Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Kerrykitten

Five week consultant check up today - Newbies please read :o)

Rate this Entry
Well it's almost six weeks since my sleeve eek(!) and I have my first post operative review with my surgeon and dietician today. Hoping they will be pleased with me!
Facts so far:
1. I can now sleep normally , just, without having to be sat up.
2. I am virtually discomfort free at the surgical site.
3. I can bend over when seated comfortably.
4. I can eat a whole pancake, almost a jacket Potatoe, cheese, beans, cereal, porridge, protein bars, banana, cottage cheese, ritz, yogurt, my own blitzed berries with almond milk and protein powder, coffee, hot chocolate, lasagne, spaghetti bolognase, tuna and mayo.
5. I am quite burpy after I've eaten, and also can get the hiccups! I also gurgle a bit when food goes down.
6. I carry a water bottle EVERYWHERE and usually manage a litre a day.
7. I can get that "ouch" feeling when I swallow if I've not chewed enough or if it's too dry.
8. Some makes of protein drinks can make me need to get to the loo FAST and go straight through me. Not nice (.
9. I am trying not to be scared of foods.
When I first had my sleeve done I doubted my decision as it seemed such a tough journey. I am now almost six weeks done and each day gets a bit easier.
So don't despair when you have off days.
Since surgery I have lost 21lbs and I am very happy with that ) xx

Submit "Five week consultant check up today - Newbies please read :o)" to Digg Submit "Five week consultant check up today - Newbies please read :o)" to del.icio.us Submit "Five week consultant check up today - Newbies please read :o)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Five week consultant check up today - Newbies please read :o)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Kerry, you don't say how much of those foods you listed above you're eating. Many of those foods (pancakes, pastas, potatoes, bananas, ritz crackers) are carb-heavy and slider foods.

If you are eating a lot of those foods you are leaving no room for the protein-rich foods your body requires to heal itself and to meet your surgeon's protein requirements (60-80 grams of protein).

All surgeons' instructions I'm familiar with say: (1) eat your required protein first; (2) then if you still have room eat green/colored veggies; (3) then when you have room eat fruits; (4) then if you have room eat whole grains.

I wish you all the best in the world on your WLS journey.
    Hi Ann, thanks for your post.
    My normal day has been as follows:
    Breakfast - half portion of porridge with milk
    Mid morning - a couple of crackers or half a protein bar
    Lunch - one scrambled egg with tiny amount of grated cheese
    Mid afternoon - half an avocado
    Tea - two tablespoons of family's evening meal
    Before bed - one protein shake (30gms protein)
    Plus sipping fluids throughout the day!
    My aim was to advise of the types of normal foods I am able to consume since surgery, not to promote a daily list of what should be eaten regularly, hahaha!!!x
    P.s. What is a "slider food"? Xx
    Thanks for the info, Kerry. Sounds good, as long as you're getting in 60-80 grams of protein each day.

Slider foods are highly processed foods that dissolve easily in your stomach and "slide" right on down through your pyloric valve into your intestine, leaving the stomach empty faster. Proteins do NOT slide right through, but stay there in your tummy since they require a lot more digestion to get through the valve. That's one reason our surgeons' eating Rx says: "Eat protein first." Protein keeps us satisfied much longer. This should be a lifelong behavioral change for us.

Typical slider foods are: crackers, pastas, chips, white breads, white rice, anything made with white flour, ice cream, cookies, candies, other desserts.

WLS science experiment: Fill 2 clear glasses with 8 ounces of water. In one glass put 2 ounces of chicken. In the other put 2 ounces of Ritz crackers. Come back 15 minutes later and observe what's happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Thanks for the info, Kerry. Sounds good, as long as you're getting in 60-80 grams of protein each day.

Slider foods are highly processed foods that dissolve easily in your stomach and "slide" right on down through your pyloric valve into your intestine, leaving the stomach empty faster. Proteins do NOT slide right through, but stay there in your tummy since they require a lot more digestion to get through the valve. That's one reason our surgeons' eating Rx says: "Eat protein first." Protein keeps us satisfied much longer. This should be a lifelong behavioral change for us.

Typical slider foods are: crackers, pastas, chips, white breads, white rice, anything made with white flour, ice cream, cookies, candies, other desserts.

WLS science experiment: Fill 2 clear glasses with 8 ounces of water. In one glass put 2 ounces of chicken. In the other put 2 ounces of Ritz crackers. Come back 15 minutes later and observe what's happened.

I like science experiments. Thanks "Mrs. Wizard".
    Another neat one is to take a heavily oxidized penny and put it in a cup with Coca Cola in it. I did that as a kid many years ago; it won't take many days before it will be sparkly clean -no wonder why they ask us to drink mostly plain water.
    you guys, it's a great meat tenderizer too. \Put a piece of meat in a bowl with coke and see.