Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-24-2014 04:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times

Default Today had enough...everyone against my surgery

Not one peson is on my side for this op, everyone against it, including parents, kids, husband...most friends...in bed depressed today.........dont know what to do.........

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ms.lovely65's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    06/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-03-2016 01:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 109 Times
    Was Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Today had enough...everyone against my surgery

Going through the same. But only we know in the end what makes us happy. I've spent sooo much money taking unhealthy diet pills, etc. overexercing and having negative feelings regarding my inability to control my weight. I truly believe that my God works through doctors, etc. a lot of people may be against it out of fear of what could happen bad, or they are forced to look at what changes the may want or need to make in their lives, but don't out of fear. In the end I must just Accept their concern and do what's I feel is best for me and not turn this wonderful opportunity into something negative and instead rejoice. Forgive and continue to focus on good. This too shall pass.". God bless!

Gastric Sleeve Member sheflys435's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-12-2013 04:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Keep your head up. If you want to have the surgery to better your life and your health than do it. when your friends and family see you loosing weight and getting healthier than they will begin to support you. You are away from your husband right now right? I am sure he is just worried for you especially because you are going to Mexico with out him. That is why my husband was worried but now that I am home he is just as happy as I am about the surgery. Just stay strong and look to this forum for support most other people just don't understand.

Gastric Sleeve Member Chief_Geek's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wisbach
    Last Activity
    07-19-2012 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times
    Blog Entries

You have to do what is right for you. Most folks do not understand what the WLS is all about and have not done the research to ever understand what it is your about to undertake. My wife as also against this surgery and didn't understand why I was doing it, until I lose my wiehg and how she is interesting in having it done also. This is the reason why I didn't tell most of the people around me that i have even had my surgery and only told my sister and best friend and of course my wife. No one else knows. They are all just so happy I have lost my weight.

It is like I tell the Pre-ops in our monthly support group meeting, WLS is a personel decision and is one you make for yourself. It does not matter what anyone else thinks. You making this decision based on making yourself heathlier and living a better life. If you have your surgery, you will find out who really are your friends and who are not. That will include spouses as we have had to work on that area in my marriage. As in my case my wife thinks I am getting skinnier and going to leave her.

Another reason is that most people think the WLS is a shortcut to losing weigh, when in fact it is the opposite. What it is however and the better choice in the long term weight lose department in controlling the amount of food intake for the rest of your life.

In the end, you have to do what is right for you and you alone. It's not about what others around you think. Yes it would be great to have their support, but some times that does happen for whatever their reason are. This is someting you are doing for yourself to help you live longer and enjoy life better.

Good luck on your efforts and your decision.

Name
    crystal
    Surgery date
    06/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. almanza
    Last Activity
    11-06-2014 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 71 Times
    Blog Entries

those who are against it research the sleeve with them. Then you both will be on the same level of understanding, they may still not approve but at least they will understand. good luck with you journey

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sarahfinlay's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/25/2012
    Surgeon
    Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-24-2014 04:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times

Thank you Donna....let us know how you are doing...much love...Sarah

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/23/2012
    Surgeon
    DR. Rush
    Last Activity
    03-15-2013 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Sarah, the question is WHAT DO YOU WANT and do you want it bad enough, is your mind made up, have you done enough reasearch on the sleeve and are you ready to defend your decision to get surgery to lose weight? If the answer is yes then you are ready to stand up to them with facts. Tell your husband that you are doing this for you, you understand his/their fears and concerns and this is the risks and benefits for having the GS surgery. Once you decide if you truly want this procedure it will be easy to explain why to everyone. Good luck to you as you make your decision to get healthy once and for all. I for one am 100% happy about my decision to get this surgery and will defend it to the end.
    Blessings to you always .

Gastric Sleeve Member Everdreamer's Avatar
    Name
    Gigi
    Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villareal
    Last Activity
    08-15-2016 08:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 19 Times
    Blog Entries

Sarah...how tall are you? I am not trying to be negative here at all as I would recommend the sleeve to anyone but if you only have 60 lbs to lose I would say try another option first.....I mean...unless you REALLY feel you have a problem with the ups and downs of weight loss. I have to lose over 100lbs...If I was under 200 lbs and 60 lbs from goal this would not be an option for me.....obviously I am not you but the thing is...if you have little to lose you will lose it slower anyway....does that make sense? You will likely lose at the same rate as if you did it on your own. have you ever been heavier than you are right now? If not, I would reconsider....you may not need it. It is a drastic thing to do to your body no matter how you justify it. For people like me it is our last hope.....but if you can stick to a program with exercise and eating right you can lose on your own.....you have to with the sleeve anyway...diet and exercise I mean....it would likely take you at least 6-12 months to lose your excess weight with the sleeve...you may even be able to lose faster without it. Like I said..not being negative...actually being positive because you may not need this and why do it if it will take just as long or longer. Now...if your current weight is a low weight and you have been at a much higher weight then that is different......I just don't want you to think that because people here are losing 60-80 lbs so quick that the same will hold true for you....the heavier we are, the more we lose quickly......would hate for you to do this and be disappointed.....just being honest...sorry :/

Surgery date
    05/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Miginty
    Last Activity
    08-31-2012 10:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry u feel that way...but i kinda was in the same boat, because wen i brought it up to my husband & kids they aall were like u shouldn't do it cause it's dangerous and u don't know wat can happen to u...and u gona go through changes wen it comes to eating...i told them i know ur all against it, but at the end of it all i'm the one who's gona better herself...so with that being said i'm going through with the surgery and at the end they stuck by me and i had my gastric bypass on 5/8/12 and i feel soo much healthier & happier that i've lost 34lbs...from 263-229...so keep ur head and do what's rite for u... ((*-*))

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Chris Wong @ Spire
    Last Activity
    07-26-2015 11:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I have 12 weeks to go until my surgery date and for me it's not just about losing the weight it's about keeping the weight off. I'm a little heavier than you at 199lbs but this is after losing 50lbs and then regaining 14 of those on and off for the last 2 years by following a diet of shakes for a period of time. I have at least 56lbs to lose and to keep off but i am lucky in that my partner had his sleeve 5 and a half months ago and has done superbly well and is fully supportive of me having this done. In fact if it wasn't for him it wouldn't be possible for me to have this surgery.
    I can understand your families concerns but I can also empathise with how you currently feel. maybe they are scared that it will change you and the family dynamics? But they have to see the positive effect it will have on you as a person especially if you feel that you can't get out of bed today.......good luck on your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeveinbama's Avatar
    Name
    vicki
    Surgery date
    08/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Andrew Dewitt
    Last Activity
    08-09-2014 11:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times
    Blog Entries

I too, was the same way!! But like I told them, this is my body and I have been overweight since the 3rd grade and I will be 50 in a few months , that I wanted a healthy life for ME, not them!! I stood up to people that have voiced their opinion!! My mind is made up and there is no changing it. I am just patiently waiting on the final approval and a DATE!!!!!