Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

luchaheel

Bored.

Rate this Entry
Heads up before I begin; this might sound negative. Please don't take it that way. I'm just sharing this stage of my journey and I have 0 regrets as far as the procedure.

I'm bored being post op. The classes to teach about the procedure were exciting. The pre-op liquid diet was new and stimulating. The hospitol visit was scary and stirring. Returning back to normal life was fun, and seeing my belt loosen to the point I had to retire it was motivating. But now...weighing daily has taken it's toll. Gym visits 5 days a week have made the strength advances and cardio improvements almost expected and no longer surprising.

It's natural to me now. There's no more being scared of overeating, I've done it and experienced it. Honestly, it was uneventful. I didn't get the "elephant on the chest" feeling. Just a slight discomfort to say "ok, that's your limit". I haven't approached that amount again.

I've had sugar. Hell, no use lying about it. I totally ate a Take 5. 200 empty calories. I didn't spontaneously combust or projectile vomit. I also found no pleasure in it. If anything, it just made me feel crappy that I'd cheated myself.

So for now, it's just eating alot of chicken and turkey in different forms, and ALOT of decaf tea between meals. Some decaf coffee, some hamburgers without the bun. Very little veggies and very little fruits. No breads and no complex carbs.

I'm officially bored. Which means this isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle of which I've grown accustomed. Yes...that's the goal. It's what I've wanted for years. It's the reason I made the decision to even have the procedure.

But now I just find myself looking for milestones in the diet program. I couldn't wait until I was allowed veggies a month ago. Know how many times I actually ate veggies? Very little. Couldn't wait for fruits...OMG FRUITS! I got fruits back 4 days ago and ate a little melon one day. That was it. The milestones are just mile markers but dont change my overall diet. Now legumes are my next milestone and that one might be a problem because I'm a bonafied nut....maniac (HAHA YOU THOUGHT I WAS GONNA SAAAAAAAY IT BUT I DIIIIIIIIDN'T).

Anyway, if I wasn't restricted by the sleeve, a bag of pistacios, or almonds, or peanuts or...nuts in general would not survive a night around me. I had Naturebox AND Graze sending me nuts on a regular basis. And I'm not trying to rely on the sleeve. I'm trying to let the sleeve back me up but not be the first line of defense. So no nuts in my house until I earn more trust from myself.

By the way, I bought some Sobe Lifewater Fuji Apple Pear. Says "0 Calories" huge on the front, but when you read the label theres 21g of carbs a bottle. DAMN. Still drank it. Won't buy it again.

Submit "Bored." to Digg Submit "Bored." to del.icio.us Submit "Bored." to StumbleUpon Submit "Bored." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I get it. I'm going into my 3rd month. Started the process last june. So every month I had a goal and ever since surgery I have my nsv's and dropped size etc. But once I get to my goal weight all those monthly exciting moments will be gone. My excercise and eating will be routine. It is ultimately what I want but I can certainly see it being boring.
    I think when I get to that point I'll get excited about getting dressed, buying clothes, going to the beach etc. I'll the things I have dreaded. You can still push yourself and set goals. You are doing great!
    We were sleeved the same day. That's pretty cool.

And boring in a good way. Diets are fun and new and exciting and, most importantly, feel temporary. This doesn't give me those feelings. It's already feeling familiar...routine...permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydensmomma
    I get it. I'm going into my 3rd month. Started the process last june. So every month I had a goal and ever since surgery I have my nsv's and dropped size etc. But once I get to my goal weight all those monthly exciting moments will be gone. My excercise and eating will be routine. It is ultimately what I want but I can certainly see it being boring.
    I think when I get to that point I'll get excited about getting dressed, buying clothes, going to the beach etc. I'll the things I have dreaded. You can still push yourself and set goals. You are doing great!
    I agree that the stage you're in now is pretty boring, as far as food goes. Food gets more interesting down the line--when you can eat more veggies and fruits and whole grains. I encourage you to (gently) try to eat more veggies as time goes by--colored veggies like beans of all kinds, tomatoes, broccoli, squash, onions, carrots, and all the others. It's just good basic nutrition to eat at least 5 veggies and fruits a day. I can now do that (at 6 months, 2 weeks) if I plan my meals well. So look forward to the days when you can eat more nutritiously that way.

Yesterday, I had a Halo mandarin, half an apple (with 1 ounce of cheese) and black beans and tomatoes (cooked in homemade chili, which I had for both lunch and dinner).

But back to boredom .... IMHO boredom is a state of mind we can over-indulge in when we aren't being mindful in our daily lives. For instance, you can hang with a dog ... or you can be fully present with the dog. Try doing it both ways. The dog can tell the difference, and it will be obvious that the dog can tell the difference. It's an interesting way to live.

Try walking a block on automatic. Then turn around and walk back, being as aware as you can of everything in that block. When you see someone you care about, turn all your attention to them, look at them, listen to them, feel the love you have for them.

Those differences can change our lives.

(Can you tell I'm preaching to myself? )
    Ann mentioned, in another post a while back, about the importance of eating carbs and the dreadful condition you can get from not doing so. Maybe she'll post the name of that condition here for us. It is important to eat a variety of things. Maybe it's your diet that's boring you. Maybe try some creative cooking!
    It's called post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia.

It happens to a small percentage of VSG patients, but I didn't want to risk it for myself.

Others' opinions about the dangers of this may vary. But it's still worth educating yourself about.