Surgeon
    Dr. Brett Cohen
    Last Activity
    09-25-2012 04:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: I regret it!!!

Sweetie, please dont give up! You will do it! It didnt take you 2 weeks to put the weight on so it will take some time to take it off. If you stick to it, I promise you, it will come off. I know you are excited and you may think that the weight is suppose to just fall off right away but its not. it will come off in a study pace. Your body is going thru a shock right now and its tryin to figure out what the heck is going on. Once it adjusts to the new you, it will say , OK, I CAN WORK WITH THIS NOW, LET ME DO MY JOB! lol., you will be amazed at the results, trust me! Everybody has their own pace, dont compare yourself to others, just be you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

Have you tried just plain skim milk? If you're not getting your fluids, calories, or protein, skim milk is good for all of those. I would exchange a glass of water for the milk, and see if that helps. Only around 200+ calories is way to low and why you have no energy. At 2 weeks out, my dr wanted my to get around 40-50g of protein and about 5-600 calories. I haven't been a speed demon in the weight-loss category, but it does get easier. I'm 6 weeks out and have only lost 17-18#, but I'd still do it all over again. God luck and hang in there!
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

In addition to B12, you are supposed to be taking your multi-vitamins and calcium as well. Your body needs the vitamins, protein to get better. If you are dehydrated, you will get headache and be tired. My NUT told me I need 50oz minimum a day. It is ideal to get at least 64oz.

Protein shake does get boring after a while. I mixed it into broth or soup (blended it with immerson blender).
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rendon
    Last Activity
    01-05-2013 11:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I felt the SAME way you did after my sleeve. I think my husband heard me scream I ruined my life with getting this sleeve for about 2 months after surgery because I was so stalled that I didn't lose anything for about a month after. Besides the fact that I LOVE water and everytime I drank it after surgery, it made me feel so sick. I lived on crystal light for like 3 months which was weighing on my nerves and I just thought it would never get better. I'm 6 months out now and have lost 50 pounds (would be more if I'd stay away from the cheetos) but that's my own demons that I'm still working on. IT DOES GET BETTER!!!! I am soooooo happy that I had this done now and I have been for about the last 3 months. I do get nauseated when I eat salad still but everything else I can eat and have no problems with. Water is back to being my best friend and all is well. Oh I don't exercise either so I'd be losing more if I'd do that too. Hang in there, it will get better and you will love it in a few short months. I tried a lot of vitamins because I am a vitamin freak and I now take CVS brand multi chewable vitamin, CVS brand chewable chocolate calcium, Biotin 5,000 mcg and a B12 sublingual pill daily. Your energy will come right back and in no time you will start losing and feeling great. My hubby is sooooo happy now that he doesn't have to hear me say I've ruined my life. LOL

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SECRETSLEEVE's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hector Perez
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 193 Times
    Blog Entries

I hope you feel better. I think its good that you are posting so people can see all the different possiblilities. The sleeve is not going to be great for everyone, I think its important that people know this is major surgery and anything could happen and you could wind up worse off. I personally think wls should be a last resort. I personally was so miserable before surgery it couldn't of gotten any worse for me. I would rather be a happy fat person then a skinny miserable person any day. But if I have to be miserable I rather not be fat.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member CuirousGeorge's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Atkinson
    Last Activity
    09-23-2013 03:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times
    Blog Entries

Tina
    I so understand your frustration. Right now everything is so new. New ways of your body accepting/ rejecting fluids and foods. New ways of your hormones playing head games with you. New ways of coping with the stressors of life as the old "eating" through it won't work. Lots of NEW things! It is not uncommon for people to have post surgical depression also. You may want to consider talking with someone about your frustrations and feelings. But it is a Wonderful life changing endeavor and though the challenges are at times arduous and uncomfortable the rewards far outweigh the trials! Be patient and kind with yourself.

Gastric Sleeve Member lesanncan's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-05-2014 09:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Tina I'm sorry you are not feeling well. Have you started pureed or the soft diet yet, maybe that will help. As far as quantity I think at this stage we are only suppose to eat a couple tablespoons at each meal. that is about all I can get down. This weekend I started soft foods and have been doing okay. Do you like eggs? I started with egg salad. Today I mixed canned chicken, avacado and light mayo and ate that for lunch. I smooshed it up really good and then made sure I chewed it up good. As soon as I got back from Mexico I started taking my vitamins. I'm taking a multi (chewable, but think I'm going to switch to gummie because the chewable make me want to hurl), b-12 sublingual, iron, calcium & Vit. D (viactive). I too am having trouble getting the protien shakes and water in. Water just doesn't taste the same, it make me nauseated. If I add something to it it helps, but still barely getting a cup a day in.

I'm going to try and add exercise in soon. I've been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck so that has really slowed me down. As far as energy, I never had any before the sleeve so I guess I don't really notice a difference. One of my stiches opened too so I've been trying to get that healed, it has not been fun.

