Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Kardani9

My Life 3 Years Post Op

Rate this Entry
It's so hard to believe it's been 3 years! I'm at the point that I take for granted that my sleeve is going to always save me from myself - even though I am aware it truly is a tool and not the total salvation from fat that I thought it once was. I lost down to a size 12 and then went to a comfortable, happy 14. And have stayed there through no huge effort of my own. I no longer stress over my size. Very comfortable in my own skin!
I often forget that I have even had the sleeve done and there are times I have purposely overate to test it! Lol! Nope, still there. Can only eat half a hamburger if going out for a treat. Good choices in food remain a must. I try to stay way from the carbs, treating myself to the occasional treat. Thank heavens I'm definitely a carnivore.
I have NOT stepped in a scale since.. I can't even remember when! I no longer get the weight loss compliments. I just get the, "What are you doing to look younger?" compliments. Which is awesome at 47! Here I was scared that when my fat left, I'd wrinkle up like a deflated balloon!
My husband is still doing awesome with his sleeve. He is now 4 years out and actually continues to steadily lose weight. (yes, I'm a little jealous! Haha - how in the world?!)
We are preparing to take our 22 year-old daughter to have the surgery soon. I am excited for her! She will be using a different doctor, Dr Louisiana Valenzuela in TJ if anyone has any info about her. She wants to go with a lady surgeon and as an adult is making her own choices. But she better believe her old nurse mama will be there watching the hospital staff like a HAWK! I'm a little disappointed as I wanted to see Dr. Rod again and trust him completely. He is awesome!
So in summary, I am still loving living my life, enjoying not stressing over food and calories (though I am a foodie) and enjoying being active (though I never did commit to an actual, dedicated work out regime :P ) I wish all of you success and inspiration!
PS: I DID buy an elliptical and am convinced that Norditrack is another name for Satan. I will continue walking and hiking for FUN in actual nature, thank you very much.

Submit "My Life 3 Years Post Op" to Digg Submit "My Life 3 Years Post Op" to del.icio.us Submit "My Life 3 Years Post Op" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Life 3 Years Post Op" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

HAPPY THREE YEARS. WONDERFUL THAT YOU FOUND YOUR COMFORT ZONE, MAKES IT SO MUCH MORE FUN.
    Thanks for the post. Thrilled that things are so easy and "normal" for you. I'm two years out and feel the same way. Hoping I can keep it up like you have. Good luck to your daughter.
    PS. Nice cows mooooo
    I will be two years out in April. After that first year time goes by fast. By year 1 I was wearing a 14/16...still wear a 16 but I have only lost 60 lbs I really need to loose 40 more. How can I get there, everyone says do the 5 day pouch to kick start, I don't seem to be loosing any weight at all any more. I forget it is there. Help Help Help....14 would be a great size for me again have not worn that since the 90s
    What a wonderful, wonderful post. So happy that your sleeve continues to be the wonderful tool it is and that you are using it so very well.

Congratulations to your entire family.
    this was a great post to read. my surgery is march 1, and I have been worried about future complications/regrets, but this gave me comfort. thank you and congrats!
    Thank you all! I had wondered about life long term after the sleeve, as well. That's why when I was researching on behalf of my daughter, I decided to pop in and let people know my side of it
    Senorita Lolita, there has been a time or two (like when I eased back into that 14) that I thought about doing a pouch test, I have also thought about begging for an Adipex or two from a friend in an attempt to "jump start" my weight loss again. But then I remembered that when I had the surgery, I swore to myself no more yo-yo dieting. It was very necessary for me to just be happy and confident. I have never considered a 14 or even a 16 fat. (I grew up with a large... uhm... LARGE family ) Now, if I'm feeling fluffy or see that my BP is starting to get high, I tighten up on the carb intact and try to be more active. I know - really KNOW that if I joined a gym and starting a dedicated workout a few times a week, I would start losing again. However, it seems as busy as my life is, that I'm probably lazier than I think or just have an aversion to pain and sweat.
    I should also add that I've been at this 14 for nearly two years now. A year post op, it was discovered after excruciating pain in my upper back, both arms and neck, that I have a bone spur in my spine. I had to take LOADS of steroids and THAT is why I gained back. I was poking in the calories every two hours or so! EVERYTHING was delicious! I have no trouble at all maintaining now that I am off of them.
    AWW THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE IT!! I get my sleeve on the 26th and I CANNOT WAIT!!! TO JUST LIVE HEALTHY AND BE HAPPY!! You guys are adorable!! Long live happiness and HEALTH!
    Congrats to you and hubby!
    Kardani9, I have a friend that had bypass and dropped from size 24 to a size 4. She eventually creeped back to a 10 and that's where she's been happily maintaining for several years. I think you nailed it by showing that having a "normal" happy life is more important that the numbers on the tag of your jeans. Again, congrats!