Surgeon
    Dr Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    11-10-2014 07:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Has anyone gained there weight back?

My biggest concern is gaining my weight back. At 390 LBS. I don't see a lot of people on this site that was as big as I am. I have been on all types of diets and I loose wt. at first then I plateau. get frustrated and then gain all my weight back plus some. I also did the Optifast diet and lost wt. but as soon as I went off I gained it back again plus some again!

I guess I am just afraid that I will not be able to maintain the wt. loss.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Kimmi1981's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kimmi
    Surgery date
    06/16/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Hewitt
    Last Activity
    02-23-2015 12:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone gained there weight back?

Hey,

I am like you, forever losing then putting more back on. So far this time due to the fact im so desperate to have this surgery I have managed to keep the weight off as Im so scared they will refused to do the operation. My heaviest was 434 and im now at 354, its been very hard work and im hoping the sleeve will make it a little easier and quicker for me to lose more.

I come on this site everyday to remind me why I am doing this, and to see everyone else succeed makes me even more determined to get myself sorted and get on them funfair rides! (One of my goals!)

Im always here to chat, I have my sleeve booked for 2 weeks time, so I would of had it a few months by the time u have yours so can help u through,.
    As will everyone else on here x

Hang in there...

Gastric Sleeve Member toutdesuite's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rosenthal
    Last Activity
    05-22-2015 06:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 109 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

David, I have the same concerns... see my posts on these threads: http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/q...tml#post444114 and http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/a...tml#post443681

Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

Those who are most successful have made or are making a lifestyle change. I for one have fully embraced making the changes work long term. I have not had any caffeine, soda, or cheese fries since November. I am just 69 lbs away from my surgeon's goal of 230 lbs. That said, here is a link regarding the success of WLS after 5years...

About 65 percent of all bariatric surgery patients are able to lose their excess weight and keep it off for more than five years. Bariatric Surgery FAQs | Rush University Medical Center.

Bariatric Surgery FAQs | Rush University Medical Center

Gastric Sleeve Member Batmanswifeislosing's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/19/2013
    Last Activity
    12-31-2015 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,432 Times
    Blog Entries

I started out at 320, had my surgery in Aug 2013 and have lost 121. I think all of us carry that fear in the back of our minds, some more than others, that we will gain it back, but you have to fight through that and make the decision not to. I have a family member (total of 8 of us friends/family have had this done) who had the surgery a few years ago. She is about 5 foot tall and started at about 250-300lbs. Had the surgery got down to about 120 or so and now weights about 300-350. When we all offer help and support to her she says that the surgery life style was not for her. She admits that she would rather be able to eat a whole pizza than be healthy. No one can make the choices for you.

Is it hard? You bet your butt it is! Can you do it? If you decide too! Will it ever get easier? A little, but you will always have struggles in life. Do you need supporters? More now than ever Don't have any supporters at home? This forum is a great place to get support form people who know what you're going through.

Good luck to you. Always remember that you decide if you will succeed with this surgery, You and you alone.
    I always wanted to be a certain number but after losing and have the skin removed I looked in the mirror and I realized I had hit my goal... I see healthy, beautiful, and happy! Numbers mean nothing to me...but self worth does and MAN AM I VALUABLE!

