01/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Kim
    Last Activity
    09-06-2014 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

Default WTH Is Up With All The WLS Bashing??!!??

It seems like over the past few days I have heard nothing but WLS bashing. I have read story after inspirational story on the internet about people who lost alot of weight and then I go to comments section of the article and people are all like, "Great job for having the strength to do it on your own instead of having that nasty surgery," or "Well done for doing it the "right" way instead of the easy way with surgery," or even "Glad you lost the weight, but you should have never gotten so fat to begin with." I mean, what the hell!!!!! It's like the whole world gets on your ass about it being so big, but then they also want to make you feel ashamed of how you're losing it or they make stupid comments about how you should never have let yourself get so fat. It's like because I carry extra weight (for whatever the reason) I will NEVER be forgiven by society no matter what size I am. I guess the final straw was my sister, who went on a diet the same week I told her I was having the sleeve done, when she told me this morning that she has lost 45 pounds and she didn't have to destroy her body with surgery to do it. Really? I mean, I have been very supportive of her about her diet and every time she posts a new picture on Facebook, I give her encouraging words and tell her how proud I am of her and then she is going to turn around and slap me in the face like that? As much as I wanted to rip her a new one, I kept my temper in check and calmly explained that I did not destroy my body with surgery and that having the surgery does not make me any less accountable than her. My sleeve may only allow me to eat so much, but I still have to make the decision about what I eat. Eating 1,000 calories a day of lean protein, veggies, yogurt and fruit is NOT the same as eating 1,000 calories a day of junk food. I have to decide to eat whole and nutritionally sound food. I have to decide to take my vitamins and supplements to stay healthy. I have to decide not to have a piece of cake or eat a half dozen cookies. I also have to decide to get off my butt and walk 3 miles a day and weight train 3 times a week. My sleeve certainly doesn't make these decisons for me. I make them. My sleeve helps me control my appetite. It allows me to push the plate away when I feel full. But the rest is up to me. Period. Is WLS helpful...ABSOLUTELY! Is WLS the easy way out...ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Sorry for the long post....just needed to vent to people who know where I am coming from.
    “If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.” ~Jack Dixon

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ata Ahmad
    Last Activity
    11-13-2013 01:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: WTH Is Up With All The WLS Bashing??!!??

We hear you and we feel you. :-)

Name
    James
    Surgery date
    12/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Dexter Turnquest
    Last Activity
    10-20-2014 03:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 170 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,543 Times
    Blog Entries

I imagine you are similar to me, that is if you could of lost it without the surgery you would have! I know people that sit there and say to me 'I lost 23 pounds last year'. Really? If I had only 23 pounds to lose I could do that. But considering I lost 68 pounds in about 3.5 months tell me how you would do that?
    There is a lot of money in the weight loss industry too. I think a lot of the bashing is to save the money train from all of us yoyo dieters.

Truth is I ignore it. Ignorance is bliss when it is left alone...
    In HIM all can be,

James
    www.jamesknox.net
    "Change is the only thing in life that is guaranteed. So I choose to embrace this change!"
    Friend me on 'My Fitness Pal'

Gastric Sleeve Member VixenPin-up's Avatar
    Name
    Brandi
    Surgery date
    03/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stowers
    Last Activity
    01-02-2014 09:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I wish there was an easy way to weight loss. I lost 50 lbs on my own and then gained it all back. Now with the weight loss surgery I am figuring out that eating slow and small portions are ok. People who post horrible comments like that are those that have never had a weight problem or don't see this as help.

Surgery date
    01/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    11-19-2013 05:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I have been on the roller coaster all my life. On three separate occasions I lost between 50-95 pounds, only to gain most or all of it back within a year or two. There is no easy way, and while WLS helps take away the problem of hunger, it certainly isn't easy. In fact, I have done HCG, SlimFast, Weight Watchers, etc.... And those seemed easier... But not effective for me. I built a new fence a few weeks ago and nearly killed myself from dehydration. Who thought being able to drink half a gallon of fluid would be such a challenge? Or eating enough to survive when you haven't had an appetite for months. And I have been exercising more now than I ever have before. And don't even get me started on the pain and discomfort after surgery. No, WLS is not easy, and idiots that are ignorant to this, well I give zero flips to them. As they say, hater's gonna hate. WLS is a long term solution to fix a problem we have NOW. Maybe in 50 years they will invent a morning after pill for overeating, but until they do this was the only solution for me, to ensure I will be around to watch my son grow up.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member dmgriffith92's Avatar
    Name
    Dawn Griffith
    Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-20-2014 09:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 370 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so sick of hearing it to and I still I have two days to wait before it's my day. My family and friends are all like if you can handle the 10 liquid diet you can handle lossing weight on your own see its not that hard. Umm liquid diet not that hard maybe they need to try it. My husband didn't last a day. Do you know how bad I want to go out buy a big rib eye steak and have a loaded baked potatoe and a salad with cheese sticks and sauce. If it were not for me getting this sleeve and wanting to have this tool to help me get over that huge eating problems, and actually feeling full instead of feeling like I'm starving to death on a diet it would have worked for me. But I can't go around feeling hungry all the time. With this it will allow me to eat and feel full that much faster. Yes I will have to continue to log everything that hits my mouth but there is nothing wrong with having help and thats what WLS is, is help.

