Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Valerie68

Help!!! 13 months out

Rate this Entry
Hello - new to the community. I was sleeved on 12/15/2015. HW 270 SW 233 CW 134. I'm 5.5 feet tall. Everything went incredibly well. No complications. However - within the past week I've been getting hungrier and hungrier with shorter intervals between "meals". Very odd - I still measure and weigh everything and get full on that amount - but I'm hungry within the next hour - hour and half. My head is getting headaches like hunger headaches. Very weird - never experienced this before. I'm never usually hungry. My sweet tooth has come back too - but I've pretty much kept that at bay. What could this mean??

Submit "Help!!!  13 months out" to Digg Submit "Help!!!  13 months out" to del.icio.us Submit "Help!!!  13 months out" to StumbleUpon Submit "Help!!!  13 months out" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't know how true this is, but I've read/heard that after a while, your body begins producing ghrelin again from other places. I'm gonna see if I can find anything about it.
    Ghrelin is a hormone that is produced and released mainly by the stomach with small amounts also released by the small intestine, pancreas and brain. Ghrelin has numerous functions. It is termed the 'hunger hormone' because it stimulates appetite, increases food intake and promotes fat storage.[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.541176)]Dec 11, 2014[/COLOR]
    1. Take fish oil. Omega 3 fatty acids are linked to decreased hunger. (7)
    2. Sleep. Lack of sleep leads to more ghrelin and less leptin, as well as disrupted glucose and insulin metabolism
    I agree with Pam. My surgeon told me since the beginning that hunger would come back, only reduced. He said that ghrelin is produced less after surgery but after a few months our stomach will produce more again. Apparently studies about hormones are not really "up to date" because our stomach also makes other hormones that are not all studied yet.
    When I had some ugly cravings a few months ago, my iron was very low again. Doc said that anyway my body will try to regain some of the weight at some point. I had several stalls, the last one was the longest and due to a medication, at least I was not gaining (thank you sleeve!). I think the closest I get from my goal the harder it gets to lose, and there's days I do feel more hungry. those days I eat mainly things that get me full longer: boiled eggs, chicken, turkey, nuts (no more than 1/4 cup) also I don't eat low fat and good fat does make you fuller longer. I do take more omegas those past weeks because my stomach can handle it better and I know I do feel better when I take it (help a lot with my crazy hormones, I also take primerose oil and other), also does my skin. I think it does help on many levels.
    If I was you I would get a blood test.
    I will be one year out next week, I know that this is a journey and we have many unexpected ups and downs.
    We just need to adjust our diet a little bit to find a balance, try new things and see if it works. Also just thinking about it....it's winter, we are more hungry when it's cold aren't we? especially when we lost our bear coat! ;-D take care!
    Every few hours, I eat something. It might be a cheese stick, it might be a bite of fruit, it might be a protein shake, etc., but I have a little something. I don't think its anything to become alarmed about. In fact, I think that when I was a year and a half out is when it started.
    Hi @Valerie68

The further out from surgery, I have been able to fill my sleeve with more food. I still have restriction. I'm not over eatting. I just have a bit more capasity. I also feel hunger at times.

Some thing's to try for hunger: ( Double check my advice with your dietician)

(1) Up your protein goal. In weight loss mode I was at 60g to 100g. I am now at 130g Protein helps me feel full.

(2) Make sure your getting plenty of vegetables in. At 2.5 years out. I can eat a cup and a half of salad with my protein. Fiber in your vegies will help with hunger, without a bunch of calories.

(3) I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day.

(4) This may sound weird. Don't laugh to hard.... After each meal brush your teeth with mint tooth paste...The mint sooths my stomach. It stops my hunger.... All I'm saying is give it a try.

Wishing you the best,
    Jenn1