Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Husband Scared to Death about Traveling to Mexico, Says no to surgery

1. gigi28
    gigi28
    my husband said no to traveling to mexico. I got the surgery approved, the loan approved, was ready to make my deposit on 12-31-2012 for the lower rate and he says no. He saw some documentary on Tiajuana and crimes/kidnappings in other parts of Mexico that he is totally against it. I told him about this forum and the procedures of how someone picks you up at the airport, take you to the doctor/hotel, etc and his comment is yeah, thats how they get you. I am so disappointed. I am still working on him and I am still going on with everything planned in preparation such as getting a passport, taking all my testing in the US so that insurance will pay for those procedures and I will know that I am ok to have surgery. Preop diet, etc. Pray for me, I really want this done in Mexico for the cheaper rate.
  2. Jedi
    Jedi
    It is sad and unfortunate that people hear rumors that are
    Not even true, but I respect yoir husbands point of view maybe we can
    Educate him about how Tijuana is a very safe town.

Crime happens everywhere unfotunately read the news and all you see is that
    Those Mass Killings that happened last month in the US would scare anyone in the world
    From going to the US but still people travel to it everyday

I spent the new year in Vegas and had a blast
    Even thoigh it is a high crime city and there where 500 000 people on the strip
    Nothing major happened

He is welcome to come with you and stay with you at the hospital and the Hotel
    At no extra charge

He can skype you, e mail you, call you at the hospital and hotel

I think also several people from here can vouche for us

You will be 3 miles away from the US when you are in the hospital
    And a 1/2 mile away from the US when you are at the Hotel

We are certified by US Customs as a Medical Tourism Provider who has
    Clearance to cross bia the medical lane and we are also certified by the Mexican
    Government as a Reputable Medical Tourism Provider

Happy New Years lets hope he comes around

Hernry Cortez
    Patient Relations Director
  3. laserskingirl
    laserskingirl
    I think I am more worried about complications which can happen anywhere you do the surgery, than the Mexico part. Dr. Garcia is going to be my choice for my surgery in June, and Tijuana is not my first worry. Im confident I want to do this but only concern is my health but I would worry over any surgery. Crime happens everywhere in the USA,,, just look a few weeks back at Conneticut or the mall shooting in Oregon. Just sayin.....
  4. sobiato
    sobiato
    @gigi28 not sure if you are a member of Dr. Quinones private fb page, there you can get all the before & after support you will need, also you can talk to actual patients, read their testimonials, see upcoming patients dates and actually send them messages etc. I'm actually being sleeved on Jan 11, 2013 I was also traveling bymyself, but joining the group I found someone who was being sleeved on the same day so now I have a survey buddy & we are flying in together now, a surgery buddy is a great support!!!!
  5. euvette
    euvette
    I thought like that at first because of the news reports but I assure you that everything is going to be alright. Me and my boyfriend even walked down the street my last day at the hospital. He even hung out with Alma because there was a soccer game going on at the same. I'm one of the mosr cautious people when it comes to my surroundings and not one time did i feel unsafe.
  6. Phoenixrise
    Phoenixrise
    Mexico's currently always in our news in San Diego and the fact is right now the safest time to travel to Mexico ever part about the San Diego news also a lot of people don't know is that the mayor of San Diego is considering open an office in Tijuana.as an American who has been to Tijuana several times I can attest that it is not as bad as people say it is. many Americans live in Tijuana as well it is cheaper and just minutes away from San Diego. if you were from San Diego you would understand that Tijuana is really not as bad as people say a matter fact when we talk about dental that's the number 1 place people go. Everyday Americas cross the border to get some procedure preformed. If your hubby would like to talk to me have him call me. 6192187433
  7. Smitlien
    Smitlien
    I'm traveling half way accros the world on my own on Jan 15th to get the surgery done. Henry was verry helpfull with all my questions! I feel verry confident with my doctor choice etc. You are welcome to contact me when I'm done with surgery cause just like your husband I also don't know what to expect traveling to mexico
  8. Enfury8me
    Enfury8me
    I had my surgery there with no problem. In fact my hubby and I liked the area so well that we are going back in June this year to visit the city of Rosarito just south of Tijuana. We are considering buying property there and retiring there.
  9. zmdh39
    I can understand you husbands worries, my dad had it in his head that I was going to go down there and get drug off by the Cartel and have my organs harvested lol. Those are normal fears, especially if you are like me, and had never been out of the country before. If you need any help trying to wear him down I would be happy to share my experience with you guys. Mexico is a lot safer than we think, 2 days after surgery when we were taken to the hotel I walked to the gas station by myself, there were police all over the place doing patrols just like here in the US, so I felt safe, nobody messed with me, hell I don't think any one ever talked to me lol. Later on that night around 10:30 another patient and I walked to the startbucks together, and again no one bothered us. In all honesty you are always in the care of Dr. Q staff, Eddie picked us up front the airport, then you spend 2 nights at the surgical facility, and then they Eddie or sometimes Henry will drive you to the hotel. Everyone at the hotel was friendly. I remember having those fears of Oh man what if my dad is right, but I felt like such a fool after all was said a done because aside from all the Mexicans around me, it felt just like the good old US. Good luck to you!
  10. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    What year is this? Why must women seek permission from a man?
  11. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    Yes crime happens everywhere! but there is major difference with the way a country handles the crime and punishment. I think people have the impression that Mexico is a free for all and no one would care if you went missing.. This is not the case people!! What century do you live in where we follow husbands ORDERS! Tell him.. Dont ask him! Mexico is as safe as compton or watts or detriot or chicago.. Yes there are criminals there but there are criminals here too.. Your husband would be considered unsupportive if you ask me. Either he coughs up the money for usa self pay or he shuts his trap! Sounds like you got the loan yourself.. I would never let a man tell me what I can or cant do! Mexicans are amongst some of the nicest people ive ever met. I can hardly say that about Americans.. And yes Im American.. Half Cherokee Indian! Women need to take a stand gainst men that dont give us what we want! What are they good for then!! Lol!!! I was worried at first to go alone. But ive been to mexico several times and im more scared in parts of LA... Dont be such a damn baby.. Take care of this yourself afterall that is who made you this way! Mexico is one of the largest vacation destinations anywhere.. USA really is the place we are all trying to get away from!
  12. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    Gemini'eyes don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel (lol).

