Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ibleedblue

big decision

Rate this Entry
Sitting here thinking about the upcoming surgery and getting nervous so I've decided to write it out, get it off my chest.
I'm in this weird place between being excited and being sick to my stomach with worry of the unknown.
I've struggled with weight for so long I don't even remember a time in my adult life when it wasn't an issue. I've always been about 30 pounds overweight, fluctuating with whatever torture of a diet I was on. I overeat to help deal with anxiety. Anxiety is an issue with everyone in my family. I feel like I cannot escape it, though I can hide it very well. My counselor says I am a high functioning agoraphobic. There was about a year where I didn't leave home except to the store, and even that was a huge issue for me. I lost my job, I got fired because of missing so many days. Some days I would call in sick from the parking lot because I just couldn't face going inside. Slowly I got back to where I could function on a normal routine, and I went back to work. Then I met my future husband, on eharmony of all places I weighed 135 pounds. We moved in together and got engaged. He has three kids so I inherited a large family all at once. At first, this was really stressful for me. They are all very loud and boisterous whereas I am the type of person who hates to have the TV on in the background. Anxiety started to creep back in and I ate more to deal with it. By the time we were getting married two years later, I was up to 155 pounds. As a wedding present my husband told me I could have anything I wanted (thinking I would say a new car) I wanted a tummy tuck. Afterwards, I felt great. I was still overweight but I had a flat stomach and it made everything I wore look better on me. I used to be so self concious of my pooch I would always wear bulkier clothes to hide it. I also loved being married. Two yrs after that, my company closed. My husband makes really good money and he was happy for me to stay home and take care of our busy home life. I thought I would be too. Six months in, I was miserable. I felt worthless, and my anxiety started coming back. I started to be afraid of more things. Then my aunt, my favorite, my godmother, the person I wanted to be just like my whole life was diagnosed with cancer. It only took six months before cancer ripped her away from us, and we were helpless to stop it. She died in horrible pain, a shell of the vibrant women who lit up the room when she walked in it. After that my anxiety became focused within. I used to be afraid of of things like the building collapsing, a stranger breaking in and stabbing me to death, getting in a car accident, things like that. Now I constantly scanned my body. Any tiny discomfort became a sign that I was going to die. Also I was home all the time so I would make huge meals and comfort myself with food that was terrible for me. I'm Sicilian, so bread and pasta and cheese became my best friends. My flat stomach has slowly started to protrude again, My current weight is 200 pounds. I cannot stand how I look. I don't go out with my friends because I'm always the fat one. My clothes look bad on me, I stay in sweats mostly now. I cringe at being in pictures, every time I see a photo of my full body I am just horrified that is how people see me. Im scared because I am starting to have real health problems. High blood pressure. Ive always had body aches because I am a DDD bra size but now I have to use aleve a lot to deal with aches, not just my back and shoulders but my knees, my ankles. I am sick of being this way.
I also have hypoglycemia, and if you have ever felt the jitters from a low blood sugar episode, it feels a lot like the beginning of an anxiety/panic attack. Most of the time my low blood sugar spells came when I was dieting. I would feel sick, panic, overeat, blow my diet, feel terrible, and give up. Then I would get disgusted with myself and go back to the diet with a vengence and repeat the cycle all over again. Im just ready for a change. Of course for someone with severe anxiety, going to a foreign country for a life altering surgery is no picnic. But after reading many of the stories of women who have done the same thing, I feel a growing admiration. It takes courage to do this, and I have decided to be courageous and brave - like them.

Submit "big decision" to Digg Submit "big decision" to del.icio.us Submit "big decision" to StumbleUpon Submit "big decision" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I can completely sympathize with your situation and was panicked up until the moment they wheeled me into the operating room, sobbing all the way down the hall. I am now 6 weeks post op and it is the best decision I ever made. The things I worried about prior to surgery, will I be able to follow the program? How will I not be able to feed my anxiety? All senseless worrying now that I'm in the thick of it. It is a life change because you dont eat, drink, or live the way you used to but for me it has not been hard to adjust.
    Comparatively, I have walked in your shoes. I had major spine surgery about 25 years ago. Spent 5 months in a cast from my knees to my neck. At the same time my sister came down with cancer and died within 6 months. I was agoraphobic for a year. I thought everyday I was going to die and I still struggle with thinking about death all the time. I am terrified of it. Ever see a grocery cart full of stuff in the store in the middle of the aisle with no one around? That was mine because I had to book it out of the store so I could pass out and in my car. Decades later I am pretty much past all that but the journey to recovery required food because I convinced myself that every time I felt like I was going to pass out or freak out, if I would stuff something in my mouth (usually a mcd or BK cheeseburger because it was fast and readily convenient) I would feel better and be able to get through my episode. Well it worked!! High functioning, power business woman at your service who now happens to be 130 lbs overweight.
    I have walked in your shoes and I can tell you six weeks in, this is the best thing I have ever done. I did not travel outside the country for surgery but knowing what I know now, seeing the results i am seeing, feeling the way i feel (i've never been so happy), and understanding fully all the fears and anxieties you are experiencing right now, I would still have gone anywhere to have this done.
    You have to decide for you but what I've learned over these many years is that what my anxiety creates in my head is 100 times worse than any reality that can really occur. Keep the faith!! Great things are just around the corner and we're all here to support you!
    Wow, I am so relieved after reading both of your stories. I can so relate to all of it. Especially the anxiety, and the back issues. I myself had to have back/spine surgery 2 years ago, then the doctor encouraged me to have a breast reduction (DDD), to take the weight off of my back. I am also 200 pounds, and can't stand the way I look. I am a power business woman as well, but now work from my home. I avoid going to meetings for fear of being seen, and having an anxiety attack.
    IBLEEDBLUE, when is your surgery? Mine is Tuesday. I have never been more excited about anything. I would like to follow up with you and see how you are doing. BTW, I am also Sicilian. Good Luck and hang in there.
    Ok, here it. I've read so many posts about how great the surgery is and how happy everyone is after taking the plunge but I can't stop myself from feeling scared and worried. My surgery date is this Thursday and I'm starting to freak out a little. My mother was "sleeved" (that sounds so weird lol) last year in April and she is ecstatic with her results. It wasn't easy she says, but it's worth it....still I'm scared that THIS may not be for me. I'm trying to stay positive but I worry about things not going well. Is this just cold feet?
    Frostyesp, I feel the same way I think its just cold feet. Im personally trying to be courageous and hope for the best. Let me know how your surgery goes/went. Im sending positive vibes your way!!