Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    05-26-2015 12:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default BMI 31 - considering gastric sleeve

Hi all:

I am new to the site and excited to be here. I am considering gastric sleeve and have many questions. I am a 45 year old female married with two young daughters. I adore my family and want to be healthy for them. I've been struggling with my weight since I was in my late 20s and once I had my girls about 10 years ago, I have not been able to lose the weight I gained during pregnancy. I currently weight 181 and would like to drop 50 lbs. I've tried everything diet imaginable for the last 20 years and on HCG right now ( 7th stint in 1.5 years - no weight loss). I also had liposuction in 2002 and tummy tuck in 2009. I am a yo yo dieter and have been stuck at the same weight give or take 15 pounds. I always return to my set weight that I was able to get to 4 years ago. The highest I've weighed not being pregnant is 205 about 16 years ago.

The last 3 years I've had a severe cause of plantar fascitiis and have had two foot procedures in the last two years. I've been completely restricted from doing any physical activity which doesn't help my failed attempts at losing weight.

I know that weight loss equals improved health in most cases. However, as I'm reading through blogs and continue to do research, I'm wondering if it's worth doing the gastric sleeve for 50 lb weight loss. I've tried to lose 20 to 25 lbs unsuccessfully and don't know how I'm going to reach double that.

Any help/advice/recommendations you have are greatly appreciated. Here are some concerns/questions:
    1. I only want to lose 50 lbs, will I be able to stop there?

2. My goal is not to only lose weight but also weight train 3x a week and do pilates 3x a week because I want to be toned and have some muscle definition. Is this achievable post gastric sleeve drastic weight loss? I know that the elasticity of the skin is different at 45 than 35.

3. Is hair loss permanent?

4. Bowel movements. I've been reading about lose bowel movements and constipation. Does everyone encounter these issues?

5. Are the cravings and hunger really reduced? Reason I ask is because I've been on diet pills since I was 16-yrs-old and this is the only way I've been able to control my hunger. I hate taking them because of the anxiety I feel when I'm on them so stopped taking diet pills on Saturday.

6. Is the post surgery recuperation period hard on the family? I have to young daughters to care for.

7. Does one's face age drastically due to extreme weight loss in short amount of time?

I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly. This is a HUGE decision and since I'm paying out of pocket, also putting a dent in our bank account. I'm just sooo tired of being tired all the time!

Thank you in advance for your time.

BMI 31

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BMI 31 - considering gastric sleeve

The sleeve is pretty drastic for the amount that you want to lose. You would need to be self pay, because I can't see your insurance covering it. Typically you need a BMI of 35 or higher.

I too have had lots of issues with my feet, so I feel your pain.

1. I only want to lose 50 lbs, will I be able to stop there? Your body should normalize, you just might have to eat more often to get in enough calories.

2. My goal is not to only lose weight but also weight train 3x a week and do pilates 3x a week because I want to be toned and have some muscle definition. Is this achievable post gastric sleeve drastic weight loss? I know that the elasticity of the skin is different at 45 than 35. You shouldn't need major surgery losing 50 pounds. Are you doing those workouts now? I would start with training six days a week before putting my body through surgery.

3. Is hair loss permanent? No

4. Bowel movements. I've been reading about lose bowel movements and constipation. Does everyone encounter these issues? Most people do

5. Are the cravings and hunger really reduced? My body still tells me it's hungry and I still want sugar, that has not changed at all.

6. Is the post surgery recuperation period hard on the family? If they are supportive it's not a big deal. You will be out of it for a few days and then just moving slowly for a few weeks.

7. Does one's face age drastically due to extreme weight loss in short amount of time? That depends on the person and the amount you lose. You shouldn't look much older with 50 pounds gone.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Missy1973's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo Ramos
    Last Activity
    11-09-2015 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

I am three weeks post op and was a BMI of 30. I weighed 180.5 at the hospital the day of my surgery. I weigh 169.5 now. My weight before I started my three day pre-op diet was 190. I am really glad I got the sleeve. I didn't tell many people because they would have an opinion that I wasn't big enough. Well, I guess you are as big as you feel. For over two years I got up at 4:30 in the morning a few times a week to do a 5:00 am bootcamp class, I watched what I ate, I logged my food, and planned my meals but then I would binge eat and overeat. I feel more in control now. Some of your questions are best answered from people who have been sleeved longer but I did want to chime in as someone who also has a low BMI with only about 40-50 pounds to lose. I knew that if I didn't go ahead and get the sleeve that my weight would creep up and up over the years and I wanted to have it done while I was relatively young (41) instead of waiting, plus I wanted to live the rest of life free from being afraid of food. I love to cook and bake but in the past I have baked cup cakes with my son and I would eat 6 of them, once I ate nine over the course of a few hours. That's horrible. Maybe next time when I bake cup cakes with him I will only eat a half instead of six or nine. I am definately satisfied with the small amount of food I get. I do get hungry still but I don't freak out about that. Some people don't get hungry but I do then I eat a few ounces of healthy food and I'm good to go. Good luck to you!

