Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-15-2014 08:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Weight Loss, Eating, And Supplements

Hello Everyone,

I am nearly 1 year post op. I had my gastric sleeve operation done on May, 17 2013 in Mexico. Today is April 16, 2014. A few points:
    • Mexico saved me 2/3rd's the cost ($5k) of gastric sleeve performed in Atlanta,GA ($17k) Without the cost savings, I never would have been able to afford the operation as a self-pay customer. My insurance did not support this procedure, so I had to pay cash if I wanted it... and I wanted it. I was SO tired of being fat.
    • In May, 2013, I weighed 325 lbs... in April, 2014, I weight 200 lbs. That's a 125 lb. loss! I stand 6 foot 4 inches, so I am now skin-ny! In high school I weighed 185 lbs., so I am near my high school weight. Haven't been this skinny in decades!
    • The weight loss has brought additional benefits... I no longer need life-long prescriptions for lowering my cholesterol & blood pressure levels, the prescription to control ulcerative colitis & no longer need a machine for sleep apnea. I virtually came off all my meds and even better, turned-around the downward trend each of these conditions are historically known for.
    • About 6 months after my surgery, I requested my family Doctor do blood work, which indicated I was deficient in vitamins D, B12, and protein. Not good.
    • Last week I had blood work performed again. I remain deficient in all three, but am seeing my levels rise from 5 months ago. So I take vitamin D and B12 supplements daily, drink protein beverages, sprinkle protein powder in some foods and coffee and take a daily multivitamin. I eat mostly protein.
    • I can easily eat too much and find great discomfort and nausea about 15 minutes after eating. My portions have to be kept EXTREMELY small. For instance, I cannot eat even a full slice of pizza, it is just too much food. I cannot eat a child's "happy meal"...even if I remove the bun (which I do), the french fries, beverage, & apple slices have to be discarded. A salad is hard to finish, a 1/2 bowl of soup, a 1/2 an egg sandwich or a hot dog (no bun) comprise the proportions of a "meal" that I can tolerate. I feel miserable if I try to eat more. I try to eat roughly every two hours, even if it's only a few handfulls of nuts, or a 1/2 yogurt, or a 1/4 bowl of cereal, I have to eat often to supplement what I cannot eat all at one time. Eating food and drinking a beverage at the same time, is impossible, even a year post op. I eat less than my 5 foot, 115 lb, wife!!
    • I regret the lack of gastro/medical follow-up I cannot receive because my operation was not performed by a local facility. No gastric doctor will monitor me or my progress. I didn't think this was going to be important at the time of my operation, but I now see that it is. Like I said, I couldn't afford the operation stateside, so some hard choices were made and I rolled the dice. I am not complaining, but my nutrition, my energy level, my get-up-and-go has me and my wife concerned.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member HGfromOmaha's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Howard
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ismael Cabrera
    Last Activity
    06-06-2017 02:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 71 Times
    Was Thanked 80 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 71 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Weight Loss, Eating, And Supplements

Thank you for your post. I am hoping to have the same success as you but I'm only a month post-op and have a long way to go.

I do have a question. Were you taking the multivitamin, B12, and Vitamin D right after your surgery or did you only start after 6 months? I ask because I am taking those vitamins now and if I need to adjust them so I'm not deficient, then maybe this would be the best time for me to do that.

Name
    The Tina
    Surgery date
    10/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hata
    Last Activity
    01-22-2021 06:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi.
    I see the nutritionists, nurse practitioner and surgeon and have blood work done every 3 months for the first year post op to check vitamin levels.
    Even if you have your surgery elsewhere, I would imagine your primary care person would be happy to do these things with you.
    I also have to take calcium.

Good Luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member KingaKongo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Hey HG,
    The multivitamin and B12 - yes, I was taking them right after surgery. Vitamin D- no, but I should have been I guess. Its good you are taking them. I take 2000 i.u. of D3 and 2500 mcg of B12 (sublingual) per my doctor's orders. I've been told the D takes the longest to build back up, good 'ol sunshine is the best way they say. Lay out in the sun for an hour each day on the weekends, and take the pills during the work week. Have a chat with your pharmacist. I was surprised to learn my numbers grew, but not by much. When I started, I think my Vitamin D had dropped to 20... and 30 was in the normal range. After 6-8 weeks, My number raised to 22, so It may take 6 months for me to achieve "nomal".

Gastric Sleeve Member KingaKongo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks tinoch,

You a right. I am just now beginning with a nutritionalist. I SHOULD have done this immediately after surgery, but I am an idiot. I too was taking calcium daily, but for the first time in my life, developed kidney stones, so I stopped. I saw my urologist, and he said "stones" are rarely made of calcium, so I drew my own conclusion of calcium=kidney stones, and was wrong, AGAIN. Folks, let this be a warning.... never take my advice!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents