Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    01-16-2013 08:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default burning in stomach

Hi all I have been having some burning in tummy. I think it is hunger but doc said it is the acid in my tummy and to continue taking prevacid. well yes i have missed sometimes and have taken it regularly now and still feel the burning unless i eat something. my diet is this..

protein shake am and lunch time..snack if needed which is cottage cheese or small fruit or yogurt...then dinner

in am i am hungry all way up to snack. so i have tried to have snack in am like for breakfast then around noon i want something again burning in tummy. so i have been having more. i would chose smart things though maybe some veggies or salad. doc said i would never feel hungry again if that is true what is this burning in tummy and why does it only go away if i eat something? prevacid isnt helping

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr TALBOT
    Last Activity
    02-20-2014 08:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 261 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: burning in stomach

Have you changed any medication like diabetic medication lately or other meds sometimes that can be a cause but most probably its the surgery but it should settle.

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

If you are only taking 15 mg of prevacid you might want to try taking 1 am and 1 pm. It's a 24 hr med but has a period of time it works better than other times during the day. Taking 2 per day split up helps. I've been on 30mg a day for years and expect to take it for life. Not ideal but I'd have had to with or without the surgery.

Otherwise, if you aren't getting at least 80 oz of liquids in, that may help, along with avoiding acidy liquids, meaning citrus flavored anything, and watch your choice of SF sweeteners. Some make acid worse. Other thoughts.... if you are using milk in your shakes you may have become slightly lactose intolerant. Try soy, almond or coconut milk. And, take your calcium supplements mid morning. They may act as a bit of an acid buffer.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Acid Reflux and Heartburn are the only side effects I have had from my surgery.. I was prescribed Nexium but it didn't work. I started taking over the counter Zantac 150 and it was better but I get the most relief from eating Tumms. I eat a good 6 a day usually after my meals. If you have it at night you can try a swig of Maalox before bedtime. It coats your stomach and will give some relief. Also, I noticed that a lot of things I was drinking caused Heartburn. Crystal Light for one. I had to eliminate it from my diet. I can drink the natural Crystal Light but the regular stuff??? no way... But that was just me. Also, some of the Gatorade G2 drinks would give me extra heartburn. I also agree with Grace on the milk deal. I gave up regular milk and drink an almond/coconut blend. I love it!!

Also, usually when it starts burning it means its time to eat. There is nothing in your belly for the acid to eat so try munching on some crackers with peanut butter. That has helped me too.....

Good Luck!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jen from pa's Avatar
    Name
    jennifer
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramachandra
    Last Activity
    08-26-2013 11:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, im two weeks post-op and have had this for three days. Slightly uncomfotable but not too baf. Im on 40 mg of prilosac so i wasnt sure if it was heartburn or what. so it could just mean im hungry? I barely eat and i drink sf juice packs atleast twice a day

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Grammabear's Avatar
    Name
    Paula
    Surgery date
    05/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Zane Prewitt
    Last Activity
    06-25-2019 07:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Maybe you are hungry. I had my surgery on May 6, 2013 and I still experience hunger pangs.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/31/2013
    Surgeon
    DR Feiz
    Last Activity
    12-17-2014 10:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times

I thought the hunger pains would go away after the surgery. Am I wrong?