Wow! what a host of info, I know a lady that weighs about 400 lbs. she has gastric bypass surgery 3 yrs ago and has gained every lb back plus some, she can't walk, she is in a mobil scooter. she hates herself for not following her plan, I asked her if she would do it again and she said no, she has no self control. why on earth would a dr perform this surgery on a person who isn't ready for it. as most of you have stated its a tool, we have to do the rest, our brain has to be trained what we want. We have to change our eating habits, our ways of life, such as getting more active. I know at the begining of my weight loss I didn't exercise, but now I go to the pool at least 3-4 times a week, and this past month I have tried (tried) to do sit ups, but I have done more than I ever did. I also have another friend who had gastric bypass, lost almost 200 lbs, she weighs about 170 now, but everytime we go out, she eats things she shouldn't! she eats sweets and runs to the bathroom and she looks so pale and gets so sick, then as soon as she feels better she's eating again. I worry that she will regain her weight if she isn't careful. I try to eat healthy, but there is always temptations. at home, at work, in general. So we need to train our brain not to over indulge. I have been about the same weight now for a few months, I can't get that last few lbs to go away for good! but I don't give up, I know that sooner or later they will come off, and I can say yes!!! I worked hard to get where I am and I am not going to let a piece of chocolate or cake to hold me back, we are all fighting the same demon, but with determination, and each other we will do this! but we do have to remember that this surgery is a tool, and it is us that decides if this tool is going to work for us. Great post, I loved reading all the information. we all need to hear this from time to time. it is our way to help us keep control. thank you for this post.