Surgeon
    Dr Bagloo
    Last Activity
    03-30-2013 01:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Lucky and I know it

I got the OK to move onto soft foods from purees. Today I ate 3oz of Shrimp, and later on a crab cake pattie. OMG. First of all I haven't been able to take in more then 2 oz of food. The shrimp was the first time I've tried anything that I had NO gas side effects. It was awesome! I just had them plain, with nothing special. Nom Nom! Later on I went out for a bit to the Balloon Festival, and there were NO real good choices. It was between a fattening hamburger, fried sweet potato fries, and a crab cake. I chose the crab cake sans the bun, and I ate the whole thing! Yum yum yum!

Tonight for dinner I made ground chicken breast in salsa. I ate about 1oz. I figured as much. I also made some ground chicken meatballs in sauce for the next few days. I'm going shopping for more shrimp, scallops, and fish tomorrow! I need to keep a bit of variety because even though I love greek yogurt, right now I want to vomit when I look at it after eating it every day. In a few days I'll try a cracker w/ cheese. To get in some fruit, I've frozen strawberries and added them to my protein shake in the place of ice. And I bought some zucchini that I'll eat as a snack, because 3oz of shrimp have an amazing amount of protein!

I've been having a hard time liking anything I drink. Water is way too hard. Now I take some lime mush it up in the water, and add 2 packets of truvia. It's like a limeaid and it goes down in normal sips!

I'm really in a good place right now because I get to eat some more things, and the only thing that has made me sick was beans, so I'm staying away from them. I have no idea how many calories, or carbs I'm supposed to have. My nutritionist said just to focus on getting 60g of protein. I do that between 5-600cals a day, though everyone else says to eat more so that confuses me a bit.

Anyway I'm totally lucky to have tons of energy, no real eating issues, and I'm losing =)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/07/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Syn
    Last Activity
    08-23-2013 10:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 100 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lucky and I know it

Don't pay attention to what other people say. Just stick with your nutritionist and follow your plan. It is way to early for you to be eating more that 5-600 calories anyway. My NUT says the same thing...60 grams of protein. Protein first always! She has never mentioned calories. I think people are so used to dieting they have calories on the brain. lol
    You are doing fantastic.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Twyla
    Surgery date
    08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,153 Times

You're doing an incredible job, DanaArt! The reason some may be saying to up your calories is that anything below 800 causes your body to go into starvation mode and hold onto all the fat. Obviously, by your weight loss so far, being under 800 isn't doing you any harm. It likely won't either. Play things by ear and follow what your NUT says. Keep up the great work!!

SMILE!! It makes people wonder what you're up to!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Kim
    Surgery date
    06/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Joaquin Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    10-20-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 151 Times in 141 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mila View Post
    Don't pay attention to what other people say. Just stick with your nutritionist and follow your plan. It is way to early for you to be eating more that 5-600 calories anyway. My NUT says the same thing...60 grams of protein. Protein first always! She has never mentioned calories. I think people are so used to dieting they have calories on the brain. lol
    You are doing fantastic.
    This!!!! Your calorie intake will increase as you are able to eat more foods. You are just 3 weeks out - you will get there eventually. You are doing just fine!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

Congrats you are doing great! One thing to keep in mind though is that as soon as you think you have this sleeve thing down, things will change Sometimes better and sometimes not! I was like the energizer bunny the first few months. About 3 months after my sense of smell rolled over and suddenly I couldn't eat meat for anything - especially tuna which I had been eating a lot of. Then a few months later I started getting tired a lot and stalling a lot - was low in vitamin D. Now I am out of energy a lot and it is probably due to low iron/potassium.

Vitamin deficiencies take MONTHS to build up before you notice them, and take MONTHS to correct sometimes once you do! So be sure to get regular lab work, and make sure that what little you do eat COUNTS - not just protein, but all the other nutrients that keep you going. You probably have enough stores to keep you for awhile, but eating that little will catch up with you! The calorie count itself is not important - you can live perfectly fine on 600 calories per day if you make those calories really, really count. A bowl of total cereal for example, is only about 2-3 oz and only 100 calories but has 100% of most of the vitamins you need. Finding something to eat it with since it isn't all that tasty is the harder part. But there are lots of other foods that don't need much to cover everything you need. So when you are checking out the protein labels, and you have a choice between something that has 0% of any vitamins or minerals vs one that has some of them, even if the protein is a little lower it might be worth it.

MyFitnessPal is what I have been using, and it tracks some of the nutrients but doesn't display them all (so you have to look). I just signed up for SparksPeople specifically because it lists EVERY vitamin and nutrient if you want it to, so you can see exactly what/where you are missing, and what supplements you might consider (especially if your blood work shows you trending lower - even if not deficient yet, its on the way!).

Keep up the good work!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Bagloo
    Last Activity
    03-30-2013 01:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Thanks! These responses made me feel SO much better! I'll just focus on getting in my protein for now =) My first bloodwork comes before my 6 month follow up appointment.