Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

cathbas

any tips?

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Skibabe View Post
Gidday! I'm in NZ :-)

I found I really struggled on the pre-op diet, and slipped up a few times. Somehow two bottles of wine and a final (admittedly delicious!) pizza snuck in at the last moment... :-) Beware the "food funeral" feeling. You will get to a point (for me, it was three months post op), where you can eat anything, including pizza. It then requires a bit of self-regulation so that you don't fall back into bad habits. The weird thing is, I havent. The surgery affects the brain somehow (I watched a doco on it years ago but I can totally vouch for this), so that I really don't have anything like the cravings I used to. I sometimes have a small bit of mac n cheese, but I can really control cravings now. I also don't feel denied foods, like I used to on a diet. I find I want to eat healthily most of the time, can treat myself occasionally and not feel bad about it. In short, I'm finding this easy! Not a massive struggle as every diet used to be.

Recovery from surgery was pretty easy for me. I had one incision that hurt when I lay down, for about six days, then was ok. Get your doctor to give you anti-nausea pills. There will be times in those first three months when you'll suddenly feel sick. Best not to be sick, particularly as you're healing. Those pills are awesome, they work in a minute. The nausea went away around month three for me - it wasn't all the time, far from it, but those pills were great when it hit! I also recommend a firm pillow in the hospital, to clutch to your stomach when you roll over in bed. Really helped me.

Be prepared for it being quite a trip :-) Takes a while to adjust to eating slowly, chewing lots, and eating such small amounts. It can be hard in the early days if you eat out and can't eat as much as everyone else, or as much as you used to. It may stink, but that's how we gott to the size we did, so it's a good thing we can't any more :-) Rest assured, you will be able to eat any food in time, and have a fairly decent amount, just not tons of it :-) But boy, does the weight fall off! You're about the same weight I was when I started. I hit my goal weight just shy of nine months later :-) Never would've got there without the sleeve! Try to buy things in sales as I was honestly out of sizes after just three weeks. Try not to buy too much (damn hard to do once you start to be able to shop in any clothes store!), and also document your journey! I wrote a diary, recorded weights, and also recorded my weight on myfitnesspal.com as a graph. It's a trip! Takes loads of photos - you won't believe it's the same person later :-) I'm still adjusting to how I look now! I'm now a size 12 (was a 26 when I started), and I don't ever remember when I was last this size. Crazy.

Enjoy the ride :-) And I agree, this is an awesome forum!

Submit "any tips?" to Digg Submit "any tips?" to del.icio.us Submit "any tips?" to StumbleUpon Submit "any tips?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

if you havent had your surgery go extremely low carb now it will help you avoid the energy drain after the surgery that is often associated with the the surgery. I broke my addiction to carbs 20 years ago and they couldnt nail my butt to the floor even the day of surgery. I am 10 days post op and still have amazing energy.
    tip 2 a way to avoid the gas pains that are quite bad. I stumbled on this one purely by accident but it helped me greatly COLD BEVERAGES HURT GOING DOWN and cause the pain so if your getting that excruciating pain drink room temp beverages yes even your shakes believe me you will thank me for that one
    tip 3 get up and move your body frequently. the day of the surgery get out of bed as soon as you can and walk those halls frequently take yourself to the bathroom it will also help with the gas. when at home get up and move frequently it will help. I was doing beginner ti-chi movements just to keep my strength and that boosted my energy. If your tired then rest.
    tip 4. Your body can only have the energy to repair itself when you sleep so get 8-9 hours worth of sleep each night even the week before.
    tip 5 I have a nurtibullet so when my vanilla shake was getting a little old for the taste buds I through 2 large frozen strawberries in with the shake and it tasted like strawberry ice cream at that moment it was so worth the pain that the cold caused .
    6. DRINK WATER STAY HYDRATED
    TIP 7 I put myself on a schedule to make sure that I got the required protein. I was doing half a shake when first waking up taking 30 min to drink it then 30 min rest then 6-8 oz of water then 30 min break then the cycle would begin again, Ya I know it is a lot of work but you will get at least your minimum amount of protein in and a lot of water to stay hydrated to get rid of those keytones which if built up can cause you to get very sick.
    8. Know this you will have 1-2 days that you wont lose anything during the first 10 days post-op (thats the extent of my experience) dont worry about it it will pick up again after a couple days and from what I can tell from others experiences you will have stalls throughout the process just make sure your getting your protein and hydration and it will pick up again that stall may be because your picking up muscle weight from gaining muscle.
    9 dont allow family members to bring home take out for a while it will be too tempting and you are doing this for you and your health. dont allow them to make your journey harder
    10 If you need encouragement look to other sleevers and they will gladly open arms and give you what you need
    Good luck