Dr Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    01-07-2013 02:09 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Overeating, a rude shock!

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share an experience I have had today. Today I overate. I consumed around 1200 cals and it wasn't by stuffing myself or having big portion sizes. I just had a couple of snacks during the day and had some left over curry for lunch and dinner.

I can't believe it! I do feel full and I only ate about 4 tablespoons at each sitting. I kept telling myself to eat a couple of protein snacks because I know Im not getting enough.

However this is ridiculous, 1200 cals is just unacceptable! It is a rude awakening and today I can see how easy it would be to fall of the wagon in the years to come.

I usually sit at around 800 cals per day. That seems to be the nice level whereby I lose weight, don't feel hungry but don't get to dizzy or tired either.

I certainly won't be doing this again. I think this is a part of the journey that doesn't get discussed to much, how easy and dangerous it is to over-consume.

Thanks everyone, have a great night!

Surgery weight: 128 kgs on May 5th.
    First Goal: 118 kgs by June 5th. Reached 31st May!
    Second Goal: 108kgs by July 5th. Reached August 3rd!
    Third Goal: 99kgs by October 30th. Reached 23rd October!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Rebecca50's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Curry
    Last Activity
    01-16-2013 01:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 597 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Overeating, a rude shock!

Well i have been doing the same thing. Oatmeal cookies have been my choice of food. ( I have been at a stall fo rabout 3 weeks now and I know why and I am trying to change that.

Gastric Sleeve Member barrbdoll's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    04/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-24-2017 06:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

1200 calories really isn't bad.. My nutritionist is asking me to stay in that range and I am still losing. As long as you are exercising you will be fine. I seem to eat 4-5 times a day... small portions but that also helps keep your metabolism moving..... Don't beat yourself up! Before surgery we were probably eating 2500-3000 calories a day..... big difference if you think about it!!

Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

I also wouldn't worry too much about the 1200 number but it's good you caught yourself indulging in a habit you don't want to repeat.

There actually is a good amount of regaining on this site but the way it's organized is not always the easiest to locate. I wish this site had a FAQ section!

I put a bunch of info together in my healthplan group so you can check it out...pay particular attention to the comments in the Carnie Wilson article from gastric bypass patients...most of whom regained their weight. It's scary.

http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/g...r-stomach.html
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member cowgirldiva17's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    07/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-19-2015 05:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for being honest and sharing with us all. I can't say I have been in your shoes (not yet...soon!) but I just wanted to encourage you anyways. You know what you need to do. Don't beat yourself up about it. And you are right..not too many people talk about that part of the journey. "grazing" is something I find myself doing even now. I could be easily added a few hundred calories to my day. enough said...have a blessed day!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sonja
    Surgery date
    05/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Samuel Szomstein
    Last Activity
    12-10-2015 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 191 Times in 178 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 124 Times

I will have to watch out for the soft calories...cookies, cakes, candies, shakes. Those will be my downfall. So far I've only cheated once since surgery with a couple bites of chocolate cake. It was good, but not that good. It was my old brain still trying to kick in! Yesterday I tried 3 buffalo chicken chunks dipped in lowfat ranch. WRONG choice for two weeks post op. Too spicy. I was miserable for over an hour and wasnt sure if it was going to stay down or not. I know I am going to really toss inches when I start more toning and longer walks soon. This is really all about trial and error. You can have all the info you want, but in the end, your way of thinking has to change. It's a daily process...I'm working this program as an alcoholic would work AA. My brain is slowly getting with the program because my body is telling it different information than it used to. Making a mistake here or there is teaching me valuable lessons. I know I will not fail! We can do this

Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Garcia
    Last Activity
    04-25-2013 07:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 260 Times

I would think that 1200 cal. would be okay to consume and still lose weight. I am sure we all "fall off the wangon" every now and then. We get in trouble when we start eating unhealthy foods on a regular basis.
    Sonja- Bufflo chicken wings 2 weeks postop- ouch!
    Everybody keep up the great job as I will joining you soon in sleeveland!

Gastric Sleeve Member cathyp357's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael Feiz
    Last Activity
    09-30-2012 10:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

I routinely eat between 1200 and 1400 calories on the advice of my personal trainer and I have continued to lose weight. According to her, 1200 calories is the minimum at which you will not lose muscle, but only fat. So don't beat yourself up. None of us will be perfect on this journey. Best of luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member leamarieb's Avatar
    Name
    Lea
    Surgery date
    04/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Northup
    Last Activity
    11-07-2013 12:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I also aim for at least 1200 calories a day, with a goal of between 1200 and 1500. I may not lose as fast as if I kept to 800 or so, but I have a lot more energy than I did at 800, and this feels like a much more sustainable level over the long-term. I just make sure to do protein 1st, then veggies, then carbs for my meals and no snacking.
    I may be a SLOW loser, but I'm still a loser!!

Gastric Sleeve Member RussianBlue_x2's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-15-2013 03:43 PM
    Said "Thanks" 80 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,433 Times

Calorie wise, you are okay, maybe a bit high for the stage you are in but nothing to be concerned about, and certainly don't beat yourself up! You will be fine. From your post, I can tell you realize what the problem was - grazing on higher calorie foods and not planning your meals and snacks carefully. We must maintain our diligence, because this sleeve is a great tool but needs to be controlled by a brain.

I sabotaged myself for a couple of weeks in April by not tracking all my foods in SP, and when I would get hungry on those days I made bad choices, e.g. eating a bunch of nuts. I would eat little handfuls at a time, but over the day it added up to a lot. No wonder I didn't lose any weight for 2+ weeks. We don't always make the best choices, but the fact that you are on this forum posting about it and realize what went wrong indicates that you are on the right track to fixing things. It's the people who just give up, don't track or don't change their old habits who are going to fail. No one said this was going to be an easy journey. After 7 1/2 months, I still spend much of my day planning what to eat and tracking what I ate, just so I can continue down the right path. I just know myself well, and know that if I don't plan and track I will get lazy about eating and will stall... or worse. I never want to get where I was before so I am willing to work hard and be diligent. It sounds like you are too. Good luck.
    Highest weight = 250, March 2011
    Surgery weight = 223, Oct 31, 2011
    1st goal weight (148) reached July 24, 2012
    2nd goal weight (140) reached Oct 27, 2012... 1 year post-op

Before & After Picture (at 11 Months Post-Op, 80 lbs gone!)

Gastric Sleeve Member incredibleshrnkngshirly's Avatar
    Name
    Shirley
    Surgery date
    07/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Terry Scarborough
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,398 Times

Thank you all so much, and Tictac30...I felt like the only one who was making bad choices and being lazy with this program. I have no excuses for eating cookies, cake, whatever....I started out so good, but almost a year after surgery and I'm not at goal. I even went as far as to tell myself AND others...that perhaps I set my GOAL too HIGH!!! Over eaters will lie, cheat, and steal our way out of many programs...heck, I joined Weight Watchers so many times they felt sorry for me and offered to make me a charter member anyway!!! Not really of course but you all know what I mean....I would feel so guilty and undeserving of even being on this forum...I would read how well everyone was doing and be so happy for all of you, then feel so stupid and inadequate for not doing my best! So after reading this, I'm going to go take a walk, start a new habit of having an early morning walk....thank you for posting this...most folks would not want to admit our mess ups...I feel like I can say HELP now and not be judged...thank God for this forum...and for all of you folks!

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

1200 cals is not that bad! I agree with Russian Blue that at this early stage, it might just be a little high, but nothing off the wall! Don't beat yourself up! Just wake up the following day and go back to the program. Don't let it become a habit and you will be fine! Big hugs to you!

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.