Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 08:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 84 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Low BMI weight loss results after sleeve

Anyone that has had the sleeve beginnning with a BMI of 35 , what kind of loss results can I expect per month, I'm having my surgery with Drs. Lopez/Osuna in Mexico on 9/26/12. I know were all different, but I dont expect the weightloss to be as fast as others that have had more to lose/ or higher BMIs.
    Surgery day weight 9/26/12 187lbs, 10/26 167lbs 18" lost, 11/26 160 lbs 24" lost, 12/26 151 35" gone, 1/26/13 145.6lbs 41.5" lost, 2/26 140 lbs. 6.5" lost, reached goal weight 10 months out , 66 lbs and 62 total inches gone!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Low BMI weight loss results after sleeve

I have been on YouTube watching videos and I stumbled upon this woman's video. I hope that watching her video will inspire you and that if you have the sleeve you will have the same results that she had.

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much mirnsy!! That is sooo much like my own story!! I too have worked out and dieted for years, always eating much healthier than all my family members, running 5ks, lifting weights, on & on. Hiding behind my kids in family photos, never wearing swim suits in public, or sleevless shirts in summer, even when I was sweating to death! I really do have a wonderful life , other than this weight that is holding me back from truly living and enjoying the life my husband and I have made for ourselves. This video did inspire me and I too hope I can have similar results!!
    Surgery day weight 9/26/12 187lbs, 10/26 167lbs 18" lost, 11/26 160 lbs 24" lost, 12/26 151 35" gone, 1/26/13 145.6lbs 41.5" lost, 2/26 140 lbs. 6.5" lost, reached goal weight 10 months out , 66 lbs and 62 total inches gone!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

You are welcome!!

Gastric Sleeve Member blessedahf's Avatar
    Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    05-18-2016 12:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=mirnsy;187286]I have been on YouTube watching videos and I stumbled upon this woman's video. I hope that watching her video will inspire you and that if you have the sleeve you will have the same results that she had.

[/QUOTE

I freaking love this!!!!!!!! I know we could all make our own video. This is so true for everyone! Okay...maybe not the bikini haha

Oh and I was similar to this story. I was right at 200 at start of my sleeve and it took me 6 months to get to 140. I been working on the remaining 20 since. I'm at 131. It comes off rather easy the first 6 months so be as good as u can with your diet so u can lose as much as possible. They say u lose up to the first year. I really think my body is good at this weight but it's a mind thing. I want to weigh 120 but I'm starting to think I'd be too small at that point for my shape.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    07/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ajay Goyal
    Last Activity
    09-08-2017 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I had a BMI of 35 and If you work out 1-2hrs a day for 5+ days per week and put in an effort to eat clean you can see 20-30+ pounds a month. At last check I was around .73 pounds per day on average. I am also a little more motivated than some. Hope that helps.

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I certainly dont mind the exercise, I run and lift weights, but I'm starting out alot smaller at 187, I dont think I'll be able to lose that much per month. I was hoping for at least 15, that would be fantastic!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Brad
    Surgery date
    07/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ajay Goyal
    Last Activity
    09-08-2017 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

If you eat clean(low carb,low cal,high protein) and keep your heart rate zones high it can be done. I would assume at 187 you would need to eat around 800 cals daily? It's all math till you hit 10% body fat imho. Runners can do anything..

Surgery date
    08/14/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Woodman
    Last Activity
    02-18-2015 11:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I'm almost at week 4, so I will be moving on to more solid foods, but take all I got to get about 400 cals a day. I am running, but not what I would call a runner YET!! I was able to run a mile, that was HUGE for me! My goal is to do a 5K by Nov. Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! It means a lot!!! Keep the advice coming, I need all I can get from someone who has been there and done it!!! Thanks again! :0)

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

shelbyz, thats fantastic that you made it a mile! When I first starting running (or slow jogging) with my husband ( who is a long distance runner) he said to start out slow and easy, I started with one lap around the track and built up to 2, 3 then 4 which is a mile. Then I set a goal to run my frst 5 k without stopping, which I did, not very good time, but my husband was so proud of me, he even had a plaque made up for me at the finish line! Once I have the surgery and start getting the weight off I'm going to set some more goals, who knows, maybe before I'm 50 I'll run a marathon with my husband!! So keep setting small attainable goals for yourself and as you reach those make some more, I wish you much success11

