Dr. Stowers
    Last Activity
    03-24-2013 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Dealing with hunger?

I haven't been able to decide if it's mental or physical, but I've been dealing with hunger way more often than usual for the last month or so. Literally, I have stayed at 236 for at LEAST two weeks, which doesn't happen with me.

I'm leaning towards the mental aspect of it, probably out of being upset or bored. Like right now, past 10PM I'm hungry. I probably should just go to bed and not think about it, but that's so hard to do. Has anyone else had these problems??? I'm really hoping I haven't f***** up my surgery already.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLacey's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Yu
    Said "Thanks" 294 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 105 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dealing with hunger?

Don't give up!! You got this!! Hang in there!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-24-2012 11:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Jayjay respectfully I can only weigh in on what I know thus far due to my surgery being sometime in Aug, early hopefully. My first Dietician visit couple weeks ago involved the basics and her also telling me that the psychological aspect of hunger pains can and likely would be there, some patients more than others. With the removal of the stomach's ghrelin organ and thus reducing ghrelin in your bloodstream, the theory (yes still a theory as of now) is that you only have to deal with the psy-hunger portion which still exists.

Wish I had an answer but highly recommend consulting your Doctor and Dietician on this.

Name
    Twyla
    Surgery date
    08/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 11:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 94 Times
    Was Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,153 Times

Hey Jordan. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes my head just pushes and pushes and pushes for food. Doesn't matter the time, day or night. Doesn't matter if I've just eaten. Doesn't matter if I ate what I really wanted, I still want more. I call them my binge times. And whether they're right or wrong, it's part of me. I try getting up and doing something, try to fight the boredom or unrest. But sometimes nothing works. What I do then is sit down and REALLY think about what I want. When I've decided that, then I think some more about if that's what I really want. I hate when I eat what I think I want and then after I'm done, I realize I really didn't want that and then I'm on the look again. So my advice is to listen to your body and then listen some more. I feel that a little binge is okay provided it doesn't get out of control, and only you can control it. Hopefully this makes sense. All the best! I'll be thinking of you.

SMILE!! It makes people wonder what you're up to!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I went through a really "hungry" time recently. I was wondering if it was time to freak out, like my "weight loss window" was closing. I was also running out of steam, especially doing high energy activities like my aqua aerobics, elliptical and hill climbs. I took a step back, reevaluated my food/protein/carb/calorie and activity level and decided I wasn't getting enough calories or carbs OR fluids for my current activity level. I started drinking alot more, eating a litle more, in a planned way, focus on protein first but having some carbs too, and voila, no more "hungry". My weight loss rate has improved again since making that change. I even went back to some protein drinks and bars because I was getting maybe 45-55 g a day before, and I do better when I exceed the recommended 60g and am more like at 70-80g a day range.

In my case, I have been steadily increasing activity/working out at the gym, but when the weather turned nice I have been doing LOTS more activity and i think that is what kind of triggered things needed to be re-adjusted. I suspect that it was the fluids and carbs that were the main issue and my body was asking for more - but I experienced it as "hunger"

I also get head hunger. My main vice is eating in the evenings. I haven't been able to stop it, but I have been able to make it a planned snack, controlled portion of healthy good and making that work okay.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member melanie0941's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Schmitt
    Last Activity
    11-15-2015 12:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 44 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 55 Times

Keep an eye on the carbs and protein you are eating... Get on some kind of software program that keeps up with carbs, protein, calories etc. I use Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com but there are others out there that are just as good I'm sure.
    In my case, if I start eating more carbs, I am more hungry. I want food all the time... When I cut the carbs way back and increase the protein, the hunger goes away. Just something to look at...
    Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

9. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

I've been struggling with this too. I've recently raised my protein goal from 50g to 70g and eat a few more carbs. It's helped a bit, but I definitely struggle with the late night munchies still. I've started making sure that I have extra calories and room at the end of the day so I can have a snack. My latest treat is 1/2c 2% milk fat cottage cheese with a teaspoon of sugar free jello mix stirred in. It sounds weird, I know, but it's an old Weight Watchers snack that I suddenly remembered recently. It satisfied a need for sweets late at night while also providing protein and calcium. If I don't want something sweet, I will have a packet of cream of chicken soup mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with Unjury cream of chicken protein powder.

Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Cookie T.
    Surgery date
    02/02/2012
    Last Activity
    12-30-2013 11:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Although I no longer get hunger pangs -- I do get famished and weak when I need food. I agree - if you are eating alot of carbs your body craves more - and I figured out some foods early on that I can still eat ALOT of -- so I stay away from those particular foods. Otherwise, I eat what I want - good or bad - figure if I am eating only 2 or 3 bites it won't matter, and it hasn't so far. I am using my weight watcher app to chart what I eat and when I exercise but I don't look at it too much - I do gauge my protein -- I need at least 60 grams per day - and I cannot eat that much so I supplement with protein energy shots (25grm) -- about 2 months post op I was stalled and mentioned that I went to bed with that same empty feeling I used to get when I was starving myself -- the nutritionist told me to drink a little moo-topia choc milk (12grm prot for 8oz) an hour before bed -- not alot -- so I drink a 3oz shot of it -- totally helps -- and within a couple of days I started losing again. When I need a little boost - I do it at other times too - like post exercise. I have never been a milk person either -- so I have found my tastes have changed a bit too.
    So far for me --- I weigh every Thursday - that way I enjoy the weekend and have a couple of days to make sure all is ok. The weight of my shoulders is almost as good as the weight off my behind!
    I also noticed when told about prilosec, and other antiacids -- if I just quit eating so much I didn't have the issues. I start hiccupping or feel tight around my chest when I have had too much to eat so I try to stop before that. There is the OLD me that says --- but I NEED to finish that lovely (whatever food it is) and the new mindset that says --- one more bite and you will exxplode!!
    My mental weight-loss feels awesome --- I like being in control!
    Good luck!