Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-10-2014 05:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

Default Detox and Cleanse

I was tried of my week long stall so I tried a cleanse I boght from Wal-Mart called Internal Flush. I took 3 pills nightly and on the second day I weighed myself and I had lost two pounds. That was almost a week ago and when I weighed myself again today I was down another 2 pounds. I ordered Lipozene pills yesterday they are supose to be great for weight loss, i'll let you know!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member gemini_1984's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacey
    Surgery date
    05/02/2012
    Surgeon
    Teresa LaMasters
    Last Activity
    08-01-2013 10:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

Default Re: Detox and Cleanse

I really am not trying to be mean, but there's no other way to say this...are you SERIOUS?????

So if you really believe these cleanses and over the counter diet pills really work...why did you have the surgery? Aren't you kinda doing things a little backwards? Besides the pills...what else are you doing for the detox? I can just about guarantee you it's NOT the pills that are doing it. If it were we'd all be taking those pills not getting the surgery. Plus anything you can buy off the counter for $19.99 should be the first clue that it's a hoax...hello!!!! this surgery in the U.S. costs like $40,000...I don't know about you but $40,000 is going to get me believing before some $19.99 joke in a box.

Another reason this surgery is better done in the U.S. - at least here you have to under go a psych evaluation to get approved.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Well you are intitled to your opinion of course and I respect that but let me explain. When I decided to have this surgery I made a serious decsion (not to mention committment) to losing weight. I tried these pills and countless others before and saw no result that's because of my poor eating habits and high calorie intake(obviously that's why all of us are fat). And if it were that easy to lose weight any other way we wouldn't have surgery would we? Doing detox's and cleanses are recommended for erveryone because of the health benifts so I don't see why I shouldn't do it even with having had the surgery. FYI I had surgery in Mexico for $4500 USD. These pills work better now because of the smaller amounts of food I eat. The choice i've made is mine to make but if you ever decide to get the surgery you'll know what it's like to stall and that's why I made the decsion to do what i'm doing. This site is for us to share and learn from each other, you take what you want from this site and leave the rest, the choice is yours. I must say if you are impling that i'm crazy for taking pills couldn't the same be said about all of us who have decided to have surgery? I mean we are willingly going under the knife to have 80% of our stomaches removed!! It doesn't get more "out there" then that!! And the reason you need a psych evaluation is to make sure you a mentally prepared/committed to what it takes to lose and maintain the weight loss. There is no miricle cure for obesity, you have to work on it everyday. Even with this type of surgery you still have to make the right choices about what you eat and how much. Seeing how you don't seem to understand this, this surgery may not be for you. And besides, I don't think people in glass houses should throw stones!

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/26/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-04-2015 07:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,082 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry but i have to agree with gemini_1984. A one week stall is EXPECTED. Your body is adjusting to your new food intake. Diet pills, while in your opinion work given the right circumstances do have side effects. You got the surgery to live a better/healthier life. Diet pills are not the way to get there. Condition your mind to understand how your new sleeve works with regard to weight loss. Continue eating according to what your sleeve can handle and you will continue to lose weight. Just let your body adjust to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Cleanse pills aren't the same as diet pills. They don't promise any particular amount of weight loss in a specific time frame and they don't promise to curb your appetite. We as human beings accumulate a ton of crap in our intestines over our life time, these pills are all natural with a probiotic. If you've ever aten Activia yogurt, it's pretty much the same thing(activia is recommended daily to keep you regular). I don't know about you guys but, in amungst the info I got prior to my surgery it explained that i'd need to take Benifber daily to help keep things moving (which i've done). I have found that I still wasn't "going" twice a day as recommended, so this is what lead me to these pills (plus the stall, FYI this wasn't my first stall or my longest). I do eat what i'm suppose to and I exercise everyday. This is just something i'm doing for me and I put it up here for anybdy who might be interested, if you're not that's cool but I don't really need the negative feed back, i'm going to do what I want to do! Just like the na-sayers who went on about my choice to have surgery...whatever!!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Theresa
    Surgery date
    02/08/2012
    Surgeon
    Tri State
    Last Activity
    12-13-2021 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 352 Times

of course you lost 2 pounds... you cleared all the shit out of your innards. That's not losing weight. That's just cleaning the pipes.

and you said something about keeping regular and going twice a day?

we aren't supposed to go twice a day. as little as we eat many of us only go twice a week. Some of us yes once a day.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Just because some of us only go twice a week doesn't mean that's healthy. If you watch as meany health show's as I do (Dr. Oz, Eat yourself sexy etc) you'd know that we as humans are supose to go twice a day. And yes, I meant to clean the pipes that was my main reason for doing it, the weight loss was just a bonus but my weight did go down so... weight loss is weight loss, i'll take it

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-25-2013 08:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

Nothing wrong with taking something o get th pipes moving! Cleanse is very different from diet pills. Trust me... It's no fun to have to go to the doctor and explain you can't poop! And what did my doctor recommend? Miralax. And when that didn't work some gross syrup stuff. And then she recommended a cleanse drink. Houston.... We had take off then and every now and then I need what is a "cleanse" drink to move my bowels.