Surgery date
    09/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Adam Smith
    Last Activity
    05-14-2013 03:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for posting that video... I would almost swear that was me up there... aerobically fit but FAT... I was never over even 9 months pregnant.. I only gained 26 lbs and each of my babies were 7+ lbs. When I turned 40, it was like my metabolism just shut off.. everything in my body was running normally but it didn't matter what I did, I COULD NOT lose weight. So I am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday and I am excited!
    Life is too short to be unhappy... (my daddy on his deathbed, Dec. 2000)

Live like you were dying... Tim McGraw

Gastric Sleeve Member itsmytime's Avatar
    Name
    Misty
    Surgery date
    02/03/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-23-2016 11:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 236 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 154 Times
    Blog Entries

My BMI was 37 -38 and I've lost almost all the way down to goal at 7 months out. I just got below 140 (bouncing between 138-139) and I was about 218 on surgery day. I have been exercising 4-5 days a week most of the time for about 1 hour. I lost a bunch the first five months and the last two months I've still lost around 6-7 lbs a month. I am still losing and hope to get down to 125-129 sometime in the next several months. I am 5'4" but small built. My boobs have fared pretty well throughout all of this and I'm so glad. Now my tummy will need some work done--but I have had two kids and one of them was HUGE.

Starting BMI 2/3/2012 - 38
    Goal BMI-24! REACHED and BELOW!! 10/2012 Current BMI 21.0!
    The best goals reached are the ones hardest earned.

Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L.Gould View Post
    I certainly dont mind the exercise, I run and lift weights, but I'm starting out alot smaller at 187, I dont think I'll be able to lose that much per month. I was hoping for at least 15, that would be fantastic!!
    From surgery, I was 189, so your like me. I lost the majority of my weight in the first 4 months. The heavier you are the more you lose in a short amount of time. So no, your not going to lose 20-30 in a month lol, but after 4 months I was down to 149 and that was with light exercise. Then I've lost 20 lbs since then. I got a little liberal with the food I was eating, or I may be at goal already. I have 12 lbs. to go. My BMI is 22.5 which is smack dab in the middle of normal weight, and I look fine but I'm also a numbers person. I want to be 120 lbs :P

Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/26/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lopez/Osuna Mexico
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blessedahf View Post
    From surgery, I was 189, so your like me. I lost the majority of my weight in the first 4 months. The heavier you are the more you lose in a short amount of time. So no, your not going to lose 20-30 in a month lol, but after 4 months I was down to 149 and that was with light exercise. Then I've lost 20 lbs since then. I got a little liberal with the food I was eating, or I may be at goal already. I have 12 lbs. to go. My BMI is 22.5 which is smack dab in the middle of normal weight, and I look fine but I'm also a numbers person. I want to be 120 lbs :P
    Your numbers are very similar to mine, I will be elated with 10 pounds a month! So will my husband, if I could have done that with normal dieting& exercise I would have, but been there tried that for years,So if I my ask, since you didn't have a huge amount of weight to lose, how did your skin hold up, you look pretty young and taller than me, I'm 48 & 5'2" so not so young. Just a little worried how my tum and other parts will look!
    You look awesome by the way, great job!!!

Name
    Lauren
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L.Gould View Post
    Your numbers are very similar to mine, I will be elated with 10 pounds a month! So will my husband, if I could have done that with normal dieting& exercise I would have, but been there tried that for years,So if I my ask, since you didn't have a huge amount of weight to lose, how did your skin hold up, you look pretty young and taller than me, I'm 48 & 5'2" so not so young. Just a little worried how my tum and other parts will look!
    You look awesome by the way, great job!!!
    lol if any of us could've done the loss without the surgery we would've. But that's why we have the surgery, because I personally believe its impossible. The sleeve is the tool we need to make us lose the weight. You'll notice, we may be able to do it without the sleeve but a year later we gain it all back, and more :P Just a viscous cycle. Yes, I'm 5'4'' and 28 yrs old and my skin did just fine. I'm a little flabby on my thighs, but other than that and my bottom roll on my tummy from my c-section in 2007, I'm good to go. If you're worried about excess skin, water helps with skin elasticity. Drink tons of water as you're losing, even if you have to flavor it. And as much cardio exercise as you can do. But my mom is 54 and she had the sleeve 2 years ago. She was extremely worried about skin because she's been large her whole life. And she looks fine now. She has some excess skin on her thighs around her knees and her tummy but in clothing she looks completely fine. Just depends on whether you are just wanting to be thin and healthy, or whether you plan to sport a bikini next summer lol But being as small as you are in starting with your sleeve, I highly doubt your going to have any issues with skin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast