Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

jenielg

surgery approaching....concerned about nausea

Rate this Entry
Good morning all! im having the sleeve on june 30th. im concerned about nausea, is there anything to prevent this, if not any recommendations on treatment for nausea. thank you!

Submit "surgery approaching....concerned about nausea" to Digg Submit "surgery approaching....concerned about nausea" to del.icio.us Submit "surgery approaching....concerned about nausea" to StumbleUpon Submit "surgery approaching....concerned about nausea" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My surg gave us the patch upon admittance and then a one week script for Zophran. I didn't need it. Many do have nausea (seems more so with RNY). Ask at your next appt what you center does. They will manage your nausea in the hospital...it's out of hospital you need to have a plan.
    They gave me a patch to put behind my ear and a script to take as needed. I took it for the first week and now I have no problems.
    thank you for the info ill need to look into the patch
    Thank you! I think im more concerned about that then the actual surgery
    I'm with you on the nausea!! Pain meds do a number on me so I asked my surgeon about the patch. I don't want to be sick after having surgery. I will be having surgery in July (date to follow soon hopefully). Will keep you in my prayers
    The patch is Scopalamine, btw.

The pain drugs afterwards can make you super nauseated AND constipated. I know I can't take opioids for those reasons. I had a lidocaine pump for post op pain....I practically had no pain at all.
    I understand the concern about nausea. It was bad enough for me that they kept me an extra night in the hospital.

My surgery was about 3:30pm, and I recall waking up in recovery sometime after 7pm. That first night in the hospital was a very rough night. I was extremely nauseated, and was throwing up (mostly dry heaves, since there was not much in me) all night and part of the next morning. Lying in bed, sitting up, walking around -- everything triggered severe nausea. I was given anti-nausea medication by IV, and it helped a lot -- but I had to keep asking for it. I also had the patch behind the ear. About 24 hours after waking up in recovery, I finally started feeling better and the severe nausea had worn off. My second night in the hospital, I had a much better night and finally got some sleep, which made me feel like healing was happening. I believe that most of my nausea was caused by a strong reaction to general anesthesia (even local anesthesia makes me vomit pretty bad, so this makes sense to me). If you have experience with and/or good tolerance of general anesthesia, then YMMV and you may have a much easier first night/day of recovery.

The following morning (so, Friday morning, with my surgery on the Wednesday before), I was approved for discharge (which took most of the day to process). I pushed hard for anti-nausea meds -- to me, these were far more important than the anti-pain meds -- and was given a bottle of Zofran to take home (along with some Oxy for pain and Prilosec for indigestion). I anticipated needing the Zofran all the time. As it turned out, I've been home for 2 nights and haven't even opened the bottle. I also haven't taken the pain meds except a little at night to help me sleep. So, I am 4 days out from surgery which included a rough first post-op night of constant vomiting/nausea, I am med free, and feeling fine.

Bottom line is that yes, for some of us, the post-op nausea can be really bad for a bit, but thankfully it passes pretty quickly (about a day) and then it's smooth sailing.

Good luck with your sleeve!
    If you have any questions please talk them over with your doctor thats why hes there
    Good luck on your surgery!! My doctor is Dr. Felix also. By now you should have received your patch, correct? I had nausea the day after surgery even with the patch but it was gone by day 2. I stooped the pain meds after the 3rd day. Everyone reacts differently though. Keep us posted on your journey.
    I was never nauseous, never threw up, and it's been almost 3 years since surgery. So don't worry about something that may not even happen.
    I am 11 days post-surgery. I took nausea medicine in the hospital and they sent me home with a prescription but I never needed it. As for pain meds, I also had the internal pain meds that kept my stomach numb for the first 5 days. So my only pain was from the hiatal hernia that had to be repaired and a couple of days of pain meds at home conquered that. The day after the numbing stuff was done was rough but quickly passed. The living on liquid only part is way harder than the pain or nausea part! I am counting the seconds until I can eat something again! Good luck!
    Thank you for posting such great detail about your journey. My surgery is set for Aug 4th and I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseSleeveMe
    I understand the concern about nausea. It was bad enough for me that they kept me an extra night in the hospital.

My surgery was about 3:30pm, and I recall waking up in recovery sometime after 7pm. That first night in the hospital was a very rough night. I was extremely nauseated, and was throwing up (mostly dry heaves, since there was not much in me) all night and part of the next morning. Lying in bed, sitting up, walking around -- everything triggered severe nausea. I was given anti-nausea medication by IV, and it helped a lot -- but I had to keep asking for it. I also had the patch behind the ear. About 24 hours after waking up in recovery, I finally started feeling better and the severe nausea had worn off. My second night in the hospital, I had a much better night and finally got some sleep, which made me feel like healing was happening. I believe that most of my nausea was caused by a strong reaction to general anesthesia (even local anesthesia makes me vomit pretty bad, so this makes sense to me). If you have experience with and/or good tolerance of general anesthesia, then YMMV and you may have a much easier first night/day of recovery.

The following morning (so, Friday morning, with my surgery on the Wednesday before), I was approved for discharge (which took most of the day to process). I pushed hard for anti-nausea meds -- to me, these were far more important than the anti-pain meds -- and was given a bottle of Zofran to take home (along with some Oxy for pain and Prilosec for indigestion). I anticipated needing the Zofran all the time. As it turned out, I've been home for 2 nights and haven't even opened the bottle. I also haven't taken the pain meds except a little at night to help me sleep. So, I am 4 days out from surgery which included a rough first post-op night of constant vomiting/nausea, I am med free, and feeling fine.

Bottom line is that yes, for some of us, the post-op nausea can be really bad for a bit, but thankfully it passes pretty quickly (about a day) and then it's smooth sailing.

Good luck with your sleeve!