Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Coping strategies for comfort/binge eating

1. Fatandfedup
    Fatandfedup
    Would be great to get a list of Coping Strategies that people use!

A friend suggested putting washing up liquid on the food to spoil it so it could no be eaten.
  2. BBARB
    BBARB
    I look at it and think about not having a need to cook for the next day at work! so I guess I am so lazy that I rather store it for later!
  3. headnrs3044
    headnrs3044
    I worked nights MANY years. I find myself waking up in the middle of the night "hungry". Now I know I am NOT hungry, but my mind says yes. I would love to hear any and all suggestions for Coping Strategies for that night time DEMON!
  4. susieq1
    susieq1
    Hello,
    I'm new to this site and forum...Long history of stress eating and binging...When I'm good, I'm very good, when I'm bad, I'm very bad...Maybe it's never taking that first bite....Maybe it's not ever feeling full...Unless yo have go too far.
  5. Fatandfedup
    Fatandfedup

Lots of great idea and support
  6. susieq1
    susieq1
    thanks I'll check it out...
  7. SECRETSLEEVE
    SECRETSLEEVE
    I find it impossible to binge eat since geeting the sleeve
  8. cja
    cja
    Food was always my go to friend for coping and comfort with anything. But since being sleeved, I no longer have that crutch, thank goodness. I could use some strategies on new ways to cope now.
  9. Hazimax
    Hazimax
    I've done the washing up liquid thing before, when I used to binge a lot. I would even take food out of the bin on my bad days, so I always poured bleach in the bin too so I wouldn't be able to eat anything.

Now instead, I ask myself when I want to binge, why I want to binge. How would the food help the problem? How long would it bring me comfort?? Is there any other way i can get the comfort that doesn't involve food.

So far, I've been binge free for over 4 months. I find writing about it really helps keep you accountable.
  10. BigDogMom
    BigDogMom
    I have not yet been able to flip the mental switch from "I can't have..." to "I can have...". I can certainly feel and see the 30lbs gone in 3wks. I have used food (usually carb-filled) for an emotional crutch for decades. I can't hardly eat much at all now, but my mind still craves my favorite things. I wish I could tell myself, and any of you, some sort of magical mantra to let go of my food addiction. I keep trying to tell myself that I love myself and my future more than I love to eat.
  11. jesslovesharry
    jesslovesharry
    Hi Group! My name is Jessica and I am a binger. I am having the surgery as a tool to help me. My surgery is on wednesday. I have controlled my binging, but I am so scared I wont be able to after the surgery. My doctor assures sme it will be much easier for me to excercise my self control.
  12. azoreangal
    azoreangal
    Just a few things that come to mind. Set up an ongoing puzzle, or get a big Crossword puzzle book and get the crossword puzzle dictionary and that will get you past the impossible puzzles and help you start to learn new words that later are remembered and keeps you interested in solving these puzzles. I try to do at least the jigsaw puzzle and it keeps me from constantly thinking of food. I also suggest doing crafts that you never do because of time and make it happen. I also need to start going out more and joining different things like Scrapbooking or something that gets me out of the house which I love to be in. Maybe this will spark up some activity that will get your mind off food. Good Luck. I am also going to look into Self Sabotage because I tend to do that a lot with eating and not being hungry. I call it a big Appetite because you can eat with out really being hungry. Good luck everyone.
  13. lyndahuffman
    lyndahuffman
    hi I am Lynda, I have been having a hard time craving sugar all the time this last 2 months .I am so scared all the time that my new stomach is going to stretch back out . I am just so scared all the time when it comes to any food!! I just want to do this the right way for a change !! I could really use the support ,there for I am learning how to use a computer lol I am good at giving advice and support , but awful at applying it to myself!!
  14. sweetsal
    sweetsal
    I everyone, I am sweetsal and I am a binge eater. There were a lot of good idea presented here. I want to say my doctor also said that big craving would be gone, but from what I am hearing I think he put a little spin on that answer. Carbs are really my biggest down fall. I already know a lot of the coping methods, but sometimes the pain or tiredness overcomes your brain. That is why even before being sleeved I am working with a therapist. I really hope she can help me.

Sweetsal