Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

weight loss after 50

1. kmomjj2
    kmomjj2
    Maybe I am putting the cart before the horse...but being over 50 I can't help wondering...if I have been heavy for the last 9 years..and I all of a sudden lose a lot of weight...aren't I going to have a lot of extra skin? Where will it go? will it shrink? or am I just going to have yards of extra skin when this is over.
    I am new to this site, and I haven't found where anyone has posted on this subject, that doesn't mean it isn't here...I just haven't found it yet.
    Does anyone have any info or real life experience with this? My surgery isn't until 2/20/12...but I tend to worry. Even if it's ahead of time!
  2. TucsonAmy
    TucsonAmy
    Oh, i would say there is no doubt you will have extra skin! Many of us are planning to do cs after we have reached goal. One of the drawbacks to being fat and older It's still worth it, in my opinion.
  3. LindaJ
    LindaJ
    Kmomjj, I too am over 50 and am scheduled for my sleeve in April. My inspiration, was my cousin who is also over 50. She has lost in excess of 150 lbs. She looks amazing. So speaking from her experience, most of her skin is regaining it's shape as we all would hope. It by no means is the skin of a 20 year old LOL, but has responded to exercise. However she does have excess skin in her stomach area, which is where she carried most of her weight. It will never go back to normal. I asked her if she was planning to have surgery to remove the skin and she adamantly says no. She says that she is not likely to ever be wearing a bikini again in her life, so Spanks work just fine for her. Did I mention she looks amazing! I think if I were still in my twenties and having WLS I would definitely consider CS if needed. My biggest worry is my breast! They already headed south, so what will the weight loss bring. I might have to rethink this area for CS :-)
  4. mi49301
    mi49301
    I have read that it can take up to 2 years for the skin to rebound so give yourself time! I lost over 100 lbs when I was 47 and all my skin came back fine. I did swim at the ymca and also did some weight lifting . Here I am again, only 55 and doing the gastric sleeve. I just ordered the callanetics dvds, that work with skin and so I will let you know how that works! I used this years ago (only VHS) and had great success.