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Natex14 - thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. What is your biggest win post sleeve (besides weight loss) and what is the most challenging?

Thank you.

BMI 31

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Missy1973: thank you so much for your reply! My story is very similar to yours. 3 years ago I signed up for a 1/2 marathon hit the pavement from 5am to 6am 6 days a week. I had never run a mile in life...I am not a runner. I gradually worked may way up to running 5 miles a day...didn't lose 1 lb! I was eating very healthy but big portions because I was exerting a lot of energy during my morning workouts. In the process I damaged my feet - got plantar fascitiis - and podiatrist recommended I pull out of 1/2 marathon 2 weeks before the big day. The cortisone shots weren't working anymore. I was devastated. Since then I've had two foot procedures and have been restricted from any type of physical activity, except swimming until my feet get better. I should be ready to start some type of cardio by December. Your words are inspiring. I've been trying to get to my 160s for a few years now - no luck! I'm so happy for you! Please keep me posted. I am new at all of this. Is there a way for me to follow your posts?

With gratitude - BMI 31

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Question: has anybody with weight loss of 50 lbs or less been able to turn saggy skin into toned skin after VSG by weight training?

Gastric Sleeve Member 31startingBMI's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm a 31 BMI also and you really need to evaluate this surgery for your specific case. The reason why I am getting the sleeve.
    I eat too much at one sitting
    I have changed my diet but still cant lose more than 10 lbs without a lot of exercise
    I binge eat and erase the days where I ate perfect.
    My body is getting older and I cant exercise enough to keep up with my food intake.
    I have health issue now that is caused by eating too much food and the wrong food.
    Calorie restriction is known to lengthen ones life.
    I believe too much food will age me in the long run more than weight loss will so I don't worry about the effects of rapid weight loss.

I don't want anyone to know because of the judgment factor but I feel for me it will help knock the portions down to a better size.
    I told my mom and my best friend and they totally understand because they see how much I eat and they know that portion control is my problem more than the foods I eat.

Honestly I should weigh much more than I do, I am lucky that I'm not heavier. Saying that I do have the health problems of someone heavier so I really did not escape all the negative affects of over eating.

I want to save money on food. This seems ridiculous but I'm on an a protein and vegetable diet and I spend a lot on meat, fish, chicken because I eat so much.

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Hi 31startingBMI:

I also eat too much in one sitting. I've started an exercise regime and eating plan similar to what I would have to do post sleeve. I just started yesterday and hoping that I can do this my own...seriously though I've been trying for years!!!!!

I'm not too worried about the aging piece anymore, I need to be healthier for myself and my family. I totally get what you're saying about not sharing with friends and weighing more than you should. I'm in the same place!

I was totally into having weight loss surgery when I was considering the lap band last month. But after I met with a surgeon in Orange County he told me that I was a good candidate for the sleeve. He shared that the sleeve will provide better results. Based on my history he thinks I would be successful with the sleeve. Selecting lap band vs other surgical weight loss procedures provided me with the option/security, etc. of knowing that it was reversible. However, the sleeve isn't reversible so I need to be ready to accept whatever comes post sleeve. I've been doing a lot of research and grateful for all the feedback and shared experiences.

Good luck - wishing you nothing but the best and will be following your success!

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Your BMI is probably to low for insurance to cover you, so you're likely looking at self-pay. That said, 50 pounds is a chunk to take off and maintain for a lifetime.

1. Will you be able to stop at 50 pounds?
    For me, maintenance has been more challenging than losing. Losing you only have to hit a calorie deficit. Maintaining, you have to find that sweet spot between too much and too little which is more work IMHO. I watch my intake MORE now than I did when I was losing to ensure I stay where I want to be. It's work. Also, I spent 10 days with a GI virus and dropped like 7 pounds in a week. I'm a little concerned that down the line, I'll be one of those old ladies who can't keep weight on.

