01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    04-12-2014 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times

Default 6 Wks Post Op … Lost & Found: Arkansas Belle’s Sleeve Journey Continued!

LOST: The need to please absolutely everyone; a “just getting through the day” attitude; emotional numbness, size 20 and 18 jeans, 2X, 1X, and XL shirts, and 38 lbs.

FOUND: Independence, real emotion, determination, reality, size 16 jeans, size L shirts, my first goal -being under 200 lbs., energy to exercise

I can’t believe it's been 6 weeks since my surgery!

The time has flown by. It’s surreal thinking about where I was both physically and emotionally on the day I met my sleeve. The day we met, I remember being ready to get it over, knowing I was in good hands (thank you Dr. Alvarez and team), but wondering how I had gotten to the point of having weight loss surgery.

They gave me happy juice and I was out! Next thing I knew, my dad was in my face, and me being the well mannered southern belle that I am, burped as big as I could (not meaning to, of course) right in his face. Oops. That should have been a sign that life had definitely changed! LOL!

How did I get to 229 lbs? Fast food, eating out all of the time, eating while trying to do other things, mindless snacking, becoming a recluse, activities centered around food, pregnancy, excuses …sound familiar? I didn’t do myself any favors with those habits, and I sure didn’t help my kids.

I see numerous links from EndoBariatric regarding obesity, childhood obesity, etc. Every time I read something new, I see myself before the sleeve. It was a time where I dieted, failed, ate everything, and then started all over again. I was miserable, knowing that every time I screwed up on a diet, the cycle would repeat.

Some of my friends have fussed a little about my surgery, saying if everyone just followed what I am doing, anyone could lose weight. Yes, people can lose weight with a low carb, low fat diet, high protein … I did lots of times. But I was hungry, I was emotionally frustrated, I had no energy, and in the back of my closet, I still had all my “bigger” clothes. No more of that!

I am so happy with the outcome of my sleeve, the energy level that I have now, the freedom from depression and achiness, the need for medicine being gone, my hunger decreasing, and the physical and mental strength that comes from accomplishing something good for myself.

This month has been an eye opener, as far as emotional health. I have used antidepressants on and off since I was 20 years old. Now that I look back, I was usually on one when I was heavier, and after losing weight would be off of them again. I took my last dose before going to Mexico for my surgery and have not taken any since.

The other day, I actually laughed until I had tears. I can’t remember the last time I actually “felt” happy and had “real” laughter. Along with the joy comes real sorrow and frustration, too. But that is okay. February 2, 2006 was the last day I had with my mom before she was in an induced coma with ARDS. I think my medicines helped me cope at the time, but being off of them allowed me the opportunity to really grieve. I feel so much more alive now.

I know some who are offended by my choice of having wls, well…I was offended by the life I was living, which was almost non-existent. I hear horror stories from friends who have heard of other wls, well… they haven’t walked a mile in my shoes, they aren’t the one who chose obesity as the bigger risk over surgery. Obesity can cause death, people!

I know that there are complications that occur after surgery, and I'm not talking about the people who have experienced it. I'm talking about people who are closed minded. Most of us understand the risk and complications that are possible from any type of surgery. Obesity was a big enough battle in my life that I felt it was worth it. Thank God, I did.

Thank you all for your continuous support… I’m so lucky to have a sleeve family to share experiences with. Life is good,… I am out and about a lot now. I am taking a few piano students again, getting ready for a trip to Italy, playing softball with my daughter, and exercising with my son. I don’t have near as much time to be on the computer, but I still check in from time to time and keep tabs on posts. Thanks again, and love you all.

I pray that God continues to watch over our recoveries, our sleeve journeys, and our overall well-being. I am truly blessed!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Niak
    Last Activity
    04-16-2012 01:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

Default Re: 6 Wks Post Op … Lost & Found: Arkansas Belle’s Sleeve Journey Continued!

cant wait to get under 200. i weighed in at 206 this morning its getting close. My highest weight was 252 and that was 2 years ago.And i too have been on antidepressants for years and i havent been taking them since i got home except for 1 time and they told me to crush it and take it that way and it was the nastiest taste i ever had in my mouth so i stopped.but i dont really feel as if i need it and its a good feeling. ty i enjoyed reading ur story .take care

Gastric Sleeve Member Arkansas Belle's Avatar
    Name
    Tessa Brasher
    Surgery date
    01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times

Thumbs up Re: 6 Wks Post Op … Lost & Found: Arkansas Belle’s Sleeve Journey Continued!