Name
    Evelyn
    Surgery date
    04/17/2013
    Surgeon
    ALMANZA
    Last Activity
    08-07-2016 03:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,338 Times
    Blog Entries

I think its all the publicity from the Biggest Loser finally. My guess anyway

Name
    Christina
    Surgery date
    02/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Kelvin Higa
    Last Activity
    03-13-2018 11:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

That burns my booty we make a choice to get healthy it shouldn't matter if we have surgery or how we do it. Just goes to show you how judgmental people are and no matter what we do people will talk trash. Sad but true

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

At the risk of repeating myself ......

fuck 'em!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member CassieCat's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Mary Estakhri
    Last Activity
    10-22-2018 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Being fat is the last socially UNACCEPTABLE thing there is. You can't make racist jokes. Religious jokes, etc. But you can make fat jokes and no one cares. You don't get banned from playing a comedy club or it isn't the front page newspaper if a Hollywood Star makes a "fat" tirad. People who chose surgery, do so as a last resort. Its not the first thing on your "to do" list.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member while.im.still.young's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 09:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 94 Times
    Blog Entries

When I first told my mother and my sister that I wanted to get the sleeve they both had some pretty harsh things to say. My mother (who is now much more supportive after having gone to an appointment with my surgeon with me) told me "maybe you should elect to have your mouth sewn shut and you would get the same results". Which may be true, but completely not practical. Haha. My sister is still not very supportive of my decision and takes every opportunity to remind me of how "drastic" it is. Oh well, I'm getting healthy for ME not for them anyway!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Di
    Surgery date
    02/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza Mexico
    Last Activity
    05-12-2015 06:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

What a skinny person doesn't get and never will is the fact that a FAT person has a super ability to lose weight. I do not know of one fat person who has not lost a substantial amount of weight. In fact most of us do it annually or at least bi-annually. couple years ago I did the HCG program. Did awesome. Lost a small boats worth of weight. The SECOND I started to eat carbs again I was doomed. 45# back on my ass plus another 10# just for shits and giggles. Fat people can lose weight. Just ask one. What a fat person CAN'T do well is to keep it off. I guess I will see how well this "TOOL" works in the long run in about 1 or 2 years. I don't know if it will have "Cured" my fatso-ness but by GOD it was my choice to make. Not the neighbor or my sisters or my parents. It was MY choice. I live with the consequences! Not my bartender or therapist. People are gunna think what they are gunna think and there ain't shit we can do about it. The only thing we hold in our power is to prove the MF'ers wrong. Stay on program, eat the right kind of food in the right amount, lose enough weight so you can exercise without pain killers and tell them in three years when they have gained their weight back plus that shits and giggles 10#'s "HOW DO LIKE ME NOW"?

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/31/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Kramer
    Last Activity
    10-27-2014 09:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Yes, I agree with you all. It is definitely not on our "to do" list. If I could have lost the weight myself, I would not have put myself through the surgery and all the negativity that some people share about it. Every diet I have tried, I would lose a few pounds and then gain that back plus about 10 or 20 more. As far as the Biggest Loser goes, I love the show, but realisticly these people exercise about 6-8 hours a day and who can do that in real life? I mean most of us have jobs, children, etc and cannot spend 6-8 hours in the gym. So, go away haters..LOL!

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Jillian whats her name makes me want to slap her.....abusive biotch.

And, look back on your post in about 18 months and see if your sister KEPT that weight off....because you will.

AND, you don't see people ragging on folks who need bypass heart surgery...well, now you should just exercise and you never should have gotten all that cholesterol in your veins in the first place..... both are genetic.... but you can't see veins and you can see swollen fat cells. Just saying.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    06-10-2013 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Funny thing to me,is...do those pencil-necks think this surgery is easy???? Do you REALLY think the being cut open, healing, learning how to re-eat was easy?? Hell no!! Think to yourself what youve accomplished. I know not many people that could have endured the surgery & all the post-op issues. You are VERY strong for having made that decision-it was not easy.

And lets not forget that being on the weight loss rollar coaster is unhealthy. Going up and down,all over the place--which is something you wont end up doing. The people that can spout off about 'doing it on their own'? Good luck to them, theyll be back up there in no time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast