Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    06-07-2014 01:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 210 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 92 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Overwhelmed about buying a bra

So I had already lost 30 pounds or thereabouts between the 6 month program and the 2 week liver shrinking diet. I lost 10 pounds the week after surgery so obviously I have dropped dress sizes and am struggling each day to figure out what to where.

But the big deal is bras. I don't know how to buy an interim bra. Obviously I'll lose back weight which will make a difference in my bra size. I could also lose in the cup size. I went to Macy's today because they are having a big sale but the clerk was just plain stupid and I was so overwhelmed.

Does anyone have a suggestion on buying bras without having to sell a kidney to afford them every few months? I have so few clothes and they all need bras so I am at a loss.

Thanks.

Carmen

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nita
    Surgery date
    10/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anderson
    Last Activity
    01-02-2017 03:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Overwhelmed about buying a bra

The "Genie bra" is perfect and Target sells them. My friend bought them before her sleeve and is passing them down to me as I am getting ready for surgery but you can wear them awhile and they are comfy. They are just what you need!!

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    02/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Leblanc
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times
    Blog Entries

Because I was shrinking out of my bras so quickly I bought bras at Walmart until I slowed down then I went to Victoria's secret and purchased a couple of their cotton bras that were 2 for 29 to see me through til I stabilize. Also walmart has sports bras that are not too expensive and will fit a little longer than a regular bra. The lady that fitted me at Victoria's Secret told me when buying a bra make sure to buy the size that fits snug on the furtherest hook then as you reduce or the bra stretches you can move in toward the middle. Made sense to me. I am now on the second hook on my newest bras. Uh oh only one more hook to go then I'll have to start looking all over again. Good luck with your search.

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

This is from another thread I posted about bras, but it applies here too.

Ok, this isn't from weight-loss but from my mastectomy. I ended up with one side bigger, quite a bit bigger. We were going to fix this problem with the second stage of my surgeries, but have put it off until I lose all of my weight and stabilize for about 6mo. Anyhoo...I have found some really comfy bras with out the "cup." If they are stretchy cups, they will adjust to whatever size you are. I have some from Bali that are soooo comfortable, I can actually wear them all day without them hurting or pinching. Here's the link to the ones I like!!

Bali Comfort Revolution Wire-Free Bra with Smart Sizes - 3484
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I have decided that as it relates to clothes during the weight loss journey "less is more". I have wasted money by buying something and then by the time i go to use it, it is too big and I am tired of baggy looking clothes! So, I shop at Ross Dress for Less every few months, pick up a few CHEAP clothes and wear the heck out of them while they fit - then pass em on when they don't. I used to have the idea of saving new things for "nice" and now i wear that small set of (cheap) clothes for everything - might as well wear them out!

Bras, I have also bought at Ross, for around $5 each. They don't carry sizes much about a 42 band but as you shrink, you can get nice name brand, fully structured bras for cheap there. I too need to buy new ones too as the ones i bought in June/July just don't fit right anymore.

I might look into the Genie bra too, but i wonder, does that give you enough support to look your best? I was at Ross several months ago trying on tops and i felt like nothing looked that good.... until I put on a new bra that fit - suddenly, all the tops looked better. So, too stretchy or too big bras can contribute to that lumpy look (for me anyway) so I definately bought those new very structured bras for about $5 each.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Joaquin Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    10-20-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 151 Times in 141 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I am getting into that issue too. Fortunately, I had some bras in lower sizes that I had kept so I am ok for now but I am about to out grow this last set and will have to get out there. I may check Ross or TJ Maxx - that is a good idea and I like the Kohls idea too. Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, thanks for the great responses. I had forgotten about sports bras. When I had a breast reduction 6 years ago I lived in them for 6 months or so until everything settled. I will go back and look there. And while we don't have a Kohl's here we do have a Ross's. I had planned on going there on Tuesday to get their 10% off old person discount for being over 55.

Yes, I refuse to spend big bucks on clothes, but I have to wear something so I just keep recycling the outfits I have. My best place for clothing is, believe it or not, Macy's. When you hit their sales there's no one better. Last week they had a 65% - 80% off rack and then I took another 15% off with their WOW pass printed off the Internet. I got a 49.00 top for under $5.00.

Gastric Sleeve Member Aggie92shell's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Manuel Castro
    Last Activity
    09-12-2013 04:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I like the "genie" bra also. This has been a big issue for me too. I have lost 150 lbs. and have a lot of loose skin. Lost several sizes around but not much cup size. Finally went to Victoria Secret and made threm work to find a bra to fit but got one to work there. So good luck to you.

Gastric Sleeve Member krwashi75's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Li
    Last Activity
    02-19-2015 04:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I wear a 38 N, so normal places don't work for me. Where I go, the woman placed an extender on my b5e bra so that I can wear it for a while. I've lost 69 lbs and have gone from a 46 N to a 38 N. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Michellelynn1236's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/17/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Castellanos
    Last Activity
    07-23-2013 09:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times
    Blog Entries

I like the just my size bras because they are like $13 and good if you have to buy a few nd then a few at a later time? you can read up online to see how to measure yourself and most woman's stores like fashion bug and Lane bryant can help measure you as well

Gastric Sleeve Member LealScott's Avatar
    Name
    Carmen
    Surgery date
    09/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Brian Wong
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I used to wear Just my Size on the mainland but have not found them here. We don't have Fashion Bug or Lane Bryant and I refuse to pay for shipping. I went to Macy's and cashed in on their sale of buy 2 get 1 free plus 20% off the entire bill. Still a bit pricey but something I can live with. I got the Bali Comfort Revolution. It's a flexible bra and comes in a small, medium, large and extra large. It has no underwire and is so much more comfortable. I'll keep moving hooks until I feel like I can get a "real" bra. It's sort of like a sports bra. I would imagine it will work for the next 4 months or so depending upon how my weight comes off.