Surgeon
    Dr. Landerholm
    Last Activity
    10-08-2012 09:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Default What did you tell others about surgery?

I, like almost everyeone else here have tried every known weight loss program, hell, I should own stock in Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. I have struggled with weight loss (really weight gain as I was not successful at weight loss) since my twenties. Now at 48, I have a 9 year son, weigh 276 pounds, have GERD, hyperlipidemia, obstructive sleep apnea, and my sugars are starting to run high. I have dementia on both sides of my family, as well as heart disease. Obesity is a risk factors for these and so many others. Also like others, I am not stupid, and successful by even my own high standards. I am a nurse practitioner with a doctorate degree specialized in caring for elders and terminally ill, but obesity has gotten the best of me so far.

I have mentioned that I was considering the sleeve to several people (have not told them it is scheduled and happening in two weeks), and gotten responses such as "why," "you don't need that," etc. My work, which is a close group of health professionals just know that I am having "surgery" and will be out two weeks. No one has asked what I am having done, so I can only imagine what they have created in their minds.

Did others have a reluctance to tell family and friends and if so why? How did you respond to this reluctance? I believe that surgery is the only answer for me, for my health, and for my family, so why don't I just tell people?

Thanks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    02/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Leblanc
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What did you tell others about surgery?

I have read a lot about the emotional side of overeating and weight loss surgery. I researched this for almost 2years before I had the surgery. I am open, upfront and proud of what my sleeve is doing for me. I pretty much am an open book about most things in my life, my philosophy is if you dont want to know about me dont ask. I am happy about the reception of my friends and family. My hubby was not for me getting the sleeve at first, but after much research I finally sat down with him one day and explained that I was comfortable with the risks and that I had decided that this was the best choice for me and that it was up for debate that I was moving forward with this. He got on board quickly after that talk. I have found cheerleaders in some of the most unusual places, for instance, there is a man we know from church that has dieted and worked out for the last 6 months he has lost 60 pounds and is genuinely excited about my weight loss. Everytime I see him he asks, ok how many pounds now? I am so glad not to have heard "easy way out" . If that is being said it is not within earshot of me. I think a lot of it is b/c of my attitude about what I did to improve my overall quality of life. It may not be for everybody, but it is for me. Good luck with your journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member themouse1960's Avatar
    Name
    Phyllis
    Surgery date
    10/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Aceves
    Last Activity
    10-04-2016 04:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 66 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 110 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times
    Blog Entries

My husband knows and a few close friends. I figure it isn't anyones business. However, when people ask me what I have been doing I tell them I have been working very hard at weight loss...which isn't a lie. I exercise at least 6 days a week. I have cut out sugar & carbs. I gave up diet pepsi and caffeine. I don't drink mochas anymore. The sleeve is a tool-but you still have to put forth an effort. I have put forth said effort and it is paying off!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wade Barker
    Last Activity
    04-15-2013 10:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times

I told all my teacher friends, I told all my students, I told just about everyone I talk to on a regular basis - almost anybody who'll listen, lol. I was so damn excited with my decision to do this! I researched it for almost 18 months, so any naysayers got tuned out immediately. They didn't even have a chance to put in their 2 negative cents. Good luck!
    Highest weight - 299.5, July 2011
    Official pre-surgery weight - 275, March 2012

Name
    Don
    Surgery date
    02/07/2012
    Surgeon
    DR Carlos Barba
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 139 Times
    Blog Entries

I was resolute that I and my Dr., wife and kids were the only ones other than 1 friend and his wife as they were integral in my journey. As far as my siblings and co-workers or anyone else for that matter who have found out since or are yet to know, if there with me that's great, if not to hell with'em. I NEED this to work as I want to live for me and MY family and any naysayers can hit the road. Had it with folks who tear a person down so they can feel good with a I told you so mentality. You know who supports you and probably have a good suspicion who won't. Negativity is just one more emotion you do not need with this routine. You will have enough on your plate without worrying about someones hurt feelings because you didn't tell them FIRST. If they care, that won't be an issue. It's all about you at this point baby and don't allow anyone to tell you different. Good Luck and Good Success!

BTW... Peoples ignorance about Obesity is stellar... Even I blamed myself for years of not just pushing away from the table earlier or eat a salad fathead or my favorite demeaning of myself, If I'd only hit the Gym. Ya' this goes deeper than that for many....

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member CajunFish's Avatar
    Name
    Philip
    Surgery date
    05/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Perez
    Last Activity
    01-11-2013 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I have not had surgery yet, but moving in that direction. The only people that were negative was a woman at work who is overweight and loves to give everyone else how to lose weight but can't seem to manage it herself. The other is my boss who has a doctorate degree in civil engineering and think he knows everything. He eats like a horse and barely weighs 180 pounds. Not a person who has ever had weight problems to begin with. I don't really care who knows or what they say because this, for once in my life, is about ME and ME alone. I have to be healthy to continue on enjoying things with my family. Last outing I had I was very uncomfortable and did not enjoy myself at all. If I continue down the path I'm on I will just be miserable and unhappy.

Gastric Sleeve Member louisianagirl55's Avatar
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    03/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dennis Eschete
    Last Activity
    02-03-2015 02:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,664 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm not gonna lie but I'm also not just going around announcing it either. My husband and I told my girls and we have shared it with like my sister and her kids cause well she my sister.... and would have been ticked had she not known. Maybe one friend or two... other than that I will tell as ppl ask. A lot of times ppl want to know your business just to know it or they want to share there experience Or oppinion. If they have actually battled weight and or had a procedure then heck yea I'd love to hear it. But if you have been slim all your life and have thin genes... well you just could not relate exactly. You know who will support you, you need honesty but not a bunch of negativity right now. So think through and share as you feel lead. Best wishes!!!!

sandy

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Landerholm
    Last Activity
    10-08-2012 09:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, I completely agree with you about people's ignorance about obesity. I too went through the "gym is the answer to all my problems." Surgery in two weeks.