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

This is hard to write, but as I was here for a long time during the good parts, I will also stop in and be here for the tough questions.
    I started at 335 in June 2011.. I was a bariatric honor student according to my surgeon. Dropped 35 lbs in 11 wks before surgery. Stuck to the plan like glue.
    Dropped 118 lbs total in 9 months including that 3 months. Then I started having some pretty wicked side effects. Gallbladder started acting up, which changed my eating as protein just plain hurt too much. I'd start to sweat for no reason, had tremors, I'd get weak and very ugly emotionally and after 6 months of testing for both issues it was discovered I had: 1. Post bariatric post prandial hypoglycemia. This happens to about 4% of rny patients and 1% of sleeve patients. 2. Essential tremor, mostly due to the hypo. 3. My gallbladder had to go. In the 8 months it ultimately took to get the danged thing out I developed chronic gastritis. I can't explain the pain of gastritis except to perhaps say it's like a sunburn in your stomach.
    My weight loss stopped at 117 lbs (218), and I began to slowly creep back up. Because of the hypo, I must eat more carbs than I need to eat to lose weight, which for me is about 30 a day. The depression of figuring this all out, understanding I'd probably never even hit 199 which was my original goal sent me into a deep depression. I ceased to care. I just ate what didn't hurt, and what didn't hurt was cold sugary stuff. I had my gallbladder out in April 2013. I weighed 235 the day I went in. A year later I am at just about 250, a lb either way for the last 6 solid months. I have managed to stop gaining. I have that little tiny thing to be proud of, and yes, I did permanently lose 85 lbs. But I still weigh more than some people here when they start. That's hard. Really hard. I'm now on ssdi. The hypo and chronic gastritis mixed with my CFIDS have made it impossible for me to work. My day, ironically, consists of me trying to figure out what I can eat...which is just the opposite of what we all hope for, we want to stop thinking about food. For me it's ok, it's 6 am, time to find 21 gms of protein and 7 gms of complex carbs to eat, within my very limited gastritis menu; and to do it 5 more times that day. No grains, no lactose, no raw veggies, no citrus, no coffee, tea, etc, etc. I know, in my heart I will eventually work out a way to heal enough to lose the 32 lbs I gained back. But I'm not going to obsess over it. I'm trying to learn that for me food will never be an enjoyable thing again. I eat chicken, squash, steak, sweet potato, and plain yogurt with fresh fruit. Every day. I'm hungry from the hypo, all day, all night. But eating hurts. Some days I get so frustrated I just think I'll just stop eating like just after the surgery, lose the weight and then start eating again to stay at the size I was for a while. I try it, eating just yogurt and canned chicken, 500, 600 calories. Then the hypo takes over and I end up passed out on the floor...literally. So, I eat my 1200 cal, 120 gms of protein and 42 gms of carbs a day and I stay the same weight. I'm swimming twice a week. I'm hopeful that may up my metabolism a bit. I don't care if I lose 2 lbs a month, and it takes 18 months to lose this weight. It's so bizarre to think that after having lost that much in 11 wks before. But that was before. And this is now.
    In order to answer your original question. Yes, some people gain weight back, either because emotionally they can't handle their new bodies (it happens), or because being smaller isn't all they thought it would be, or because of medical issues, or a combination, like me.

The best advise I can give you:
    1. If you have your gallbladder be sure to ask/demand the med that helps you not get stones/sludge while you lose weight. Neither my surgeon or my pcp, or bizarrely my gastro doc gave it to me. It might have changed everything.
    2. Do not try to lose as fast as you can. Do not forego all carbs or go extremely low. You will set yourself up for sugar issues. Moderation! Better to lose it all slowly than end up like me.
    3. Do not set an unrealistic goal, physically or emotionally. Not getting to my magic number did me in. If I had only felt comfortable at 218 I'd still be there, but feeling like a failure set me up for regain. Don't set a number at all. Just see how it goes.
    4. Look at yourself in the mirror every single week. Take pictures every single week. There's a psychological aspect to this surgery that goes unspoken. Some larger people gain weight as a defense against the world; armor if you will. If you don't pay attention to really watching your body as it slims down you might be startled after a few months and actually get scared; or may just not like how you look naked because in your mind you are picturing your teenaged self and starting at a larger weight...it is not going to happen unless you have some major surgery. Be prepared for droopy skin, for hair loss (it comes back). Keep it real and you'll have the best chance of keeping it off.
    Be well. Time to eat. Oh joy.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Its very possible to gain it back. But you have much better odds than if you lose without the surgery because you will always have some restriction. You can overcome the restriction by eating frequently and making poor food choices, but if you are determined not to regress to where you were, its a heck of a tool that used wisely can assist you in staying at a healthy weight.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    01/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jerome Schrapps
    Last Activity
    10-02-2018 10:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Long story short, I started eating poorly and overeating again about a month ago. No exercise, either. What happened? I started gaining weight! I was really alarmed by this and immediately made some adjustments to stop weight gain dead in its tracks. I've already lost what I gained and then some, whew. Which the gain was about 6 pounds before I was alarmed enough to take action.