Please hang in there. you are not alone. Do you still have my number? You can call or text me anytime you need to.

Gastric Sleeve Member sassylassie's Avatar
    Name
    Sandi
    Surgery date
    12/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    12-13-2013 01:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 53 Times

You can't say you were healthy but obese in one sentence. Sorry.

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I know I haven't had my surgery yet, but I've been thinking about this issue and trying to mentally prepare.

I figure that because at the moment I have such an 'instant gratification' relationship with food, it's going to really confuse me at first to have the opposite relationship. Particularly when I'm sore post-op and my tummy can only take fluids etc, it will be so weird that I can't use food to cheer me up.

However, I think rather than thinking of food as my 'cheer me up friend', it's probably more appropriate to think of it as my sleazy sex-friend. So, it's like having meaningless sex with someone - feels good at the time, but afterward when I'm on my own, I feel kinda cheap and tawdry for having given in, and it provides me with no longer term benefits. It's an addictive relationship and all the long-term effects are bad.

So, I'll not just be coping with the change in eating which will be a challenge in itself and create some difficult feelings, I'll then no longer have access to my habitual way of dealing with these difficult feelings.

Are there other sensory things you can do which feel good to improve your mood while your dealing with this loss and adjustment? Music, favourite movies (for me it's musicals all the way) warm baths, aromatherapy, a good book, mental stimulation (sudoku etc). I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need lots of nurturing after this!!

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

I have no doubt some people will regret this surgery. Just like some people have regretted getting lab band or bypass. One of my friends who had bypass is really against WLS because she has gained all the weight back plus some and is dealing with a lot side effect of the surgery. WLS is only a tool and may not work for everyone.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member aclabombard13's Avatar
    Name
    Angela
    Surgery date
    05/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Terence Clarke MD
    Last Activity
    09-02-2013 09:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 167 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 236 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 150 Times
    Blog Entries

As far as protein shakes, maybe you could try the Atkin's Advantage shakes... they have 15g of protein, only 11oz with 2g carbs and like 180cals or so. They taste really good. I know they aren't as much protein as regular shakes but I couldn't take the traditional shakes (made me so nauseous) so I went with these or the low carb slim fast for protein and calories. You wanna try to get your calorie intake up a little. Are you on soft foods yet? Spoons of peanut butter work great too if you are. Good luck!

Trip to NYC Dec 1, 2011 - around 270 if I had to guess
    PCP Appt. March 1, 2012 - 260 lbs
    Bariatrics March 23, 2012 - 257lbs
    Day of Surgery May 24, 2012 - 230lbs
    39 Days Post-Op July 2, 2012 - 199lbs
    247 Days Post-Op January 25, 2013 - 135lbs GOAL

"I'd rather LIVE my life than EAT it!"

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    07/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ajay Goyal
    Last Activity
    09-08-2017 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tina2705 View Post
    I lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks after surgery and now nothing.
    ;(
    So you are upset about not losing on your 3rd week if I am dissecting your verbiage correctly? I think the problem at hand is an unreasonable expectation and a lack of understanding on weight loss. The word STALL should be considered a curse word!!! It's a crutch for too many people on here. Not everyone but many.

To lose 5 pounds of actual fat a week you have to be negative 17,500 calories. Now if you want to count water loss and gain you are on the road to high levels of emotion with each weigh in. To write that you regret it as a topic is really sending the wrong message to those considering the surgery as a potential life saving procedure. You are going through a tough time due to head hunger and lashing out at your decision now is very premature to the overall outcome. Not to mention you recently had surgery!! Now I'll ask. How much exercise are you doing per day and how many times a week?

Gastric Sleeve Member Butterfly17's Avatar
    Name
    Alison
    Surgery date
    08/15/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Forrester
    Last Activity
    05-12-2016 07:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Amen to that !

Gastric Sleeve Member Island Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Surgery date
    07/11/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,309 Times
    Blog Entries

Breathe...it gets better! You may just be experiencing a bit of post surgery depression. Your body is going thru a lot of changes and still healing. I really did not get my energy level up and feel better until the 6 week mark. Be sure to get enough rest. Think positive thoughts...

Surgery date
    08/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-18-2021 07:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks to all of you.
    Just to make one thing clear: The reason I regret it is not due to me not losing any weight! I don't really care about that. I only said, that that might make me feel better.

It's hard for me to explain how I feel. I need to force myself to drink (before the sleeve I drank at least 3 liters a day!), I need to force myself to eat something (2 Tablespoons and my stomach starts hurting), Protein makes me sick, and so on. It is really frustrating.

I am no allowed to exercise yet, because 2 of my incisions opened and I need to be careful with it...
    I started eating cottage cheese yesterday and it felt better. Maybe once I can eat normal food I will feel better?

So thank you everyone

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast