Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 02:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default stretched stomach

I also believe I may have stretched my stomach. I lost weight and gained some back. Being totally honest, I went thru a lot of stress, you name it, I was experiencing it. I'm not making any excuses for my lack of control and I paid for my surgery out of my pocket. I've gained about 15 lbs back and all in my stomach. I'm in my mid forties and muffin top is not a good look at any age. MY QUESTION TO ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE THE ANSWER, HOW DO YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN YOU HAVE STRETCHED UR STOMACH. I can eat almost a whole sandwhich and I've been doing all the things I was told not to do. I realize if I want to be healthy I have to take control again and get back to changing my eating habits again. Eating healthy can be expensive and I'm on a tight budget. I was thinking about havinge 2 protein shakes per day and a well balance meal for lunch instead of dinner. Any suggestions..... I need help and support.
    thank you

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member marilynlw's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Marilyn
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Lorenzo
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 02:32 PM
    Oahu, Hawaii we moved from Ohio to wormer weather.
    Said "Thanks" 61 Times
    Was Thanked 742 Times in 711 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,174 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: stretched stomach

It looks like you know exactly what the problem is which is half the battle. Your plan sounds good. I would try counting your calories for a while to make sure you are not going over what you doctor recommended. I have not had my WLS yet but I know it is possible to stretch it if we are not careful.

Highest weight 440 lbs. lowest weight 9.5 lbs at birth
    Date of surgery weight 340
    12 week checkup 301 BMI <50 yeah!
    Weight on birthday 3/24/48 Goal 285 would be nice.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Drew
    Last Activity
    10-25-2014 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I am not sleeved yet either, but isn't there a 5 day pouch test somewhere? Hm.

Gastric Sleeve Member Sunflower's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-08-2013 09:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 682 Times
    Was Thanked 704 Times in 669 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 550 Times

Try the 5 day pounch test. Also, if you have stretched out your sleeve, I have heard of people getting re-sleeved. It is entirely possible to repair any damage. Good luck.

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

Gastric Sleeve Member aboutime4me's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Soong
    Last Activity
    09-15-2016 10:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 368 Times in 333 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think you've stretched out your new stomach to such an extent that you'll pile on pounds upon pounds as before, which I think is a fear for many of us because of our past. You've admitted your bad eating habits are to blame. You're the only one who can change that, as the sleeve is just a tool for us and you know that too. This is a real process, a journey for a lifetime and one that sometimes we have to takein steps. We don't suddenly wake up from surgery and have all healthy eating habits or desires for only healthy food.

I would suggest the 5 day pouch test also to get you back on track. Step away from the temptations and get hold of your initial fervor and desire to change, and go for it! Just know that you could not stretch out your stomach to the size it ever was before, so that's comforting.

One of the surgeons also told us at support group that what really happens more than any stretching or relaxing of the sleeve, is that we train our brains to want/eat more food beyond the 4 ounces at a meal. We do a litte bit more, a little bit more and pretty soon we're over the 4 ounces and the brain wants it, thinks it's ok to go for it. So that, in conjunction with the possible poor food choices we make, can put the pounds back on.

Start weighing your food again if you've stopped. Only 4 ounces at a meal is maximum. Get all of your protein in first, and only then, go for veggies, then fruits. Don't go the carb route or eating the slider foods that go down quite easily, or like me follow a love for all things sweet and sugary. I was told 90 grams protein minumum for women and over 100 for men each day. If you fill up on the proteins, there's very little room left for anything else.

Keep us posted on how things go but do it TODAY! No matter what stressers are out there, they will always be there and you've got to get more coping mechanisms in place in your life if you're going to beat this weight gain. You can do it!!! You made the decision and had the surgery...that was the hard part. We're all here for you anytime.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lee Ann
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr James Davidson
    Last Activity
    10-23-2016 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes I don't believe you have stretched your stomach but maybe a little. Do the 5 day pouch test you can google it online. A lot if times if you start eating a lot of carbs and sugar your body starts craving it. So they pouch test will help jump start your sleeve and then help you get back on track.
    “It’s not the mistakes in life that are important; it’s what we learn from them.” ~Donna Guthrie

Preop 17 pounds lost
    The rest is all surgery baby :-)
    My sleeve is my new best friend