Isn't it an awesome journey?! You will be under 200 before you know it! As far as antidepressants, it's a nice relief to be off of them, and one I had not expected...and you are soooo right, it is a good feeling. Thanks for reading my story. Keep in touch!

5. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    03-22-2024 09:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 6 Wks Post Op … Lost & Found: Arkansas Belle’s Sleeve Journey Continued!

Great post Tessa!! Congrats again on your success with the sleeve. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/14/2011
    Surgeon
    jorge levia
    Last Activity
    07-01-2011 03:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 256 Times
    Was Thanked 94 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

OMG Thank you is not enough. have you been in my head?

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tonya Elmore
    Surgery date
    01/29/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    06-27-2011 10:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Arkansas Bell,
    I can't possible tell you in the exact words just how much I related to every word you wrote in this post. I feeeeeel you from the begining to the end.
    I am so happy with your results and the new you - you are feeling.
    I was sleeved on Jan. 29th and am down 24lbs and I can't tell you the havoc I have endured with the decisions I have made with the wls.
    However....I am soooooo damn glad that I moved on.
    Keep in touch.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Niak
    Last Activity
    04-16-2012 01:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

the day i had surgery i was lying in bed at the hospital in pre-op and one of the nurses goes. why are u having this done ur not that fat? she goes ur not big.i couldnt believe she said that to me. I told her well evedently i am or i wouldnt be having this surgery now would I? I told my surgeon and he said well just take it as a complment.And i had friends say ur not that big why u doing this? i said i weigh well over 200lbs and thats too much and i'm tired of losing the same weight over and over again. My body hurt. my feet my kness are shot from artheritis I quit my job 2 years ago because i was in so much pain i couldnt take it anymore. But people just dont get it. I can relate to u so well take care ♥♥♥

Name
    Tessa Brasher
    Surgery date
    01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times

Mediahound, thank you for your compliment, congratulations, and encouragement. You make this a really good, safe, and joyful place to share experiences!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Tessa Brasher
    Surgery date
    01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times

gonnadoit - LOL!...I'm not in your head, but isn't it great to have others who understand where you are coming from and where you want to be?! Thanks for sharing with me!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Tessa Brasher
    Surgery date
    01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times

Tonya-Arkansas, It is sooo hard to toughen up and move on, but thank God we have endured and will continue! We have to be strong, have self confidence in our choices, and live our lives with peace that comes from success/experience on our journeys. Thanks for your encouragement...you are doing great too!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Tessa Brasher
    Surgery date
    01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times

Hi Sherry,
    You would think that a nurse who works in wls would know better. Like your surgeon said, she was probably trying to compliment you... many of my friends and family spoke similar words when they found out about my surgery. Now they see how much the extra weight challenged me in my everyday life, and MOST of them are happy and excited for me. Those that aren't, well,...it's hard to be around negativity. Thank goodness I'm growing a backbone!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Tracie
    Surgery date
    11/19/2010
    Last Activity
    07-15-2011 05:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 157 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Tessa, my Dear friend! I am so proud of you! Sorry, I haven't been around much lately. I have been so busy with just life in general. You keep up the good work and we will have to meet sometime and split a lunch or dinner. I date a guy from Jonesboro, not to far from you. Love ya girl!

Name
    Tessa Brasher
    Surgery date
    01/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times

Hey Tracie! Thank you and congrats on your success too...i cant wait to be 165! By the way, my husband works in Jonesboro and I go there at least 2 days per week. I would love to do lunch sometime....just let me know when and where. .

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    12/20/2010
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Lavin
    Last Activity
    05-18-2012 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 71 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Tessa, I think all of our experiences could be summed up in your post. My sister told me to skip the wls and just eat the liquids until I lost all of the weight! when she stopped going to weight watchers a few weeks later and gained 7# in a week I laughed and told her to have some chicken broth!! Mean, I know, but I too have suddenly grown a backbone when it comes to people's stupidity about wls!!

I finally joined the "no longer a 200# woman" club myself and boy does it feel great!!! My husband also is no longer 300#! WoW!! I never thought I would be able to say that!! I am so blessed!!!

We are so lucky to have each other to talk to, because we understand each other!! So, Thanks for all the great posts and to everyone who continually gives words of encouragement!

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member sandyfromoz's Avatar
    Name
    sandyfromoz
    Surgery date
    02/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Budak
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 08:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6,066 Times
    Was Thanked 663 Times in 363 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 468 Times

I am so jealous of you two living so close together.Enjoy your lunch and give each other a hug from me please.
    Tracie... was going to ask where you have been? good to see you, dating and all woohoo.
    Heather you and Hubby are going just awesomely, (is there a word? well there is now )
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

28. Said thanks: