Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

8-Months post-op

1. Shirl
    Shirl
    Just reaching out to see how everyone is doing?

Tomorrow is my 8-month post-op, I started my menstrual period yesterday (finally! it was a week overdue!) and this morning I weighed 180lbs. That's 7lbs gain. Hopefully, next Monday will be a better telltale.

I am still wearing Mediums off the rack which makes my heart smile since I cannot the last time I ever bought a medium anything.

I had labs done on January 6th and met with the bariatric surgeon (not my original surgeon) here in Austin, and all my labs were excellent. I was worried about my fasting sugars, but they were 90 which he said it's perfect, as well as all my vitamins levels. My AC1 back in October was 4.6 which is out of the prediabetic range, and that is the number one reason I chose to go this route.

I am meeting with him again in May for my one year check up. My goal is to work on my cholesterol panel, my cholesterol is down to 178, Triglyceride is 107, and my LDL was 115, but my HDL was 42 which is okay, but the higher the number, the better against heart disease.

My PCP ordered I see a gastroenterologist in prep for my 50th birthday colonoscopy... yish lady that's still a year and four months away! I am going to see him/her in February.

I have read a few not so great post-op stories, folks having some severe health difficulties post-op, I count my blessings every day, and I am grateful that my gastric sleeve journey has been seamless. I am not going to complain about not losing weight this month; I know if I work my plan I will continue to get leaner, healthier and closer to my ideal weight.
  2. Mrs_Wine
    Mrs_Wine
    Great job! Keep it up.
    I am doing great, yesterday I stepped on the scale and was 169.6 lbs. Yippee!!!!! I haven't been below 170 probably in 15 years.I had my blood work done and all is well too. I am thankful every day for feeling great and not having any complications. Clothes shopping has been so much fun. I bought a size small top on Friday and can easily fit into size 10 jeans from the GAP or Old Navy. The skin is loose and I just need to really work on it harder, although I have thought about speaking with a plastic surgeon. I will cross that bridge when I get to a year, m goal to be at 150 lbs. I thank you ladies for always being here.
  3. Shirl
    Shirl
    ✨Congratulations on your weight loss!✨

I love clothes shopping more these days too! And I have been wearing more tights than I ever did.

I'm not too bothered enough about skin (just yet anyway lol!) but I do have a regimen that I think it's helping keeping my skin smooth. I dry brush before I shower, and I use organic grade essential oils. I am huge fan of pure macadamia nut oil and use to massage my legs and shoulders, underarms and sides morning and night (actually it has become an obsessive routine). I also use Skin Eternal DMAE Lotion and serum that Kindle recommended on my stomach and inner thighs. I also have been using Ling Skin Care (my oldest is their product representative) for my face, neck and chest for years. I think lifting weights has helped a lot too.

I'm not promising over night results, but if you start dry brushing and exfoliating your whole body you will feel good and get amazing results down the road.
  4. Angelheart
    Angelheart
    Hello Everyone,
    I am in my 4 month post op. My main concern is the loss of hair. I don't know what to do to stop it from happening. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  5. Shirl
    Shirl
    Hairloss is inevitable, specially after major traumatic events like surgery or major illness and even tragic emotional events. Eating a low calorie and strict diet will definitely make your body react the same. Hair development is not essential for human evolution, so it doesn't get the essential nutrients when things go awry. The first thing is to not let it consume you, second make sure you are following your doc's recommendations for protein and water. Your hair will grow back, but every time you drop the ball on protein or water you will start losing hair.

I'm upto 1200 calories a day, and consume 85-95g of protein from those calories. So I eat lots of chicken, meat, eggs, cheese, yogurt, almonds, lentils and beans. I take my daily multivitamins and drink plenty of water. And I also use essential oil masks on a weekly basis. The masks may or may not help, but it makes me feel good and my hair feels fabulous. I also do keep my hair shorter than I used to by getting regular trims, seems like I go once a month. It used to take me hours to blow dry my hair straight, now it's like 15min tops.

Try to connect with others who are about the your same surgery date to see what is working for them.
  6. Triple love
    Triple love
    I am out 6 1/2 months. Today I weigh 168.4. I am very excited about that. I lose slow compared to others but I'm older probably. I have a blob of belly fat still hanging there which doesn't let me get into medium or smaller jeans. I've lost so much in my arms and legs. That's where I've always lost weight first. But my husband and I are working out now and I'm lifting weights. I was just walking but decided i need weights. My hair has gotten thinner. Due to my surgeries, genes and age. Plus I don't eat like I use to. I take Biotin religiously. It has really helped. Also here's a great tip...buy Toppik from beauty supply house. comes with a applicator and you apply it while your styling your hair. I use the med brown. Apply to scalp where hair is thinnest. It really works great. My hair stylist got it for me. Sally's carries it. God Bless