Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

31startingBMI

Sorry about my mean blog post about Mexico doctors...I was an idiot for using the word idiot...

Rate this Entry
Whoa, I had no idea my post would cause such controversy. I apologize for my harsh words. I no doubt could have said things better. I just read about another patients bad outcome, she wrote to me before she had surgery, I told her that I thought that she should reconsider her choice (I was nice) because he does a lot of surgeries in one day. She is very sick in the hospital and not sure at times that she was going to make it out alive, she is not out of the woods yet. Her Mexico doctor has not replied to her many requests for help and at this point she is just trying to survive. She is a single mom like me so this is extra frightening for her. Her job is jepardy, her mom is now taking care of her daughter, her bills are stacking up.

I was clearly over emotional and took out my frustration on this blog. I am very sorry. I really feel bad for my friend that I never met. She was so excited to get this surgery that she did not think things through. I feel so bad for her, she is having major regret. She is a good person and no one should go through what she has.She went to the "one" Mexico doctor that is known to do up to 10 surgeries a day, day after day. Think about it, if you worked seven days a week, week after week like this doctor does and performs up to 10 surgeries a day, no days off...that guy has got to be tired and not his best even if he is great at what he does. I am not doubting that he knows what he is doing, I'm just critical of the fact that he does so many surgeries in a day without any days off. I want my surgeon rested!

I'm not even advocating that people go to my doctor...he was exceptional but find someone who is not herding you in and out of surgery like cattle. I have nothing against Mexico doctors, I chose a Mexico doctor and he was a budget choice compared to US doctors. I could not have had better care! Most surgeons if they do book up a day full of surgeries, don't do that many day after day after day. They have office days and surgery days. Please don't pick a surgeon because of price...there are plenty of budget surgeons out there who don't do as many surgeries a day and will treat you like a human.

Submit "Sorry about my mean blog post about Mexico doctors...I was an idiot for using the word idiot..." to Digg Submit "Sorry about my mean blog post about Mexico doctors...I was an idiot for using the word idiot..." to del.icio.us Submit "Sorry about my mean blog post about Mexico doctors...I was an idiot for using the word idiot..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Sorry about my mean blog post about Mexico doctors...I was an idiot for using the word idiot..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So very sorry to hear about your friend's condition, can't imagine how frightened she must be, and now I understand your rant.....you are afraid for her and honestly it could be anyone of us...this is not something that any of us take lightly. Thank you for explaining your position.....I will say prayers that she will be ok.....and as for losing her job.....she should check with her state government, I am pretty sure you cannot be fired for a medical condition.
    Please don't feel bad.
    Passion can consume judgement at times. My mother-in-law is a retired ER nurse and she has told me more than once that even the worst medical school graduate is called doctor. Knowing that, in addition to my own negative experiences with doctors in the US, I tend to research things more than most including reading published articles. In the past I picked a doctor's office near work and suffered needlessly as a result. I learned from that experience.

That said it has to be on the consumer/patient to truly investigate something far more important than buying a house, choosing a pre-school, or voting for president.

As I mentioned in another post, the sheer volume of surgeries per day can be a misnomer as the surgeon may have a team of residents actually doing most of the work. That to me would be more of a concern and is one of the reasons I stay away from teaching hospitals.

For some, there is comfort in a surgeon who is machine-like. Personally, I researched WLS for six months and interviewed three different surgeons at different hospitals. I was fortunate in finding the right surgeon for me here in Michigan. By the way, my surgey was 3-4 hours in length. Now this could have been because of my starting BMi of 58.8. My surgeon would not have been able to have performed more than a few surgeries in a day. Personally, I prefer to be treated as an individual or educated patient. However, I have no qualms if someone selects a different pathway to achieve their weight loss goals.

I have no issues with people selecting surgeons in other countries. Most of those places have to being doing things at high levels just to compete. That said, I opted for a Baricatrics COE caliber surgeon and medical team. It has been 15 months now since my surgery and I really am very happy for my decision as I felt very well prepared by them for success. One of the things I have learned from this site and from my own conversations from other WLS patients is that not every US hospital and Baricatrics surgeon is the same.

For those of you on the fence about surgery regardless of where; research, ask questions, talk with former patients, check complication rates, ask about pre-op requirements, and post-op care.
    One rule of thumb everyone should follow when texting, tweeting, FB, IG, blogging or commenting is, if you are outraged or angry wait a half hour or more before you send something out into world wide web that can potentially wreak havoc on your life. We see constant reminders in the news about people that act before they think and regret it later. Once it's out there, you can't take it back. It's okay to have an opinion, but no matter what the subject, personal attacks are never okay. We should all conduct ourselves like adults.
    Who is this doctor you all are talking about? Is it Dr. A?
    I too would have been scared of a doctor in Mexico, I just would have said it in a nicer way. But we're all nice, so you're forgiven! And if you love your doctor from Mexico, that's great too!
    Thank you for your apology and detailed explanation. It shows great character and humility. All good! As they say in Jamaica...RESPECT. (Means I hear and see you, we may be different, and Its all good friend...One Love.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terps
    Thank you for your apology and detailed explanation. It shows great character and humility. All good! As they say in Jamaica...RESPECT. (Means I hear and see you, we may be different, and Its all good friend...One Love.)
    A get some Bob Marley/Reggae vibes from your reply ("...As they say in Jamaica"..."One Love....").

One love, one heart
    Let's get together and feel all right

-Bob Marley
    Ya mon, everyting irie. Bob Marley is one of my favorite philosophers...right up there with Jimmy Buffett and Steven Tyler. Wisdom from the islands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa
    A get some Bob Marley/Reggae vibes from your reply ("...As they say in Jamaica"..."One Love....").

One love, one heart
    Let's get together and feel all right

-Bob Marley
    Quote Originally Posted by Terps
    Ya mon, everyting irie. Bob Marley is one of my favorite philosophers...right up there with Jimmy Buffett and Steven Tyler. Wisdom from the islands!!!
    Then I am suprised you did not say to the OP:

"Don't worry about a thing,
    'Cause every little thing gonna be alright"