Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Davis165

Other ways to get in protein post-op?

Rate this Entry
I'm am not a fan, at all, of protein shakes! Before my surgery, on the pre-op diet, I just chugged them down. Now I can't do that and they make me gag! I find myself just not eating or drinking in this case. (I am getting enough fluids just not protein.) I know that this is unacceptable, but I just can't do it. Ugh!! Any suggestions and or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Submit "Other ways to get in protein post-op?" to Digg Submit "Other ways to get in protein post-op?" to del.icio.us Submit "Other ways to get in protein post-op?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Other ways to get in protein post-op?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hmmm. Well I'm straining out my soups and drinking the liquids. We had chili at my house and made it extra saucy so I could sip on that - yum! My yoplait Greek yogurts are super tasty and have 10-15 grams of protein depending on the flavor. I'm not sure how far out you are. I had my surgery Sept 22 and I'm on liquids until I see my surgeon and nutritionist on Wednesday the 7th. I also like drinking tomato soup. I don't like cottage cheese unless it has flavor to it like orange jello powder like I'd make for orange salad so that's what I'll do during the soft food stage that's next. Eggs, etc.

Good luck!
    What kind of shakes are you trying? A lot of the milkshake-type can be too thick or too sweet or just plain taste like shit. There are dozens out there and the palatability is extremely variable. Nashua nutrition has tons of different samples to try and you can get individual packets in a lot of health food stores or from manufacturer's websites. In any case, here are some of the things I did....

Dilute RTD drinks with milk or water. Premier protein chocolate + 8oz milk tastes like chocolate milk. I also used premier vanilla as creamer in my coffee and tea.

I used twice as much liquid as the powders called for to cut the thickness and sweetness. I could never drink them using the 8oz most of them call for.

Add Torani syrups for flavor variety

Syntrax nectar is more of a koolaid-type drink and offers many different flavors, not just the same old vanilla/chocolate/strawberry options. Isopure is similar, but I thought they tasted gross.

I added Unjury unflavored protein powder to every broth and cream soup I could find. Any soups with chunks I just diluted, pureed and strained.....tomato, Tuscan chicken broth, lobster bisque, cream of asparagus, portobello mushroom, broccoli cheddar, hot and sour, wonton, beef broth, French onion, potato leek, beef barley, clam chowder, etc. the key is to add a bit of water to the powder first to make a slurry. Heat the soup to 140 degrees and then add the slurry. This helps eliminate clumps. Since I ate so slow I had to keep reheating the soup, but it was a great break from all the sweet shakes.

I used protein powders to flavor plain Greek yogurt. This added even more protein without all the carbs that you find in presweetened yogurts. Torani syrups are good flavor enhancers, too.

Muscle Milk cake batter protein + cottage cheese tastes just like cheesecake.

Use your imagination and you'll find all kinds of ways to get in more protein.
    I can't stand protein shakes either! I probably don't get enough protein either, but here's how I try. II still drink coffee and cream in the morning. And not that decaffeinated yuck. I put in a scoop of unflavored whey powder (unjury brand) in to my coffee. I believe that is 25 g protein. I eat a Greek yogurt after I get to work for breakfast, that's 10 more grams. I have been buying those cheap frozen burrito s that come in a 10 pack in the freezer for lunch. I eat most of one burrito for lunch, or those pre packaged chicken of the sea cracker and tuna packs. They give you another 10 grams. And for snack cottage cheese for my last 10 grams before dinner. I know I should get more protein in. I have considered unflavored protein at night with sugarless hot chocolate but haven't yet. The unflavored whey is what has worked for me
    Search Google for unjury protein powder and you will find it. Good luck on your journey.
    Thank you all SO very much!! This information is a godsend! I will be putting these tips to use. @ Kindle, I am, sadly, devoid of culinary imagination Thank God for each of you, though!!: )
    I just discovered a product called Genepro. It is 30 grams of unflavored protein in a tablespoon so it will easily mix into anything you are drinking. Amazon sells it.
    Torani syrups are a good flavor enhancer. Most grocery stores sell them and they're near the coffee. I get the sugar free ones (carmel and French vanilla). Chocolate protein powder, water or milk, some carmel syrup and peanutbutter...yummy tastes like a snickers bar.

If you can have fruit, maybe blend blueberries into a vanilla shake
    Yes, I just bought one of those sugar free syrups. I'm going to try to make protein popsicles. Every little bit helps! The protein shakes and powder I use are muscle milk and isopure unflavored powder. It taste like milk..which I hate. I.bought some soups and will puree the heck out of them. I'll talk to my nutritionist about the genpro. Thanks for that tip, mtngrl!
    Thanks everyone for the help
    You can also try Isopure... totally liquid whey protein, not a shake. Various flavors. You can order online if a nearby store does not carry them.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search?...typeahead=yes#

or

http://www.theisopurecompany.com/products/powders.html
    I'm on full liquids right now and I have fallen in love with Panera Bread's Black Bean Soup. I order a bowl, take it home, use my nutribullet to purée it smooth and it is SO GOOD. It has quite a bit of protein and really good nutrition facts overall. If you use My Fitness Pal you can look it up on there for facts. I could put the unflavored protein in there for even more punch.
    As soon as you get beyond just liquids, some good protein food is greek yogurt, egg whites/hard boiled eggs, turkey jerky, fish/shashimi, hummus, cheese/cheese sticks, deli meat, SF pudding made with milk...hope this helps