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ata Ahmad
    Last Activity
    11-13-2013 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

I paid out of pocket for my surgery as well and it wasn't cheap. I would hate to have spent so much money to go back to old routines that aren't going to get me anywhere. You can do this. Take control. Cut your meals in half and eat the other half later. Focus on your proteins. Become a CARNIVORE!! Best of luck in your journey!!!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member butyyfulone's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    05-07-2014 02:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will definately start with the pouch test & then comes changing my mind set. I'm currently eating healthier just need to push & exercise. This forum & members are wonderful. Thank you for the info & support.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Nicholson
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 142 Times in 132 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,927 Times

It is my understanding that you cannot stretch out your sleeve if the surgeon cut away enough of the stretchy part of your stomach, called the fundus. Don't take that as the gospel truth but I would research it.

Good luck.

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

I did read somewhere that you can figure out how much food your stomach holds.. The cottage cheese test.do not eat for an hour or drink for a half hour.. Us a clear measuring cup . Measure out 8 oz of cottage cheese. Eat it only until you are fill "full" . The amount of the cottage cheese you ate will give you an idea of what your stomach holds.
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 140 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,740 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aquajog View Post
    I did read somewhere that you can figure out how much food your stomach holds.. The cottage cheese test.do not eat for an hour or drink for a half hour.. Us a clear measuring cup . Measure out 8 oz of cottage cheese. Eat it only until you are fill "full" . The amount of the cottage cheese you ate will give you an idea of what your stomach holds.
    I have never heard of that test......hmmm have you tried it?

Every journey begins with one small step....

Name
    Stephanie
    Surgery date
    08/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ben-David
    Last Activity
    01-09-2015 09:50 PM
    Grew up in Miami Fl now in Gainesville Fl
    Said "Thanks" 301 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

Link to the cottage cheese test
    Bariatric Support Centers International

Here is also another great link another member shared.. Its about stretching the stomach and Bougie sizes.
    ObesityHelp - Gastric Bypass, LAP-BANDŽ System, DS and Other Surgical and Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Joya
    Last Activity
    05-16-2016 01:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 79 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I was also told it's really difficult to stretch our stomachs, we are left with the sinuey (sp?) part that doesn't stretch. With that said there r days I can eat more than others. I don't buy into all that protein either, I'm a averaging about 60 grams, I look at what my thin vegetarian friends have eaten for years and they wouldn't be getting 90 grams a day and they are healthy. I'm realizing these last few days that I don't have many food issues, I'm not eating cause I'm not hungry, I thought I was an emotional eater and know I ate alot when not hungry but this surgery has taken that away. I have had treats and baked goods and just stop when content. I think by not giving myself eating rules like on a diet has helped as well. I used to think about food all the time cause I wouldn't allow it for a few days then crave it and give in. Eating little bits of what I want even bad food I think for me has taken that hunger away. I feel I was eating too little calories which is what I am sure put me in my stalls. Right now I am nibbling on a California roll, it isn't pretty cause I eat one piece as normal then don't want any more rice so I pick at the insides with my spoon, I don't do this in public, lol. Try to reconnect your mind and stomach, rely check in to see if u are hungry before u eat and eat what u like so you don't get cravings later by restricting.

Surgery - Lap band removal to sleeve

My Starting Weight - 227lb
    On Date of Surgery - 215lb
    One week post op - 214lb
    Two week post op - 209lb
    Three week post op - 212lb
    One month post op - 210lb
    Two month post op - 204lb
    Three mons post op - 199lb
    Four months post op -
    Five months post op -
    Six months post op -

Gastric Sleeve Member Mscheveous's Avatar
    Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    04/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Keith Gersin
    Last Activity
    05-10-2015 09:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 105 Times
    Blog Entries

Can't say for certain but I am almost 13 months out and I can probably eat just about a whole sandwich (though I don't normally eat bread). I just don't allow myself to eat that much and measure my food in 1/2 cup ratios. Also you'll be able to eat a lot more of certain foods then others. Like, you may be able to eat a whole sleeve of crackers (they call some of these foods slider foods, because they don't seem to have a filling effect) then if you were to eat shredded chicken you may only be able to eat say, 1/2 a cup of it. I think the more protein dense foods will have you feeling full the fastest/longest.