Dr noil Williams
    Last Activity
    09-30-2012 08:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Upset

Ok so let's me say I have been going threw all kinds of testing for the last 3months as most of you know we all do well my last visit I had a phyc eval I had to pay 275 to see this guy well I was in the office for about 15 mins he ask me what. Ed's I was on I told him he asked why WELL why did I tell him that for I told him i am bi-polar or have symptoms and am taking meds for it and I've been doing great well long story short he needed to talk to my phyc doctor he approved everything and said I'm not bi-polar and I'm capable of getting the surgery well now he having a hard time allowing me to get the sleeve I mean I worked at my job for 4 yrs I have 3 kids and married for 12 yrs wtf if that AI t stable I don't what is I'm VERY upset because he judging me cause of (mental issues ) said my phyc I also don't know why they make you wait till ur appt to see a phyc it should be ur first appt so we don't waste money on copay's I put out at least 1000 and all this time and getting sitters taking off work to comply with they need done I jus t don't see any good in this and may just have to go to mexico all tho I'm scared to even enterain that idea SO SORRY I'm venting and have only my hubby to talk to

Just taking it one day at a time everything will work itself out sooner or later

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tina
    Surgery date
    04/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Robert li
    Last Activity
    04-09-2013 07:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 248 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,883 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Upset

I feel sad for you. Hopefully this will all work itself out and you can get your sleeve as planed keep us posted. Good Luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I am so sorry. Did they provide any suggestions of what can be done so you can get approved? A preop diet or some other way to show your committment? I personally have not found the mental health professionals to be that helpful. I was seeing someone over my "eating issues" and was getting NOWHERE after many months. She was against having the surgery because in her view over eating is always an emotional/mental issue (to a hammer, everything looks like a nail). While I certainly acknowledge that over eating has an emotional and bad habit component... let's not rule out the physical reasons that morbidly obese people have such a hard time losing weight! The last straw was when she gave me this "great" book about a woman who named her eating disorder "Ed". I couldn't relate to any of that crap - I definately overate to get so overweight, but I didn't binge, I didn't eat in secret and I simply could not relate to having my relationship with food being considered a separate thing named Ed or Sally or anything. It was the final thing that made me realize that we were not on common ground. Anyway, my insurance accepted a letter from her because she was very professional - and even though she was "anti WLS" she did see that I had realistic expectations, that I was motivated and had researched what I was getting into and gave her approval. I do want to say something regarding mental health and this surgery. The preop diet, the anxiety leading up to the surgery and the first month or two post surgery can be pretty demanding and even stressful. I didn't have a big reaction to the reduction of food (it was more of a relief to not be so hungry 24/7) but some people do. You will sometimes hear stories on this forum from people who feel like they can't take it and they always get past it, but, just be aware. For me personally, this surgery and finding a new routine took a lot of effort and energy. I didn't get depressed, but I did feel kinda blah there for awhile and I think it is just a reaction to the surgery, the radical reduction in calories, the rapid weight loss releasing so much estrogen. Making time for the gym, making time to really follow the food rules, all that stuff takes alot of focus during a time when you might be feeling depressed or "blah". I mention this as it sounds like you have a very busy life, I have no idea about your bipolar, but when you get your surgery, plan for the worst and expect the best! Good luck and don't let this setback get you down.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tarheel2012's Avatar
    Name
    GT
    Surgery date
    02/04/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-05-2020 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

I can truly understand how frustrating this is to you...I went through something very similar. I started researching the lap-bad in 2007 and became very excited about it. My insurance covered it...I was a great candidate...then I lost my job! I started working for another company...and was introduced to the sleeve...super excited about it...come to find out my new company didn't cover any weight loss surgery procedures. With my current company now going on a year and a half... they require you to work for 6 months before you can receive full benefits...I did that! Then find out that they require a 6 month supervised diet plan (out of pocket)...I used My Weight Loss Doctors $187 a month for 6 months =$1122. I did all of the psy exams, dietician visits etc and paid for them out of pocket! Only to be told that my BMI was to low even with all my co-morbidities (high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and family history of stroke and heart disease) I was 274lbs. I felt defeated and betrayed...I knew I needed help and was determined to get it! I researched medical tourism and went back and forth about it for months before I made the decision to go alone to Tijuana, Mexico and have the sleeve done with Dr. Almanza! I had never had any major surgery, never stayed over-night in the hospital and didn’t tell anyone but my best friend about what I was doing (I didn’t want to worry my family and friends). I am almost 4 months post-op and 191 lbs (blood pressure is 100/69 cholesterol is normal and in range, no sleep apnea and I’m learning how to care for myself each and every day! I am by no means advertising or campaigning for you to go the medical tourism route or even have the sleeve surgery. What I’m saying is take control of your life and your health and don’t let others dictate how healthy you are. FIGHT…if it means seeing other doctors, appealing decisions or looking at other weight loss options…FIGHT! I can promise you…nobody is going to do it for you! It’s ok to be upset…but when you’re not upset…get determine. Sorry for this being so wordy…I just know how you feel and it sucks…good luck on your journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Bina
    Last Activity
    04-09-2014 11:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times

I would suggest going in and talking to your Doc in a calm matter and bring the letter for your Psych saying you are approved for surgery on his watch. They were pushing me for a Psych I had to call insurance and found our my policy does not require it. BCBS normally does but mine did not otherwise they were just going by the "book". I also did not need to see the Nutr but it is a doc and hosp rule of some kind. It was nothing more then I did not know from 2 years of reaseach. Take your fate in your hands and push with this doc OR ask for ALL your records and find another doc. I think if you stay away from the "big WLS" places and find an individual he will take what you have already done and pick up on the next step. Keep you eye on the prize and dont give up your dream. =)
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wktSten/]

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents