Thread: 2 1/2 Years Out

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-01-2012 01:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Post 2 1/2 Years Out

Hi there, I'm new here and glad I found this forum. I had my gastric sleeve 2 1/2 years ago. During that time I lost 106 lbs (from 300 lbs down to 194). However, within the past year I managed to gain roughly 15 lbs that I'm working on getting off.

A few questions:
    -How has eating been for any of you who have been this far out? Has your appetite increased? I'll admit to have really fallen off the wagon the past year but spent the past several weeks correcting this. I'm also finding myself hungrier than I was when I was less than a year out, which I'm sure is to be expected. Though thankfully portions are still small (and a lot smaller than they used to be).
    -Any guidelines you still stick with? I need to get back on this because I find that it was the primary key to me losing weight in the first place. I also need to be reminded of a few of these.
    -Any suggestions in terms of eating/water intake, etc.? I finally decided to seriously scale back on my sugar intake, which was the most detrimental to me. I cut out sodas completely, save for going to restaurants. And I also watch my carb intake as well and working towards increasing my protein.

I'm just curious as to how any of you are doing who are about a year or more out. I'm working hard towards losing those 15 lbs I gained back as well as losing an additional 20 to reach my goal weight.

Thanks and great to "meet" you all!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-26-2014 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Default Re: 2 1/2 Years Out

Congratulations on your loss.. You have done a great job.. I think that the Carbs are a major issue... You are wise to cut back on those and the sweets for sure.. I am not sure how many times you are eating each day, but if you stick to 3 meals a day and maybe have 1 high protein/low carb snack you should be fine... You may want to include a protein drink for one of your meals... YOu are very wise to realize that even a small amout like 15 pounds can be dangerous and quickly turn in to a higher gain... Again... Congratulations on your wonderful success...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-01-2012 01:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks so much! Glad to know I'm doing the right thing to correct it. I also forgot to mention that I've cut back on my snacking (a big culprit) and definitely want to go back to one protein shake per day for a meal, which I had forgotten was a part of my regimen early on and truly helped.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

I am only a few weeks out. But it is encouraging to see that you have lost so much weight and kept most of it off. I am glad you are back on the wagon after 15 lbs gain.

My diet plan is low carb and low fat. Eat 3 meals (4oz or less each) and 2 snacks (1 to 2 oz). From what I have read, I don't think it changes much even after I get to goal. Maybe a little bit more calories and a little bit more carb.
    (Goal!!! Maintenance Lane!)

• Reduce calories intake for weightloss.
    • Exercise for heart health, mental health and weight maintenance.
    • Make realistic goals.
    • Never give up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. Switzer
    Last Activity
    06-24-2016 12:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Congratulations to all of you who are losing! I have one question for you long-timers.....do you have an appetite? I have not gotten a sleeve yet, but am in the process of getting everything together that I need to be approved. But I worry. I have a pretty good appetite, and the one thing I liked about the sleeve is the removal of that hormone that tells the brain the stomache in hungry. If the appetite comes back, I am wondering if I would be better off with a bypass. Just trying to figure things out, so anything you can tell me about your expirience would be very helpful! Thank you!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Minnie Mouse's Avatar
    Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-10-2012 05:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Was Thanked 206 Times in 125 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 225 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW!!! Beliza...You've done a great job keeping most of your weight off for 2 1/2 years! I have the same problems. I don't get hungry, but I crave carbs, but I keep a diary of what I eat, so I won't overdo it. So far after 11 months I have kept my weight off. Phew!!! I want to also get back to high protein and lower carbs. That's the real culpret!!!

Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Blog Entries

Halo...I have a lot more self control and mostly crave the carbs like bread and cereal bars. I also love cheetos which I never desired before my sleeve. I need to focus...focus...focus on low-fat, low carb proteins and veggies. Help me please!!! Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat and don't have an appetite. I just notice that I feel empty, so I eat. I just have to fight head hunger which is mostly cravings.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I really love sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free fudge pops for sweet cravings. The popsicles are also a good way to get in more liquid, since I struggle every day with getting enough fluid. Also, sugar-free pudding mixes great with protein powder. Tastes sweet, and helps to get in protein.

Also Boca and Morningstar Farms offer great burger/chicken patty alternatives that still taste good. They have other products too, like sausage patties and chicken nuggets. It is all meatless, and much lower in fat and calories than the regular stuff. I like the Boca flame grilled 'burger' with a 1/2 slice of reduced-fat cheese and little ketchup and mustard. So delish!

Also love plain baked chicken breast with low-cal ranch, or bbq sauce.

I am a fan of swapping out favorites for healthier versions so I don't feel deprived. Luckily I like healthier foods anyway, and fried stuff makes me nauseus after the surgery. Hallelujah!

Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    04/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-14-2017 01:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 216 Times
    Was Thanked 374 Times in 244 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 291 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse View Post
    Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat and don't have an appetite. I just notice that I feel empty, so I eat. I just have to fight head hunger which is mostly cravings.
    You and I are sleeve sisters for April 2011 I would completely agree with what you've said too. I don't have any hunger (other than head hunger) at all and most days need to remind myself to eat. It's more a weird empty feeling than hunger! I hope this stays that way

To the OP, congratulations for 2.5 yrs post-op! I can't wait to be firmly in that range out from my surgery!! I think from what I've read that its common to regain if you graze and get off track with your nutrition. White carbs are bad for you no matter how much stomach you have in use! Focus on that protein and your water and it will come back off... re-learn how to work that sleeve!
    Straight forward. Straight facts. Whether you like the truth or not... I'm not made of sugar coating

Check out my blog at Chronicles of a Lifetime Dieter

GOAL REACHED!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW!!! Cheryl, you've done fantastic!!! My Husband keeps bringing bags of Cheetos (he says it's for the kids), but I think he believes I've lost enough weight. I know I want to lose 20 lbs. more!!! Low fat proteins and water needs to be my focus, so I can be as successful as you!!! Great to meet you sleeve sister!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    04/27/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-14-2017 01:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 216 Times
    Was Thanked 374 Times in 244 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 291 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie Mouse View Post
    WOW!!! Cheryl, you've done fantastic!!! My Husband keeps bringing bags of Cheetos (he says it's for the kids), but I think he believes I've lost enough weight. I know I want to lose 20 lbs. more!!! Low fat proteins and water needs to be my focus, so I can be as successful as you!!! Great to meet you sleeve sister!
    Thanks Bonnie! Cheetos are hard for me to say no to as well but thankfully we never have them in the house! I try and keep the junk food out because hubby just quit smoking and has put on the weight from snacking at night... so no bad food allowed in our house or he snacks all night and then complains he's gotten fat! At 6'3" large framed, there's nothing fat about 250 lbs in my mind but he has his own opinions so if we keep fruit in the house then we both stay on track!

I really feel I've lost enough as well. I'm hoping I don't lose any more! You can do those last 20 lbs!! I know you can!

Name
    Bonnie
    Surgery date
    04/11/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 648 Times
    Blog Entries

Cheryl...Thanks for the encouragement. He's getting better. Now he's bringing home the hot Cheetos, and I don't really care for them. I ate my last ones two days ago. Phew!!!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    08/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-28-2015 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Halo65 View Post
    Congratulations to all of you who are losing! I have one question for you long-timers.....do you have an appetite? I have not gotten a sleeve yet, but am in the process of getting everything together that I need to be approved. But I worry. I have a pretty good appetite, and the one thing I liked about the sleeve is the removal of that hormone that tells the brain the stomache in hungry. If the appetite comes back, I am wondering if I would be better off with a bypass. Just trying to figure things out, so anything you can tell me about your expirience would be very helpful! Thank you!
    I am seven months out and still don't get hungry. My hubby calls me from work to remind me to eat. I just get busy and forget to eat because my tummy never says "Feed me".

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/21/2010
    Surgeon
    Mr Amorri Manchester u.k.
    Last Activity
    03-08-2012 07:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Hi, i to am 14mths in, and i to am struggling i have put o 10lbs. im at my wits end.Dont know if i should go on to a bypass. im sorry your struggling.

Gastric Sleeve Member NaughtyAngel's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/20/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Drake Bellanger
    Last Activity
    07-31-2012 10:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

First time posting and not quite 3 weeks out from surgery, but my Dr. and my nutritionist both said that in the long term, it's grazing and snacking that tends to cause most folks to get off track and start gaining again...... that and lack of exercise. Once a person reaches their goal, they tend to no longer focus as intensely on what they are eating or on getting in their exercise. It doesn't take long for old habits to creep back into our lives. This happened to me years ago when I did Atkins. Lost 45 lbs and was working out with a trainer, doing cardio..... all of the right stuff. But I went back to work after 6 months with no job and slowly but surely, old habits started creeping back into my life and before I knew it, I had gained it all back, and then some.

Look back at what was working for you before the weight gain and work to get yourself back on that positive path to a healthy weight! You can do it! =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast