Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 10:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

I have been so good since I got sleeved and I have been rewarded for it by losing 44 lbs in about 10 weeks. And I am very happy about that but here is my issue. I see everyone posting about staying on a diet, no carbs, no sugar, etc . My whole purpose for getting sleeved was so I don't have to stay on a dang diet!!! So I pretty much eat what I want at this point, just in way smaller portions than in my previous life! I try to get plenty of protein but honestly, if there is something I want to eat, a bite or two isn't gonna hurt me!! And that is why I did it!! Anyone else feel like that?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes, that is what I do. I remember the horror of diets and refuse to live that way.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Yup. I think a lot of people feel that way.

However, I don't trust myself to act on that feeling. It didn't work for me pre-op (during the 62 of my 68 years that I've struggled with my weight.)

Lately, I've seen people posting here (and on other WLS boards) who are a year or more post-op who are now struggling because what and how much they "felt like eating" 10 weeks or 6 months post-op was a lot less and different from what they now "feel like eating." Their restriction is less; they can eat more. They're also now indulging in sugary foods and other sliders, which triggers the desire for more sugars / sliders. And they're gaining weight. And they are frustrated, upset, scared, etc.

So IMHO, "eating what I feel like eating" as a senior guiding principle for the rest of my life is probably not going to work out for me in the long run.

That's just my two cents' worth. Others' mileage may vary. And I always reserve the right to change my mind.

This debate of how to eat post-WLS has probably raged since WLS was invented. The ultimate test of what will work for you will be whether or not it actually works for you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Lora
    Surgery date
    08/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-12-2016 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I am eating what I want when I want, but I am also tracking my calories every day. So a little of both for me. I have spent many years eating "diet" food and I don't want to live that way any more. I will say that sleevers who are following stricter food guidelines are losing faster than me. But as many people have said, this is not a race.

I don't want to be dieting for the rest of my life. That is for sure. I lost 120 pounds on Weight Watchers seven years ago and followed the strict eating guidelines religiously. I gained it all back plus more. So, I am definitely not an expert on keeping weight off!

I am just doing what is right for me. And part of that is eating the things a like, in complete moderation.

7/29/2014: 324 lbs
    8/29/2014: 305 lbs (surgery date)
    9/29/2014: 289 lbs
    10/29/2014: 281 lbs
    11/29/2014: 271 lbs
    12/29/2014: 263 lbs
    1/29/2015: 257 lbs
    2/28/2015: 250 lbs
    3/29/2015: 246 lbs
    4/29/2015: 239 lbs
    5/29/2015: 237 lbs
    6/29/2015: 232 lbs
    7/29/2015: 227 lbs
    8/29/2015: 225 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Charles Mosse
    Last Activity
    04-19-2016 05:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

One of the reasons why I got the gastric sleeve done was a comment made by my dietitian - he said to me "you will never be able to eat enough food to get your full day's supply of nutrients". Whilst I know it's so tempting to "eat what you want" you have to consider - are you giving your body what it needs to be healthy? It has made me think about what I put in my mouth - not to say that I'm perfect or don't have the occasional thing that isn't great, I just enjoy it a lot less than I used to. This surgery, for me anyway, is about longevity and being able to mobilise when I'm older - I didn't want to be trapped in a body that couldn't do what I wanted it to do. Just my thoughts anyway. Thanks for being so honest.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

That's how I do it as well. I eat what I like, how I like it, not necessarily IMMEDIATELY when I think I want it, (or I'd be stuffing my face with crap all day). I tend to evaluate the "want" and if it's still there in a few hours or days, I may work it into my day. I've also found lots of righteous substitutes less nutritionally dense foods. Instead of a candy bar, I choose a frozen Power Crunch. Tastes like a thin mint cookie and actually has a decent amount of protein. Gives me my chocolate fix. I worked through my 95 pound weight loss this way, (not super speedily, but comfortably and without feeling like I was on a diet) and have less issues around food when nothing is truly "off limits". For me, this breaks the cycle of craving, binging, guilt, (rinse and repeat), and replaces it with a conversation closer to "how is that going to make you feel"? The restriction of the sleeve makes it impossible for me to over eat. A daily commitment to exercise has improved my metabolism and gives me a bit of calorie wiggle room for the days I decide to partake in a less nutritionally dense option. It's working so far for me and I enjoy the freedom. I tracked religiously through my loss and the first 5 months of maintenance. Trying to understand the mechanics of what worked for me. I think I "got it" now and I'm trying it a little "looser" still getting my 2 protein supplements per day, still choosing protein first 90% of the time, still exercising, but no longer recording every morsel. Hopefully that works for me. I weigh once per week and have 5 pounds of leeway in either direction before taking corrective action. If not, I'll go back to tracking.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Gastric Sleeve Member diana1965's Avatar
    Name
    Diana
    Surgery date
    03/25/2014
    Surgeon
    DR. Pinson
    Last Activity
    02-23-2018 11:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,428 Times

I have the same feelings, but understand also that I want to be healthy. I try to make good choices, but if I don't I don't panic because I know I can no longer eat enough to do much damage. I am struggling with the exercise part. I do not like to do it. I tried for a couple months making myself, but did not find anything I liked. So now I am not doing anything more than parking farther away from stuff and doing the stairs sometimes.

Name
    Candi
    Surgery date
    11/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Paul Macik
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 09:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Yup. I think a lot of people feel that way.

However, I don't trust myself to act on that feeling. It didn't work for me pre-op (during the 62 of my 68 years that I've struggled with my weight.)
    It is so good to hear someone express exactly my reasoning for not eating "everything" I ate prior to surgery. In the past diets only worked temporarily because I eventually went back to what I was doing before the latest diet. I have chosen a new lifestyle and that new lifestyle does not include the same pre-surgery food no matter how small of a quantity. I know myself and I would start out with small portions but eventually I would go back to eating more and more and then make up for it by killing myself in the gym. I don't want to go back to that roller coaster so I have changed what I eat. Nothing is on a "forbidden" list however I just choose not to eat it. I am almost one year post-op and this is the first time I feel like I am not on a diet but rather living a normal life.
    My weight at start of my 2 week pre-op diet was 232
    My weight on the morning of surgery was 221

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGSetyoufree's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    08/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Sommer
    Last Activity
    02-05-2016 11:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 77 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I think ultimately that is the goal and the best way to live long term. We need to be able to use food as nourishment without overindulging. The fastest and easiest weight loss with this surgery occurs in the first year. If you are lucky enough to not have much hunger, why not use the sleeve to it's full advantage? It won't be as easy to exert discipline and self control a year or two post op. I just bought a Ferrari, I don't want to use it to tow my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by nmgirl View Post
    I have been so good since I got sleeved and I have been rewarded for it by losing 44 lbs in about 10 weeks. And I am very happy about that but here is my issue. I see everyone posting about staying on a diet, no carbs, no sugar, etc . My whole purpose for getting sleeved was so I don't have to stay on a dang diet!!! So I pretty much eat what I want at this point, just in way smaller portions than in my previous life! I try to get plenty of protein but honestly, if there is something I want to eat, a bite or two isn't gonna hurt me!! And that is why I did it!! Anyone else feel like that?
    Stay fat, die young

4/28/14 Initial consult 401
    7/23 Begin liq diet 380
    8/7 Surgery 364
    8/18 1st post op visit 355
    9/22 2nd p/o visit 337
    10/21 3rd p/o visit 320
    11/18 4th p/o 305
    12/23 5th p/o 286
    2/3/15 6th p/o 265
    3/31 7th p/o 239
    4/28 8th p/o 229
    6/1 222
    6/30 215
    7/31 206
    8/31 204
    9/30 198
    10/31 194
    11/30 189
    12/30 187

Surgery date
    09/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-31-2015 10:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

I think I am using it to the fullest advantage. I am losing weight like crazy and I eat a fairly healthy diet. Try to get my protein in. BUT, I didn't go thru all of this to be on a diet. I did so that I wouldn't be able to eat very much and then I would lose weight. I have been on a hundred diets and I am sick of them. So I will let myself have a treat from time to time and will eat whatever one else is eating, just a lot smaller portion!

Name
    Jane
    Surgery date
    09/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    11-14-2015 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,201 Times
    Blog Entries

I am with Roxanne on how I think about this and how I have chosen to eat. We cannot get all of our nutritional needs met through the amount we can eat post surgery. I do track what I eat paying close attention to protein and potassium. I do not view it as a "diet" as I have a lot of freedom in what I eat. My biggest temptation is the candy basket at work because I have to pass it every time I leave my office.

Ultimately, we each have to settle on what works for us and, as long as we are healthy and meeting our goals, it is what works for us. I know it is too easy for me to slide around once I eat sugar and so I have chosen to eliminate it from my diet.

Name
    Penny
    Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Boone
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

For me, the point of this surgery was to change my life. In order to change my life/health, I do need to watch what I eat. I do need to be accountable. I do need to stay away from foods too high in sugar and fat. If I don't, I don't feel that I am changing much if I just eat what/when I want. I think that is continuing in a path that will lead me back to obesity, and poor health. So, while my diet has opened up, there will be things I won't eat. I have trigger foods...baked goods, sweets, candy, etc...I look at my overeating the same way I do my alcoholism...I can't just have one drink. Well the same is true where my trigger foods are concerned. I have eaten scones, muffins, cookies, a cupcake, and a piece of cake within the last few weeks. I didn't have one as a special treat for a special occasion. I had one of whatever whenever I wanted. So, I've concluded that eating whatever/whenever isn't a healthy option for me. If you guys can eat whatever/whenever without gaining weight back, and feeling okay with yourself for doing so - it isn't a problem for you. The strict guidelines are set-up for health reasons, not for us to feel deprived.