However... To each their own and this is definitely not a site to bash people. When you disagree with a person's opinion at least be civil. We're here to support one another and not throw stones.

Makes me sad to see this type of attack on another member.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    angela zinck
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks Nickicole, i'm glad to see someone gets it!!

Name
    Don
    Surgery date
    02/07/2012
    Surgeon
    DR Carlos Barba
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 139 Times
    Blog Entries

Me thinks one a tad to eager! Since you don't wish negative feedback, I'll leave you with this thought. There is one born every minute!

Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lomenzo
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

I personally am not interested in cleansing pills or a detox routine that I would need to take herbal supplements for or anything like that. However, that being said, the 5 day pouch test, even though it uses things most sleeve patients should be/are already eating, is SORT OF like a cleansing ritual for our sleeves. If you don't know what it is, just Google "5 day pouch test". I'm too lazy to post a link.

Anyway, it's true that a lot of people generally will have a bowel movement once or even twice a day regularly. But let me ask you -- was Dr. Oz referring to people who are "normal", aka haven't had bariatric surgery? Honestly, if all you had was 1 cup of Greek yogurt in an entire day for food, I certainly would NOT expect you to need to have a solid bowel movement twice in that day. There just wouldn't be enough waste produced. One small movement, sure. Makes sense to me. But 2 off of 1 cup of yogurt? I'd be surprised. Also, more importantly, just wondering what your surgeon said when you asked them if he/she felt you needed to go twice a day as you saw Dr. Oz recommend?

If you were eating 3 square normal portions for a total of 1800 - 2000 calories in a day like most of us could before surgery (and then some!), then heck yeah, DEFINITELY 1 and OFTEN 2 bowel movements were totally the norm for my body lol pre-surgery lol.

To each their own, and if this is what you believe works best for you, then do what you gotta do is my motto. My only word of caution is that if you start experiencing pain every time you go, or lots of diarrhea, to talk to your doctor about it before it potentially becomes something worse.
    Free Weight Loss Tickers at Weight Loss Center

Pre-Op Diet: Didn't lose any weight!
    Morning of surgery: 2 2 0

Name
    Peggy
    Surgery date
    07/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lalor
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 197 Times
    Was Thanked 346 Times in 318 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 107 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm going to say, do what you need to do. Everyone's bowels are different. My hubby can go 3-4 times a day, and I'm lucky if I go 3 times a week. My only caution would be, like with laxatives, be careful. Your body can become dependent on them to the point that you can only "go" with them. Everything in moderation. Isn't that the new way of thinking we have to learn with the sleeve?

I've read on here about people in stalls and others recommending fiber or the such due to being "backed up" with our high protein diets. To me, the cleanse isn't much different. I would just check with your Dr to make sure there are no adverse affects.
    ~~Peggy~~
    Highest weight: 249
    Weight at pre-op: 224
    Weight at surgery: 216

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/25/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-25-2013 08:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 102 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

Dr. Supervised is recommended. However when I had an issue the end result was the same.

Surgery date
    03/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Costil
    Last Activity
    03-05-2022 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Quote Originally Posted by angela zinck View Post
    Just because some of us only go twice a week doesn't mean that's healthy. If you watch as meany health show's as I do (Dr. Oz, Eat yourself sexy etc) you'd know that we as humans are supose to go twice a day. And yes, I meant to clean the pipes that was my main reason for doing it, the weight loss was just a bonus but my weight did go down so... weight loss is weight loss, i'll take it
    For the record, twice a day is for someone with a normal stomach ingesting the right amount of fiber, protein, carbs and vegetables. We have 1/4th of a stomach and we ingest less food, so it makes sense that we would go fewer times than twice a day. It doesn't mean that anything's wrong. That norm doesn't apply to sleevers.

I go about once every two days eating normal foods but at the earlier stages it was every three/four days. And I know that there are some sleeved before me who still don't go once every two days! Bottom line: the way you feel is what you should use to decide if you're regular or not, not some random guideline that doesn't apply to sleevers. In any case, you broke your stall, congratulations lol!