Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Panda

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

Rate this Entry
So today is Thursday, April 24th. I was sleeved 2 days ago. Yesterday I was very groggy, wasn't keeping down liquids well and my Blood Pressure was doing wacky things. For the past few years it's been running around 140/60 or so, but yesterday it was about 179/80 for several times, then around midnight it popped up to 206/90 for a couple of times. I jokingly told the drs and nurses around me I thought I had a case of "white coat syndrome" since I had my last 2 babies at home because I'm not that fond of hospitals. This morning my BP dropped back down into the 140's/60's again and stayed there the rest of time time there.

Yesterday I had a headache and asked for a tylenol before they took me off the morphine pump. It looked like I had only pushed it for pain relief 12 times since they took me to recovery. They brought me a hydrocodone and I was able to keep the pill down, but threw up the water I used to get it down. I had a hard time with nausea and had things come back up about 3 times yesterday.

I got up several times yesterday and shuffled down the aisle and everyone told me I was such a good patient. :-) I felt like I'd been sucker punched in the gut. Turning over in bed was difficult at times. It got better when I got out of the hospital gown and into my own clothes!

I would change positions as often as I could. I didn't have a recliner in my room, so when I sat in the chair I would prop my feet up on the bed. I think my favorite way to lay in bed was to have the feet end up higher than the head end and throw both pillows down there on the feet end and curl up on top of the pillows with a rolled up towel under my neck and my feet towards the headboard. My last nurse, Emmalyn, was very nice and chuckled when she came in and saw me like that. Told her I just needed a different perspective and chuckled myself.

I was discharged about 1:15pm and was back home around 2pm after we dropped off my scripts. I'm doing better at keeping things down today, but I'm behind in my hydration. I must have peed 3 or 4 times in recovery just from all the fluids they gave me thru the IV. I was having to pee almost every 2 hours all night long after they got me up to my room. At least I was no longer confined to the bedpan! The first time they put that under me they probably should have used a trash can bucket as they had to change the whole bed!

When I got home today I have a little "nest" on the couch. I have the jello and protein drinks laid out on the coffee table beside me. I even go one of the baby spoons out to eat with. I started to have a bite or two of jello, but set it down on my chest between bites, as I was propped up 3/4 of the way. I must have dozed off and when I awoke, I had a lovely shade of yellow all over my bathrobe and pj top, so I had to change. At least with the sugar free jello you don't get sticky, but it was still a mess that I don't want to repeat. I must remind myself to put things back on the coffee table if I'm not going to finish them right then. I fall asleep so easy. I'm only taking pain meds about every 6 hours as I don't hurt as much today as I did yesterday.

I must remember to breathe with that contraption I think they call the spirometer too. Don't want pneumonia!

Time for another nap! Later!

Submit "Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig" to Digg Submit "Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig" to del.icio.us Submit "Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig" to StumbleUpon Submit "Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

glad you are home ... Congrats on your surgery.. Hope for a speedy recovery!!!
    Splint your tummy with a pillow and cough deeply about once an hour. That will help keep the fluids out of your lungs as well. Congrats on your surgery and drink that water! Hydration speeds the healing process.
    Hope you're completely recovered and feeling good soon.
    Good luck to you. It'll only get better from here!
    I love your blog title! Growing up, My Mom always said that to me when we arrived home, and in turn I have always said it to my kids. I guess it's a tradition! Lol I've never heard anyone else say it.
    Speedy recovery to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ljana
    Splint your tummy with a pillow and cough deeply about once an hour. That will help keep the fluids out of your lungs as well. Congrats on your surgery and drink that water! Hydration speeds the healing process.
    Yes, I've been doing that since I was in the hospital! It does help, thank you! I had an awful case of post-nasal drip too that was tickling the back of my throat. I wasn't getting enough fluids to help things stay moist in the back of my throat and it was hard to cough up those little thick dots of phlegm without a pillow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepgoddess
    Good luck to you. It'll only get better from here!
    I love your blog title! Growing up, My Mom always said that to me when we arrived home, and in turn I have always said it to my kids. I guess it's a tradition! Lol I've never heard anyone else say it.
    Speedy recovery to you!
    I guess your mom was into Mother Goose nursery rhymes too! The whole poem goes:
    To market, to market
    to buy a fat pig.
    Home again, home again
    Jiggity jig!

To market, to market
    to buy a fat hog.
    Home again, home again
    Jiggity jog!

Thanks! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ljana
    I am post op day 2! Please describe what you mean by 'splint your tummy'. I am trying to cough but it is difficult and painful of course. Thank you, Linda
    Thank you, Panda for sharing. I am post op day 2 - right behind you and I hope to go home tomorrow. My Upper GI was this morning. Scary but easier than I expected. Your experience is encouraging!
    Linda
    Thank you, Panda for sharing. I am post op day 2 - right behind you and I hope to go home tomorrow. My Upper GI was this morning. Scary but easier than I expected. Your experience is encouraging!
    Linda
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Marie
    I am post op day 2! Please describe what you mean by 'splint your tummy'. I am trying to cough but it is difficult and painful of course. Thank you, Linda
    Linda Marie - Welcome to Gastric Sleeve!
    To splint your tummy, get a pillow and hold it next to your belly as tight as you can be and still be comfortable. It shouldn't hurt. You then should be able to cough easier without the pain. If you're still having a lot of pain, don't skimp on the pain meds, the might not take all the pain away, but it will take the edge off to make it easier to move around, cough, etc. without a lot of pain.
    Welcome to the sleeved side:-)