Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

FeliciaB

Gallbladder removal?

Rate this Entry
I don't have a history of gallbladder issues, but the nurses said some might develop after surgery. So I'm just wondering how many of you still have your gallbladder and if it has caused problems? Or is getting it removed, while they're in there, the best option?

Thank you .

Submit "Gallbladder removal?" to Digg Submit "Gallbladder removal?" to del.icio.us Submit "Gallbladder removal?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Gallbladder removal?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I remember hearing somewhere before that some crazy number like %60 of bariatric surgery patients go on to have to have the removal... I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind it, but it's very common in non-surgery people as well. I had mine removed about 3 months after I was sleeved. I didn't have any pain or anything but during an ultrasound for other things, my doctor found that I had "sludge" build up in mine that would eventually lead to stones and pain so we opted to get it out preventatively. The extra scars (literally inches from my sleeve scars) are not flattering at all though.
    I have sludge and mine is being removed during my surgery next Thursday.
    There is a big correlation between sudden weight loss and gallbladder problems. I'm a nurse and was sleeved two weeks ago and I still have my gallbladder (and want to keep it too). I did some online research and apparently gallbladder problems arise after weight loss because of impaired emptying of the gallbladder due to a imbalance between cholesterol and bile. I spoke to my dietitian and he said that you can help your gallbladder by having a small amount of "healthy" fats in your diet as well. I'm hoping this helps, I found it very interesting.
    Had my first "attack" 10 days after VSG surgery and had gallbladder surgery / removal 4 weeks post-VSG surgery. I had 30 gallstones -- which didn't develop only after VSG surgery. Could have been coincidence, could have been the pre-op diet and post-op weight loss. But as others above said, lots of fast weight losses (like a lifetime of yo-yo dieting) encourage gallstones.

I'm doing fine -- no post-gallbladder surgery issues that I can identify, e.g., diarrhea, etc. That only develops in a small percentage of people.
    I am 4 months post sleeve, my gall bladder is coming out this Monday. Interesting thing, I was having upper back pain since 1 1/2 months post surgery, everything I read said it was just my "frame" readjusting from the weight loss. I had not other problems, but a month ago started have more back pain and dumping like syndrome with anything I ate. Finally called the doctor, had a sonogram, and I have gallstones!
    Had mine out when I lost 110 pounds on a very low calorie diet, very common. I have not been sleeved yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by while.im.still.young
    I remember hearing somewhere before that some crazy number like %60 of bariatric surgery patients go on to have to have the removal... I'm not sure as to the reasoning behind it, but it's very common in non-surgery people as well. I had mine removed about 3 months after I was sleeved. I didn't have any pain or anything but during an ultrasound for other things, my doctor found that I had "sludge" build up in mine that would eventually lead to stones and pain so we opted to get it out preventatively. The extra scars (literally inches from my sleeve scars) are not flattering at all though.
    Thank you. My luck I will be a part of that %60, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne
    There is a big correlation between sudden weight loss and gallbladder problems. I'm a nurse and was sleeved two weeks ago and I still have my gallbladder (and want to keep it too). I did some online research and apparently gallbladder problems arise after weight loss because of impaired emptying of the gallbladder due to a imbalance between cholesterol and bile. I spoke to my dietitian and he said that you can help your gallbladder by having a small amount of "healthy" fats in your diet as well. I'm hoping this helps, I found it very interesting.
    What are you eating to get your healthy fats in? I wasn't really wanting mine out either but the odds don't seem to be in my favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Had my first "attack" 10 days after VSG surgery and had gallbladder surgery / removal 4 weeks post-VSG surgery. I had 30 gallstones -- which didn't develop only after VSG surgery. Could have been coincidence, could have been the pre-op diet and post-op weight loss. But as others above said, lots of fast weight losses (like a lifetime of yo-yo dieting) encourage gallstones.

I'm doing fine -- no post-gallbladder surgery issues that I can identify, e.g., diarrhea, etc. That only develops in a small percentage of people.
    Glad you're doing better and thank you for your reply. It seems I should get it out to take advantage of the small price tag. Gallbladder surgery in the states is expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvanjames
    I am 4 months post sleeve, my gall bladder is coming out this Monday. Interesting thing, I was having upper back pain since 1 1/2 months post surgery, everything I read said it was just my "frame" readjusting from the weight loss. I had not other problems, but a month ago started have more back pain and dumping like syndrome with anything I ate. Finally called the doctor, had a sonogram, and I have gallstones!
    So sorry you're having to go through that, it sounds very painful. My thoughts and prayers are will you on Monday for a quick and pain free recovery. Thank you for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by duane
    Had mine out when I lost 110 pounds on a very low calorie diet, very common. I have not been sleeved yet.
    Wow, it's amazing you have lost so much already. I wish dieting would do that for me. Congrats and keep up the good work. Thank you for your reply.
    me too i have the same issue i didn't have history with my gallbladder then i had a very strong pain even i didn't know the cause of this pain but i went to er then they told me that i have problem with me gallbladder and i have to remove i wait for about a month but the pain come in this month about 3 times so i decide to make the operation to remove it
    now every thing ok thx god
    I was having issues with my gallbladder prior to surgery so I had the two for one surgery. Best thing I could have done. No way did I want to have 2 surgeries and 2 recoveries.
    My doctor put me on Urisdol to prevent stones. I took it for the first 8 or 9 months. No issues, but it could've been just luck too. A lot of women have an attack after child birth too.
    My Surgeon said that he didn't want me to go thru any issues later so he took it out at the same time of my surgery.
    I went to the ER on Monday with major stomach pain and ended up in the hospital for four days. I had acute pancreatitis from a gallstone dislodging and irritating my pancreas. I did not want to remove my gallbladder due to the horror stories I have heard over the years, but the doctor said I was lucky and the next stone that came out could kill me, so I caved in a got the surgery. Mine was irritated by going to the chiropractor, weird right. Anyway, I'm on day two of recovery and not so sure about the future without another God given body part (also had hysterectomy).