2. My goal is not to only lose weight but also weight train 3x a week and do pilates 3x a week because I want to be toned and have some muscle definition. Is this achievable post gastric sleeve drastic weight loss? I know that the elasticity of the skin is different at 45 than 35.
    I exercise 5 x per week, 60 min of cardio + toning.

I did not lose hair. For those who do, it grows back. The best thing you can do to prevent hair loss and other complications is stay compliant with your protein, water and supplements.

4. Bowel movements. I've been reading about lose bowel movements and constipation. Does everyone encounter these issues?
    I started on a multi-strain probiotic post op and I have no more issues with either. For the first 6 months, too much fat or sugar would cause me to "dump", but not so much anymore.

5. Are the cravings and hunger really reduced? Reason I ask is because I've been on diet pills since I was 16-yrs-old and this is the only way I've been able to control my hunger. I hate taking them because of the anxiety I feel when I'm on them so stopped taking diet pills on Saturday.
    Hunger returned for me after about 6 months, but its not like it was. The obsession with food is not there. Part of that may be because I do not subscribe to the "diet" philosophy of "good" food vs "bad" food. The sleeve has restricted me from over eating so whatever I choose, I make it count. I eat what I like, protein first, in small quantities. I know whatever it is I think I want will still be there later. Sometimes I still want it later and work it into my day, sometimes not.

6. Is the post surgery recuperation period hard on the family? I have to young daughters to care for.
    I was hospitalized 1 night, never took narcotics and went back to work the next week. I moved slow for the first 2 weeks, but felt "normal" after about a month. "Strong" after 3 months which is when I started a real exercise program.

7. Does one's face age drastically due to extreme weight loss in short amount of time?
    Some days, I think it does, others, not so much. Seems like the circles under my eyes are more pronounced now with less padding.

Do understand that you're signing up for a lifetime of after care if you choose to let them cut out most of your stomach. Supplementing vitamins and protein are forever and your relationship with food will be forever changed. No drinking while eating is a rule I don't break. Over eating is excruciatingly painful and there is a learning curve to figure out what that means for you as you learn your limits. Would I do it again? IN A HEARTBEAT! To be healthy and free from food obsession has been totally worth the prices I had to pay.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

14. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmi31 View Post
    Hi all:

I am new to the site and excited to be here. I am considering gastric sleeve and have many questions. I am a 45 year old female married with two young daughters. I adore my family and want to be healthy for them. I've been struggling with my weight since I was in my late 20s and once I had my girls about 10 years ago, I have not been able to lose the weight I gained during pregnancy. I currently weight 181 and would like to drop 50 lbs. I've tried everything diet imaginable for the last 20 years and on HCG right now ( 7th stint in 1.5 years - no weight loss). I also had liposuction in 2002 and tummy tuck in 2009. I am a yo yo dieter and have been stuck at the same weight give or take 15 pounds. I always return to my set weight that I was able to get to 4 years ago. The highest I've weighed not being pregnant is 205 about 16 years ago.

The last 3 years I've had a severe cause of plantar fascitiis and have had two foot procedures in the last two years. I've been completely restricted from doing any physical activity which doesn't help my failed attempts at losing weight.

I know that weight loss equals improved health in most cases. However, as I'm reading through blogs and continue to do research, I'm wondering if it's worth doing the gastric sleeve for 50 lb weight loss. I've tried to lose 20 to 25 lbs unsuccessfully and don't know how I'm going to reach double that.

Any help/advice/recommendations you have are greatly appreciated. Here are some concerns/questions:
    1. I only want to lose 50 lbs, will I be able to stop there?

I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly. This is a HUGE decision and since I'm paying out of pocket, also putting a dent in our bank account. I'm just sooo tired of being tired all the time!

Thank you in advance for your time.

BMI 31
    Thanks for asking your questions, this forum is very helpful to people considering WLS, many people on this forum will give your their perspectives on them, and here are my 2 cents worth:

1. You are fortunate that 50 lbs, especially after children is the amount of weight that you are concerned with losing. I lost and gained my original 50-70 lbs for years, it wasn't until after having my son in 2010 that I hit my highest weight, and weight loss became impossible it seemed. I am sure many people will tell you that 50 lbs isn't enough for you to consider major surgery, but I believe that that decision is best made by you. 50 lbs was the most of my problems with weight until I woke up one day, and it became more. Had I known that surgery was an option I would have had surgery long before I got up to 235 lbs. You also need to consider your height in these factors, 180 lbs on a person that is 5'9, it VERY different than a person that is 5'1.

