05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. John Romanelli
    Last Activity
    05-17-2013 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Feels like I'm on cruise control (1 month post-op)

Hi everyone,

I'm just over one month post-op and I feel like I'm doing great. I woke up last Wednesday (exactly 4 weeks and 1 day post-op) and all my pain was gone. No more burning belly pain at all. My surgeon said as soon as my pain goes away, I am cleared for Crossfit. I decided to wait another week just to make sure everything is fine - and I was on vacation anyway. I am excited to re-start Crossfit tomorrow but scared that my time off has undone all the work I had done pre-surgery. I am hoping that I will bounce back quickly.

As far as food goes, I seem to be able to eat everything if I keep my portions small. I usually weigh and measure every meal to make sure I don't overeat and so far I have not had any problems with dumping or vomiting again (since the first couple of days of soft foods). I also chew my food into oblivion. I very rarely have the feeling like something is stuck in my esophagus and never feel any pain from eating. I am fully aware that this may change as I keep healing but for now I am cautiously optimistic.

I do find it frustrating sometimes to not be able to eat a normal-sized meal but I believe that it will get better with time and that my "normal" will evolve. I did deviate from the nutritionist's instructions a little bit but I don't think they always take into account that people react differently to this surgery. She told me to eat chicken and not beef but beef goes down way easier than chicken so I'm eating it. I also had some salad in small amounts (tiny pieces of lettuce, tomato and cucumber) and have had no problems at all. Amazing how much you crave fruits and vegetables! I do notice that carbs go down a lot easier than protein so that is something I'm keeping my eye on.

I lost 24lbs on the two week pre-op diet and 21lbs since surgery even though I've only lost a couple of pounds the last two weeks. I'm definitely happy with 45lbs in 6 weeks. For some reason I don't have any anxiety about stalling. Maybe in a few months I will feel it but for now I feel very content. I have also stopped weighing myself every day and just weigh on Saturdays.

I am so grateful that I was able to have this surgery and with such a smooth recovery for the most part. I honestly believe that being close to 100% compliant on the pre-op and all the work I did at Crossfit before surgery helped significantly. If you have not had surgery yet, I highly recommend starting an exercise program now. Leg and upper body strength comes in very handy the first few days when your abs are fried.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ms.lovely65's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    06/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-03-2016 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Feels like I'm on cruise control (1 month post-op)

Congrats!

Gastric Sleeve Member themouse1960's Avatar
    Name
    Phyllis
    Surgery date
    10/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aceves
    Last Activity
    10-04-2016 04:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 66 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times
    Blog Entries

Your hard work will pay off. At my 8 month post op I was down 104 pounds. I diligently track, eat my protein & exercise. I was one of the fortunate ones who has never had a stall. Only weighing yourself once a week is good. I now weigh myself daily as I don't want to lose or gain any! Good luck.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tricia
    Surgery date
    06/27/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-03-2013 12:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 89 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 144 Times
    Blog Entries

You guys blow my mind. I am 1 week post op and hope to do well. It still seems like a pipe dream that I'll loose week. I have lost 13 pounds with the preop prep included. I am so hesitant to believe this will actually work as I have had so many failures in the past. However, I am followig the rules, so it should work. You as inspirations for sure!