The truth is this is a major life changing event and I understand gigi's desire for support. At first I thought about not telling anyone for the fear of lack of support. We are all human and often we need our love ones there by our side holding our hands when we make such a life changing decision. No one person is an Island we all crave love and support by nature.

Now having said that, Gigi if your hubby truely wishes happiness and health for you he'll come around and be supportive. It could be that he's scared for you and that may be all it will take is greater knowledge to ease his mind. If however after reasonable education about TJ or the surgery itself and he still doesn't come around, then maybe you should revaluate how important having the surgery is to you. If you can afford to do the surgery in the USA and that would make him feel better then go for it. However, if the decision is made to not have the surgery for any reason, it should be your decision because If it is someone else who decides that for you, it will eventually make you resentful of them and you won't be pleased with yourself either.
  13. judy79
    judy79
    Newme, that name sounds familiar. Have you been on here before?
  14. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    No Judy. I just joined the group in late December after I made the decision to get the sleeve. I really didn't know about the surgery before then. All I knew was the lap band. Must have been under a rock before then (lol).
  15. judy79
    judy79
    I think most of us were under a rock lmao. I was looking into the band not knowing there was something much better. When are you having surgery?
  16. judy79
    judy79
    I just saw, 2 weeks before me. Jealous:/ I feel like March 5 will NEVER come!!! Congrats on your decision
  17. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    I'm Karen Peterson on Dr. Q facebook group. Yes, my surgery date is Feb 16th but couldn't wait to kick star.t the weight loss so I joined a gym. I'm planning on being fabulous for the summer. I'm mostly excited but some days I'm a little nervous. This is such a big step but I need a big change from what I'm doing now.
  18. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    Newme82 was the fradulent bypass patient..
  19. shyhoneybear
    shyhoneybear
    what do you do if you have complications due to the surgery after you are in the US that scares me cus i won't have the money to go back to tijuana
  20. DragonsLoard
    @shyhoneybear, You can go to your PCP or a hospital ER.
  21. Newme2013
    Newme2013
    Pondering if should change my name so as to not have a case of mistaken identity. I think I've heard of that newme and she is most definitely not me.
  22. judy79
    judy79
    lol, you are good with that name sweety. I was just asking, there is also a new_me lol. Its all good