It is very possible to only lose 50 lbs, but for that you are going to want to consider a few things, I received a larger bougie size to reduce the possibility that the sleeve would worsen my already sever acid reflux. Bougie sizes only vary by a few millimeters, especially if your surgeon does a suture over the staple line, but having a slightly larger sleeve, if you decide to do the surgery, might be a good option for you as well, so ask your surgeon about it.

Excess weight isn't good for any of us, just keep in mind that surgery carries risks as well, even though mine personally was one of the easiest I have ever had, I still carefully weighed in the risks vs. benefits.

2. It is also possible to weight train after surgery for toning, and it is highly suggest for most people. I did interval strength training after my surgery, and saw a great deal of improvement to my body's tone.

3. I never experience any hair loss until I was about 9 months out, my hair is thick, so it was never noticeable, and eventually stopped on its own.

4. You may encounter some bowel changes in the beginning, due to the pre-op and post-op diet phases, but for me those also went away.

5. Hunger is reduce, the sleeve removes your fundus, which is the primary producer of Ghenlin, or the hunger hormone. Keep in mind that other part of your body produce small amounts of this hormone as well, so over time your hunger will change...but my hunger is nothing like anything I experienced prior to surgery, and I am aver 2 years out now. This can be different for everyone though. After surgery, most of us have a battle understand real hunger vs. head hunger, and it takes some time to realize which is which, but there are tips and tricks to help you along the way.

6. My son was a year old when I had my surgery. I had my surgery in Tijuana Mexico, with Dr. Sergio Quinones. I stayed 2 days in the surgical center, and 1 days at a hotel in Tijuana before crossing back into San Diego the following day. When I got back to SD, I had realized that I booked my ticket wrong and wouldn't be leaving out until the next day. I felt good enough to rent a car and drive over an hour away to the Valley View Casino to play. Along the way I saw an elderly woman that was stranded with a flat tire, so I helped her change it. My flight back home took 13 hours, and I was 5 days out from surgery. As soon as I was home I got right back to taking care of my soon to be 2 year old, taking care of the house, and running my companies. Other than a few gas pains that would come and go, the only thing I had to change was I slept on the couch for a few days rather than my bed, because it felt better.

7. As for the aging, I will let you decide this one...Just click on the photos to see them in a larger format.

This was what I looked like ranging from 7th grade to the year I graduated high school:

FBPic2.jpg8th Grade Graduation.jpgBandPic.jpg1910393_1046419407579_902043_n.jpg

This is what I look like now. I graduated High school in 2005. I had sleeve surgery in 2012, and I have been a smoker since 2007...I will also throw in some pics so you can judge without the makeup:

Progress52014.jpgFacechange.jpglazyday (2).JPG047.jpgIMG_20140604_194600.jpg049.jpg

I hope the info and pictures help. Best wishes on whatever you decide.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm thinking about scheduling my surgery for January. I'll be a self-pay patient and debating on whether to have it done in Tijuana ($5k) or Orange County, CA ($17k). Huge price difference. Is there a difference in post-support? I did call Tijuana - Dr. Almanza - and was surprised to learn that he does not do consultations prior to surgery. He will visit with the patient the day of surgery but not prior for consultation. I'm assuming this is because most surgeons in Tijuana performing these type of surgeries expect patients to have already done their own research.

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Most of your Mexico surgeons either have coordinators that explain the surgery to you, answer your questions, and if they do not have the answer to your question they will ask the surgeon. What I liked about my surgeon was that a good portion of this staff have personally been under the knife with him. I have been back to Mexico a few different times for various procedures. This past July I was down there having a bunch of dental work done, and one of the coolest things that I have gotten to experience since having my surgery was, I went back to see Dr. Quinones and his staff, and show them my progress. THE MOST AMAZING NSV EVER was when I walked in and the assisting surgical staff, that had performed my surgery, had NO clue who I was! It was awesome.

A while back I saw a video this lady done on getting her sleeve in Mexico, it was a neat video, and maybe it will show you a little bit on how the process goes down there. The video has 3 parts, this one is the 2nd part...the first video was interviews with the patients family and things of that nature, but part 2 starts into her actual arrival and stay in Mexico. Hope this helps some:

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

Thank you zmdh. By the way - you look amazing!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

bikrch: thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I love this forum! Thank you all! I think I'm going to book my surgery for January. Starting to get excited! Now I just have to decide whether to do it in Tijuana or California :-)

Surgery date
    03/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Oliak
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times

I've decided to book my surgery for January 2015. Now need to decide whether to do it in California or Tijuana :-) Thank you!