Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Singh
    Last Activity
    07-01-2015 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Considering Gastric Sleeve

Hi to all you sleevers out there! I've been on my weight loss journey since last Feb (2014) and after attending some of our local classes for bariatric surgery, decided to try to lose the weight one more time "the slow way" under the supervision of the bariatric dept. I started off pretty well, but after hitting about a 22 lb. weight loss, have been up and down ever since, so I've lost a total of only 118 lbs! Nothing new there; it's all I've ever been able to lose at once.

So, figuring the need for surgery, I spoke with the surgeon last week. I was set on the sleeve, I am scared to death of the bypass, but the surgeon said even though it was up to me he would recommend the bypass so that my diabetes would definitely resolve. I have had diabetes for many years now (I am 64) but I've always controlled it with diet( no meds) and my A1C has never been over a 6, so I was very surprised that he thought that. I have also had heart failure after a bout of pneumonia but have been OK for years. And I have high bp which has recently gone up even after losing 18 lbs. So I'm in a real quandary.

I'm so afraid of the bypass that I'm afraid if I decide to go that way I'll chicken out and never do anything. Yet, I don't want to have the sleeve and still have these health problems. He said even if I get thin I may not lose the health problems. Have any of you had any experience with this? I feel so much better about having the sleeve.

Well I hope I can learn from all of you and make a good decision. I only have until Feb., then I have to start the process over again. Thanks for listening.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Anna
    Surgery date
    09/15/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tishler
    Last Activity
    04-28-2018 10:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering Gastric Sleeve

Are you saying that you lost 118 pounds in ten months? And that is not good? I am confused.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Singh
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

No, only 18. If I put 118 I am sorry! Thanks for replying.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wohlgemuth
    Last Activity
    12-24-2014 12:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

I wouldn't go gastic bypass either. If your doctor is pressuring you and you're not comfortable, look for another doctor. My doctor said sleeve is also effective for my diabetes, as well as other medical issues (just not lap band). I concur that Gastric bypass is too radical (at least for me!) and totally changes all aspects of life.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Mary, how much do you weigh right now?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Anna
    Surgery date
    09/15/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tishler
    Last Activity
    04-28-2018 10:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annade View Post
    Are you saying that you lost 118 pounds in ten months? And that is not good? I am confused.
    Okay. Your post makes more sense now. I haven't had surgery yet. However, I have read on this forum and others weight loss surgery forums extensively, and I have done a huge amount of research into both surgeries. I am diabetic and I have used diet and Metformin to control my blood sugar. The gastric bypass seems too drastic for me personally, I don't want my intestines rerouted. Also, I have anemia and other vitamin deficiencies from autoimmune issues, so my doctor doesn't want me having bypass surgery anyways. My surgeon has recommend the sleeve surgery for me. He told me that it would most likely resolve my diabetes, as he had seen many patients have complete recovery from diabetes after sleeve surgery. I have doubted my choice to have surgery all along the way through my journey. However, I see on here that many people doubted their decisions too, and even had a time period of regret after the surgery. Yet, there is an overwhelming majority of people that, after they have healed and successfully maintained their weight, are completely thrilled with the choice of having the surgery. You will see many many stories of people that think the surgery is the best decision they ever made for their health. Even stories of people, having severe complications, and still staying they're happy with their results after they had the surgery. However, you have to do what you feel is best for you. I think it is great that you're coming here looking for information to help you make your decision, that is why I came here in the first place. Keep researching until you feel comfortable. No matter what you decide I wish you good luck on your journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Singh
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks all of you for answering. I had decided I couldn't go through with a bypass and decided not to do any thinking about surgery at all for awhile. I started this journey at 226 lbs.,(5'2"tall) went down to 207 through diet and am back up to 214 now. I yo-yo back and forth both in my dieting and in my resolve to have surgery! I'm back thinking of the sleeve again, but have to make a decision before the end of Feb. and now I have to lose 7 lbs. or my dr. won't let me have the surgery. More pressure and I'm not sure I'll make it. Winter is eating time for me. I'll keep reading these posts for inspiration.