I believe Henry said their was a Ambulance on standby in case of an emergency, but they haven't had any (from what I hear)
  23. DonnaK
    DonnaK
    I was all ready to have my sleeve done in 2010 in Texas with insurance. My now EX husband didn't want me to go through with the surgery. I should've stood up to him! I am now divorced, on disability due to an injury ( Home Health R.N.) and have no insurance at this time. I will have Medicare around Oct 2013, but I don't believe Medicare covers the sleeve as of yet. I am on a very limited income and it will be awhile before I can save up enough money to get the surgery performed, but I will do it as soon as I am able!! I was checking up on some of the surgeons at this stage and I like the reviews on Dr. Quinones in Tijuana. My credit is so bad that no one will approve a loan for me. Glad to be here!
  24. Eleanorrose
    Eleanorrose
    Along with everyone else I would like to explain my thinking. There is a HUGE business with a seperate lane going over the border, there are so many people going to have various surgeys, if the people going over for surgeries were attacked, even ONCE it would be all over the news and a mass exdous would occur, the financial fall out would be huge, so if for no other reason then financial the people who are going to have surgery are looked after very well. Most of the crimes occur at the bars, not getting surgery. At least that is how I can justify going ot Mexico alone.

I hope you get your surgery. Are you sure this is the reason, not the excuse? It is your life,not his.
  25. babie_girl28
    babie_girl28
    Gemini,
    its not about letting a man tell you what you can or can not do, its about keeping peace in your home. God forbids if something were to happen while I am there, I would never hear the end of it. Whether I agree with his thoughts about the traveling or not, I am glad that I have someone concerned about me. He doesn't even know that I was seeking weightloss surgery. He only knows that I am getting a hernia surgery as he thinks I can exercise and eat my way back to normal. I probably could but I am not disciplined enough so I know I need the surgery.

When you get married, you give up the I's for US and I wouldn't be happy if my husband made a life altering decision without my blessing. I only mentioned Mexico to him to get his thoughts about the hernia surgery. Since he was against it, there was no need to discuss weight loss surgery. While I am overweight, I don't have major health problems which is a blessing so technically the surgery is an elective surgery. ( got the hernia by lifting something heavy when I was thin) Being a self pay patient is scary enough, if anything goes wrong, it can financially ruin us. My husband had motorcycle accident two weeks after buying a motorcycle and left us with 67K in medical bills and him with bad credit because he didn't have insurance. While I have insurance, it has a weight loss exclusion so any complications would not be covered
  26. DragonsLoard
    Very well said babie_girl28
  27. Dunamys
    Dunamys
    If I were u I would buy the ticket and go alone and thats it cause no man is going to hold me down on getting the suregery even though he s doing it for your safety I will also think that his afraid that u are going to get thin and more pretty. my boyfriend told me yesterday omg r u going to leave me when u get skinny and I told me nahhh I dont have to wait to get skinny Im with u bcuz I want to ... But I told him be carefull cause im going to be getting a lot of stares juaaaaa he is soooo jeleus and afraid but hi supports me in everything. Tell your husband to go with u.
  28. babie_girl28
    babie_girl28
    husband won't go. He is more afraid of Mexico than I ever was. Some stupid documentary came on tv around the time we were talking about my hernia surgery. We watched it together and it was very frightening. I found a friend who is willing to go with me and I am secretly planning to go, getting everything lined up and at the last minute I will tell him. My friend is only telling her husband that she is going to San Diego, she isnt mentioning Mexico either. She went 2 years ago and came home very ill and had to be off work for about 2 weeks so her husband isn't fond of her going back to Mexico either. I dont like doing it this way but I need this for me. I got the loan in the amount that will cover surgery here or abroad but I would rather save that money for a mommy makeover. I am like you, I cant wait to get the stares and compliments like I used to get. Pray for me,I am going to need it.
  29. gemini*eyes
    gemini*eyes
    Good luck to you.. Why brag about the union of marriage if you are secretly going behind his back? lol.. Nice to see you came to your senses..