've felt great until the last week or so... I can't keep anything down. I'm not getting my protein, it all turns my stomach. I'm losing weight fast and I know it's because i'm not getting my protein. What do I do? My DR says it's "pregnancy nose" and it's common in women who had ruff pregnancies to experience the same kind of sickness at this time... does anyone else have this? Please, for the love of all that is Holy, someone tell me it goes away in a few weeks. I'm tired and cranky all the time because i can't keep anything down. Even water is a chore.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Letizia (LOL)
    Surgery date
    09/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    04-18-2013 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 153 Times in 149 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,066 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: so sick....

Your not alone and we almost had our surgery on the same day. I haven't lost anything since the 9th, and also can't keep my protein or water(actually hate water now) is rare when I drink my 64 oz I work out but scales don't move. I think my body is going to starvation mode b/c I do Zumba for 30+min and I walk. I have to remind myself to eat and drink. I also Trow up does feel like if your prego. I heard to drink warm water to help w my nausea yuck. So if I want to be under 200 by the 31st I need to try my best and keep my protein down. Good luck to you. Hopefully we both start loosing weight again and keep our protein in.

Name
    Elaine
    Surgery date
    08/21/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mike Sofronski
    Last Activity
    05-15-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,859 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so sorry you are sick. I was very seldom nauseous unless I eat something I shouldn't be to start with. Which is a good thing. Hope it passes soon.
    278 was my starting weight before my Lapband in July 2008
    199 was my lowest weight with Lapband as of July 2009
    79 lbs was my total weight lost with Lapband.
    59 lbs was the amount I allowed myself to put back on in 3 years before I said "this has to stop!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tammy
    Surgery date
    02/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jossart
    Last Activity
    11-14-2012 10:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time. You are not alone. I was the same way post up for 1 month. The first 2 weeks after my surgery I could not move nor get up. I couldn't even keep water down. I was the fortunate one to get the "this could happen to you" in the worse case scenario. All the bad side affects have to happen to someone. Yup I was the lucky one. It will pass. just keep in mind that all this was for the better. I am now 9 months post op and feel better. I did develop really bad acid reflux and hernia. I will have to have surgery to repair this after one year of surgery. I don’t regret what i did one bit. I’m still having issues, identifying who I am now. Body dismorphia is what they call it. But I'm a strong believer that theirs a light at the end of the tunnel. Be patient. U will begin to feel better in no time .I cubes were the best thing for me. They have flavored ones. Also I was given medication for nausea, where you? The PA also recommended I drink a shot of Gatorade, a couple of times an hour. For dehydration.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I did not have this experience - I didn't have trouble keeping things down, but had a very slow progression of re-introducing food.

One thing I do know is that the world is a better place when you are not dehydrated so make sure you find away to keep sip sip sipping.

I too could not stand the taste of plain water. More then the taste, it bothered my stomach - it felt acidic or something. The lifesaver was herbal tea since it is not truly tea there is no caffeine and it masks the water flavor and can be served at whatever temperature your tummy prefers. I found warm, but not super hot, tea just went down easier then cold beverages.

Of course you can also add crystal light, mio etc to plain water and I did that too, but early on the herbal tea is what kept me hydrated.

Does your doc have you on a PPI like Proselec or something similiar? I don't take it now, but took it everyday for the first several months and i think it helped alot with that horrible stomach feeling. We tend to think acid reflux is only when you feel it up in your chest or throat, but I would feel a acidy even burning feeling in my stomach which was resolved by the PPI.

I guess finally I would say is if you don't feel better by say 6 weeks out, you might want to talk to the surgeon again. Somewhere in the 6-8 weeks out most of us had a major turning point and started feeling alot better. I know that there are many variations and not everyone is the same, but to me that is a normal recovery and if you aren't having that, I would want to know why.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Well it's nice the doc said what it is, but did he give you advice on what to do? Don't ya just love it.....
    Couple of suggestions, natural based because that's pretty much who I am and what I do.
    Try to see if you can get a hold of some peppermint tea - there are all kinds at most groc stores, I like twinings.
    Make it up pretty weak to start, just let it soak for 1 minute and then cool down with a little honey in it.
    Sip it warm. If that doesn't do it, add a shake of ground ginger to it. Ginger is so powerful they give it to the astronauts. It's better than dramamine.
    If you have some warm tea about an hour before you try to eat, it may help relax your tummy and then you might get food down more easily.
    Also, see if you can find some chewable enzyme tablets and some chewable probiotics.
    I get the hormone issues, believe me but there is also the fact that your sleeve is trying to heal itself with a total mess up of the good bacteria that used to be in there so it needs some help. Enzymes are necessary to digest food, and sleeves sometimes need help. QuickDigest is a chewable and so are most of the papaya or bromelain enzyme tablets. There are chewable probiotics all over these days, it's the good stuff in yogurt but you probably know that.

Not sure what you're eating at a month out - canned chicken with mayo is popular, as are cream soups with unflavored protein powder mixed in. Me, I lived on peppermint tea and proasis (liquid protein) in water for weeks....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.