Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

Default Re: Hungry!

Some of the issue is likely acid. Are you on a PPI?

Some of the issue could be that you are not drinking enough. Are you getting a minimum of 8 glasses of water (or other non-caffinated, non-carbonated, calorie free drink)?

Some of the issue could be how and what you are eating at meal times. Are you always eating protein first? What kind of protein? This is very important. There is a huge difference in how long I stay sated if I eat a bowl of soup vs. a piece of chicken or a turkey burger. You are far enough out from surgery that you could probably eat red meat, and you will be shocked at how little you need and how long you stay full.

In terms of portion control, at this stage in the game, you should be weighing and measuring what you eat so that you learn to recognize what a "real" serving is. I will typically eat 3-4 oz of meat and 1/2 to 1 cup of veggies at dinner and be completely satisfied. Sometimes I can't finish the veggies.

And of course, the final issue is that you probably have a fair amount of head hunger going on. I have the same problem. Sometimes I will allow myself a treat but I do it within reason and I track EVERYTHING. If I allow myself the treat, it might just be a teaspoon (or sometimes a tablespoon) of peanut butter, or it might be string cheese. Always something small and something with protein. Be careful not to fall into the habit of always having something, but don't beat yourself up if you do.

Good luck!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Helbling
    Last Activity
    11-18-2013 08:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 186 Times in 173 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 301 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Nadolphi View Post
    Is it head hunger when your stomach feels like a washing machine? It feels physical to me. I would say acid but I am having the acid relief pills so confused.
    It's probably still acid. I had bouts of that too. Drink some hot tea or sugar free hot chocolate.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/16/2013
    Surgeon
    dr Cheuseleb
    Last Activity
    04-26-2013 06:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I am week post and I am hungry and not losing thery weight think I shoulf have made. I am getting so upset with myself, I feel like i did all of this for nothing, this is crazy that I should feel this hungry

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Acosta
    Last Activity
    03-28-2014 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Nadine. I struggled with acid for a few months after surgery. I had what I would call knawing feelings in my stomach that I would have considered physical hunger before surgery. It took some time and a prescription acid reducer and that has gone away completely. I do sometimes still feel stomach hunger which is completely satisfied by drinking fluids.
    Maybe an increase in acid reducer would help?

Surgery date
    02/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dennis Lewis
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 29 Times

When I am hungry outside of meals the first thing I do is drink as much water as my stomach will allow. If I'm still feeling hungry 15-30 minutes later, THEN I prepare a healthy snack (but I also wait for the 1st bite until 30 minutes after the water).

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12