If you return to your old habits, you will gain weight. If you maintain your healthy habits, you will not/you will lose again. The important thing is to keep a handle on it and not wait until you gain 20, 30, 40, 100 pounds before you realize it and take action. Pretty much if you don't maintain the lifestyle changes, weight will come back eventually.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-27-2015 01:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Quote Originally Posted by cois1234 View Post
    My biggest concern is gaining my weight back. At 390 LBS. I don't see a lot of people on this site that was as big as I am. I have been on all types of diets and I loose wt. at first then I plateau. get frustrated and then gain all my weight back plus some. I also did the Optifast diet and lost wt. but as soon as I went off I gained it back again plus some again!

I guess I am just afraid that I will not be able to maintain the wt. loss.
    I didn't read everyone else's reply's so sorry if I repeat what has already been said. Honestly from what i've learned so far. To gain the weight back you would literally have to try to get it back. Just keep the basics in mind, the fastest way to gain weight after having the sleeve is if you drink calories. There are a couple others in my area that do nothing but drink shakes and Starbuck's then complain that the "surgery isn't working".

If you are a boredom eater, find an active hobby after your surgery. I make it a point to walk 5 miles a day now, or ill go hiking. Once you start feeling better and the weight comes off, motivation isn't an issue either is energy level. I've lost 80lbs in the last few months and I wasn't near your weight. So you will see it come off much faster if you stick to the diet and walk as much as you can.

The best part about the weight coming off so fast is that, you will have how crappy you felt fresh on your mind. You will feel so much better and have so much more energy that you don't know what to do with. The first few months, you go through the biggest part of the transformation. Take the steps to change old habits at this time. Don't get comfortable as the pounds fly off with no effort..

I think that's the number one thing I read when it comes to the "I failed" posts and blogs. The person usually starts off with "it came off so easily in the beginning, I just ate what ever and didn't worry about it." Watching the people at work, who had this surgery done and are miserable because they cant drop anymore weight and its creeping back on. Don't stop and realize that the Frap or fancy coffee they drink every couple hours are like 600 calories each and made of crap.

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Even if you do the minimum you will lose weight. BUT if you are not going to change your life style don't bother. Its the best thing I've ever done, and I would do again tomorrow. I'm still new. 6A little under 6 months since surgery. I started my pre-op diet Jan1, so its has been easy for me to remember. 88lbs since I started. I watch what I eat......( I do cheat. Occasional cake, chips, beer, high calorie food) But a handful of chips, small piece of cake 1 or 2 beers etc.... Just enough....... You will see and know when its enough. Biggest thing is I exercise which I actually enjoy ( treadmill for 15-30 minutes, and a weight circuit. Total gym time about 1hr. 20 minutes ), and try to eat healthy. Don't buy the stuff that will set you off, and have it sitting in your house. Good Luck and you will love it.......PS buy cheap clothes and not a lot. I went from a 44 to 34 pants size so far.

Gastric Sleeve Member rhill2901's Avatar
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times

The gastric sleeve is a tool. It makes loosing weight much easier. nothing more. If you needed to cut a piece of wood, you could chew it with your teeth, you could wittle away with a rock, or you could use a saw. The gastric sleeve makes losing weight much easier. Most lose 100 pounds in 6 months if they tried, barring any medical conditions. Think of it this way, is it worth it to you to lose 100 pounds? The answer is YES!!!! Its a lifestyle change you have to accept and the affects are permanent if you don't abuse the tool. Could you lose 100 pounds in six months without it? Maybe, but highly unlikely.

