Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Tiredofsitting

Meds for High Blood pressure, cholesterol etc

Rate this Entry
I hear many say they no longer need their meds after surgery, how is that determined, since the excess weight is what makes the meds necessary to begin with....and this happens within weeks even days?

I am in the beginning stage of this journey and trying to get all of the information before hand.

Submit "Meds for High Blood pressure, cholesterol etc" to Digg Submit "Meds for High Blood pressure, cholesterol etc" to del.icio.us Submit "Meds for High Blood pressure, cholesterol etc" to StumbleUpon Submit "Meds for High Blood pressure, cholesterol etc" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You should be monitored by a PCP and he/she will increase/decrease your medications accordingly. My blood pressure meds were increased, although my #'s were great. I am taking blood pressure meds for kidney function.
    My doctor agreed to try to drop my cholesterol meds 3 months after surgery. My cholesterol went sky high again, so I'm back on my meds. It's in my family. My dad died of heart disease at 60 weighing about 140 with a perfect diet. It's not always what you eat. And the sleeve won't always take away all your meds.
    Thank you both, just curious as I keep seeing that people are off the meds almost immediately and I wondered how that could be if being overweight is the reason for the medical problems. You don't lost that much to be off meds immediately.
    I think doctors find it convenient to blame being overweight as the cause of any medical issue. Often it's not. Besides my cholesterol, I can't sleep. I had a sleep study and my only recommendation was to lose weight. I lost all my weight. I still can't sleep. So basically any meds I was on when I was fat, I am on when I am regular-sized.
    I'm off metformin, blood pressure med, and rapid heart rate med since surgery. I'm watching everything of course but so far, so good. I email my blood sugar numbers to my endocrinologist and he said all looks good! I need to check my blood pressure but the few times it's been checked it's been normal. I don't know how it all happened so fast but I'm not complaining!
    Good luck!
    They took me off my blood pressure meds while in the hospital. In fact, while there my bp was very low. Since then, six weeks now, my bp has been normal! Yay, no more meds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Icandoit
    I'm off metformin, blood pressure med, and rapid heart rate med since surgery. I'm watching everything of course but so far, so good. I email my blood sugar numbers to my endocrinologist and he said all looks good! I need to check my blood pressure but the few times it's been checked it's been normal. I don't know how it all happened so fast but I'm not complaining!
    Good luck!
    This is what I had heard and I wondered how this could happen so quickly or does the surgeon just automatically take you off these meds? Could you take them right after surgery if you needed them?
    As others have mentioned, work closely with your PCP. That said, with the exception of mutlivitamins with iron and testosterone gel, I am no longer on Lipitor, Nexium, BP meds, Enbrel, or any other medications. My blood pressure prior to surgery was 155/121. Now it is 105/60. Good luck.
    Mich-D how did you get off the Nexium. That is a tough one as you body has a hard time adjusting without it.
    Prior to VSG, I was on Metoprolol, Lisinopril, and Furosemide (Lasix). My surgery discharge post-op instructions (and I confirmed) was to discontinue the Lisinopril and the Furosemide. I am a little concerned about that, and monitoring my BP frequently. -RC-
    my doctor took me off high blood pressure meds in the hospital and kept me off of them..after 8 years of being on them..she said it was because i would be loosing weight consistantly and being on them would keep my blood pressure unstable..pretty cool
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGavu
    Mich-D how did you get off the Nexium. That is a tough one as you body has a hard time adjusting without it.
    I was on Nexium for roughly 10 years and it was just as much of a surprise to me, my surgeon, and my PCP that I no longer needed it after surgery. However, I think the real reason was that I embraced this as a lifestyle change and no longer use ketchup, a1, OJ, Fried foods, pizza sauce, and carbonated beverages. I have not had any flare ups. Prior to surgery even chocolate would cause me to have reflux for 2-3 days. I allow myself a small sized York peppermint patty twice a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiredofsitting
    This is what I had heard and I wondered how this could happen so quickly or does the surgeon just automatically take you off these meds? Could you take them right after surgery if you needed them?
    The surgeon took me off the Metformin and Lisinopril. He wanted to defer to the cardiologist on the metoprolol so I took it once or twice in the hospital but my pulse was low so I stopped taking it.
    Thanks all, I just want to be armed with info.