Surgeon
    prof. Rubino
    Last Activity
    01-13-2015 03:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Default new to all of this !

Just got my date for a gastric sleeve 25/11/2014 & started pre-op diet. My surgery is being done on nhs by prof Rubino from kings college hospital in London. Although, actual surgery at The Lister Hospital, Chelsea in London because of demands on beds & patient backlog. I have had (6 years ago) bowel cancer & now clear, CES (cauda equina syndrome), have type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure & sleep apnoea  my doctors have said this weight loss surgery will be the best chance of helping to "cure" or at least ease most of my medical problems. It has taken 2 & half years of tests, therapy sessions, group sessions, psychiatric evaluation, more tests etc etc & now here it is ... A date in 2 weeks time. However I am having extreme difficulty sticking to the pre-op diet even though I know its a vital step. I have chosen the low carb, low fat, low sugar food based diet (I am so not good at diets - hence the op ) how do people manage ????? Help!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member chris_1962's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    chris
    Surgery date
    11/07/2014
    Surgeon
    dr couch
    Last Activity
    08-22-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new to all of this !

here in Australia we are put on the Opti Fast Diet its amazing and really does work. It was so good that i nearly canceled my surgery and stay on that. I lost 10 kg befor surgery in 17 days.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member rntwinsmommy's Avatar
    Name
    Lori
    Surgery date
    10/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Christopher You
    Last Activity
    07-10-2015 01:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Just try to remember why your doing it and that it's all temporary. You will be able to eat what you prefer again. I wish you the best!

Start of education classes (4/14)- 269
    Start of pre op diet 254 -15
    Day of surgery 241 -28
    2 weeks post 233 -36
    1 month post 224 -45
    2 months post 211 -58
    3 months post. 201 -68
    4 months post 194 -75

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/27/2014
    Surgeon
    prof. Rubino
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Just heard today that my op date is postponed �� NHS has its disadvantages. Under the care of Kings College hospital (Prof. Rubino) I was due to have my op at The Lister Hospital in Chelsea because of patient backlog but now the Lister can't accommodate Prof. Rubino's surgical list so I will have op at Kings (I'm told!!!) But not on 25th & I have been doing the 2 we pre op diet which I am finding so very hard �� I don't know if I can keep it going til I am given another date. Have been told it should be late Nov/early Dec. I am so disappointed having psyched myself up for next Tuesday.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear your surgery got postponed, but at least you're still going to be able to have it. Take the extra time to work on the new habits you'll have to learn and read up on even more of what to expect post-op. That way you'll be doubly prepared. Best of luck to you!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/27/2014
    Surgeon
    prof. Rubino
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Thankk you sara . I see you are 3 days post op - how are you doing? Well I hope. I am really curious toknow how it feels & are you hungry?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm actually doing great. I can even sleep on my stomach at night, but I have to be VERY careful about moving around. As far as how it feels, I don't feel any different. I only notice the difference when I eat or drink. For instance when I drink I take in some air too so every sip is followed by a tiny burp. When I eat I'm much slower than I used to be because I'm "listening" to my stomach and seeing where the full line is. As for hunger, I don't feel it right now. I just keep a schedule of when I think I should eat something which as of yesterday is still only about twice a day and not much. The Dietician set my goal to be three 8oz shakes a day. I'll get there soon, I just managed my first whole shake this morning.

But I'm just one example out of many. I hope you'll do as well or even better than me!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

I could tell you my story, but I guarantee you everyone's story is a little different. The first few days after surgery may be a little rough. For me it got better pretty fast. Say good bye to hunger or thirst. The first two weeks should be nothing but liquid including protein shakes. Soup can be your best friend. Best advice I can give is DRINK. Water was not easy for me at first. I used sugar free ice pops, sugar free jello, water with flavor drops. At your first post op appt. the nutritionist will let you know when to move on to puree's. Take it slow. The weight comes off real fast. I use Fitness Pal app to keep track of my nutrition. This forum is a wonderful place to get support. Feel free to ask any questions. I know I have!

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

My weight loss was the opposite .my weight loss has been slow but steady ... I started at a lower BMI and I am older 63... Just telling you this so you are not
    upset if you do not loss fast .. I am down 65 lbs .. 6.5 lbs from my goal weight .. So nothing to be upset bout but I first I could not understand why I was not lossimg as much as some others .. This is an individual journey for each of us .. Biggest advice I can give is be sure to get your fluids and protein in .. It may seem like it takes all day to do it but that's okay .. Also stay as activite as you can ..good luck and I hope that you get your date soon !!!
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/27/2014
    Surgeon
    prof. Rubino
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

I just need to get this done now ..... I have waited so long but with the postponement, this last few weeks is a nightmare and I am running out of patience & willpower for the pre op diet !!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr odamo
    Last Activity
    10-18-2015 06:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hiya Desiree!
    Hang in there!
    I am so pleased to read of another patient having the surgery under the NHS! I had mine done exactly one week ago at UCH.
    One of my biggest fears was being cancelled and until I was actually on the operating table, I couldnt believe it was happening. Quite a few people i know were postponed by the NHS--even on the day of surgery, and that must be SO tough.
    I am sorry for you cuz I know how difficult the pre-diet is. I think it is even more difficult than post surgery!
    Wishing you the strength to continue because we hope that the outcome will outwiegh any negatives.
    Keep strong!
    xx British

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/27/2014
    Surgeon
    prof. Rubino
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

OK update ....... I didn't have to wait too long as I am now re-scheduled for this Thursday (27th) @ Kings College Hospital. I do hope this is it now because I want to be "post-op" :-) thank you for all your positive replies & wishes.