Could you gain the weight back? Could you get in a car crash, could you get run over by a train, could an asteroid hit the earth, bringing armegeddon to the earth? We could come up with a million reasons why not do something, but from all on this forums, we were skeptical when we searched for answers and took the plunge and had the procedure. Most if not all regret only one thing. Not doing it sooner in our lives...

Welcome to the forums and good luck in your search for the lighter side of things

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Mich-D View Post
    Those who are most successful have made or are making a lifestyle change. I for one have fully embraced making the changes work long term. I have not had any caffeine, soda, or cheese fries since November. I am just 69 lbs away from my surgeon's goal of 230 lbs. That said, here is a link regarding the success of WLS after 5years...

About 65 percent of all bariatric surgery patients are able to lose their excess weight and keep it off for more than five years. Bariatric Surgery FAQs | Rush University Medical Center.

Bariatric Surgery FAQs | Rush University Medical Center
    But 100% want to keep it off forever. I am thinking that the only way to keep it off is to do some counseling and overeaters anonymous and find out what made us over eat in the first place. Get that healed and then the chances of regain are very low..I hope

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    This is hard to write, but as I was here for a long time during the good parts, I will also stop in and be here for the tough questions.
    I started at 335 in June 2011.. I was a bariatric honor student according to my surgeon. Dropped 35 lbs in 11 wks before surgery. Stuck to the plan like glue.
    Dropped 118 lbs total in 9 months including that 3 months. Then I started having some pretty wicked side effects. Gallbladder started acting up, which changed my eating as protein just plain hurt too much. I'd start to sweat for no reason, had tremors, I'd get weak and very ugly emotionally and after 6 months of testing for both issues it was discovered I had: 1. Post bariatric post prandial hypoglycemia. This happens to about 4% of rny patients and 1% of sleeve patients. 2. Essential tremor, mostly due to the hypo. 3. My gallbladder had to go. In the 8 months it ultimately took to get the danged thing out I developed chronic gastritis. I can't explain the pain of gastritis except to perhaps say it's like a sunburn in your stomach.
    My weight loss stopped at 117 lbs (218), and I began to slowly creep back up. Because of the hypo, I must eat more carbs than I need to eat to lose weight, which for me is about 30 a day. The depression of figuring this all out, understanding I'd probably never even hit 199 which was my original goal sent me into a deep depression. I ceased to care. I just ate what didn't hurt, and what didn't hurt was cold sugary stuff. I had my gallbladder out in April 2013. I weighed 235 the day I went in. A year later I am at just about 250, a lb either way for the last 6 solid months. I have managed to stop gaining. I have that little tiny thing to be proud of, and yes, I did permanently lose 85 lbs. But I still weigh more than some people here when they start. That's hard. Really hard. I'm now on ssdi. The hypo and chronic gastritis mixed with my CFIDS have made it impossible for me to work. My day, ironically, consists of me trying to figure out what I can eat...which is just the opposite of what we all hope for, we want to stop thinking about food. For me it's ok, it's 6 am, time to find 21 gms of protein and 7 gms of complex carbs to eat, within my very limited gastritis menu; and to do it 5 more times that day. No grains, no lactose, no raw veggies, no citrus, no coffee, tea, etc, etc. I know, in my heart I will eventually work out a way to heal enough to lose the 32 lbs I gained back. But I'm not going to obsess over it. I'm trying to learn that for me food will never be an enjoyable thing again. I eat chicken, squash, steak, sweet potato, and plain yogurt with fresh fruit. Every day. I'm hungry from the hypo, all day, all night. But eating hurts. Some days I get so frustrated I just think I'll just stop eating like just after the surgery, lose the weight and then start eating again to stay at the size I was for a while. I try it, eating just yogurt and canned chicken, 500, 600 calories. Then the hypo takes over and I end up passed out on the floor...literally. So, I eat my 1200 cal, 120 gms of protein and 42 gms of carbs a day and I stay the same weight. I'm swimming twice a week. I'm hopeful that may up my metabolism a bit. I don't care if I lose 2 lbs a month, and it takes 18 months to lose this weight. It's so bizarre to think that after having lost that much in 11 wks before. But that was before. And this is now.
    In order to answer your original question. Yes, some people gain weight back, either because emotionally they can't handle their new bodies (it happens), or because being smaller isn't all they thought it would be, or because of medical issues, or a combination, like me.

The best advise I can give you:
    1. If you have your gallbladder be sure to ask/demand the med that helps you not get stones/sludge while you lose weight. Neither my surgeon or my pcp, or bizarrely my gastro doc gave it to me. It might have changed everything.
    2. Do not try to lose as fast as you can. Do not forego all carbs or go extremely low. You will set yourself up for sugar issues. Moderation! Better to lose it all slowly than end up like me.
    3. Do not set an unrealistic goal, physically or emotionally. Not getting to my magic number did me in. If I had only felt comfortable at 218 I'd still be there, but feeling like a failure set me up for regain. Don't set a number at all. Just see how it goes.
    4. Look at yourself in the mirror every single week. Take pictures every single week. There's a psychological aspect to this surgery that goes unspoken. Some larger people gain weight as a defense against the world; armor if you will. If you don't pay attention to really watching your body as it slims down you might be startled after a few months and actually get scared; or may just not like how you look naked because in your mind you are picturing your teenaged self and starting at a larger weight...it is not going to happen unless you have some major surgery. Be prepared for droopy skin, for hair loss (it comes back). Keep it real and you'll have the best chance of keeping it off.
    Be well. Time to eat. Oh joy.
    Grace, it sounds like you have had a hell of a rough road. Congrats for maintaining such a large loss despite all you have gone through. Is there a dietician that can help you get back on track with all your food limitations? I know they can be expensive but I would go for it , no matter what. Also, to help the rest of us what was your carb intake that caused your hypoglycemia?

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I've been to 4 different nutritionists. Bariatric, Gastro, endocrine and naturopathic related. What I'm doing now is what all agree is best. Ideally someone with reactive hypo would eat a lot of raw veggies or other soluble fiber with each meal to help slow digestion. I can't do that, in fact I can eat about 3/4 cup of butter (very soft) lettuce once a day, max and that's it for raw veggies. (this doesn't apply to most sleeve folk, it's my chronic gastritis more than anything doing this).
    The different schools of thought:
    Bariatric - very low carb eat 3xday (this makes me literally pass out)
    Gastro - lots of carbs in the form of things like oatmeal and rice to soothe my stomach (this caused my regain)
    Endocrine - suggestion above with veggies, she is more concerned with my sugar bounce than my weight as well
    Naturopath - (always my fav folks) Be happy with the weight you dropped. Concentrate on what to eat that makes you feel healthy, eat 6x day min, protein to carb ratio 3:1, add good fats at each meal

The carb load I ate while losing was under 30 religiously. That might just be fine for a lot of folks without predisposition to sugar issues. For those who start this with insulin resistance or glucose intolerance, Endocrine and Naturopath both say it's better to never go below 60 carbs a day to help not shock your pancreas. If you have one of those metabolic disorders, seeing an endocrine specific nutritionist rather than a bariatric one would be highly suggested....
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Grace, thank you for all this information. The odds are low that I will develop the kind of hypoglycemia you now have. However, I want to decrease those odds. So I'm going to heed your advice and not go the low-carb route.

Per My Fitness Pal records, in the last 30 days my carbs have dipped below 30 only 5 days and have averaged 49/day. I'm going to immediately add more fruit to my diet starting today. I'm 42 days out, so it's time to do that anyway.

It is certain that your posts here will save several people from unnecessary grief and disability. Thank you so, so much.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89