Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Aydensmomma

Bad teeth

Rate this Entry
I always brushed and flossed. I went to the dentist 2x a year like I was supposed to. Then I lost insurance and didn't go to the dentist for 2 years, but I cared for my teeth. All was good, but in the past year my teeth seem to have been deteriorating. As I write this I'm sitting at the dentist office. I have 2 broken teeth, one that has been a 8/10 on a pain scale these past few days. I also have had teeth pulled, and a crown on one. Can't sleep becasue my whole head is throbbing. The only major change in my life has been the sleeve, 2 years ago.
Anyone will similar problems?

Submit "Bad teeth" to Digg Submit "Bad teeth" to del.icio.us Submit "Bad teeth" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bad teeth" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Nope. Not so far. I'm 2.5 yrs post op and 71 years old.
    I hope not....breaking and losing teeth is one of my big fears!
    Two of my cousins are dentist and since I had the surgery they focused a little more on the subject regarding their own patients.
    They told me what they noticed: many of their bariatric patients (right now in France it's mainly sleeve) have issues with their teeth, especially those who have a bad reflux and/or not taking medication for it. The result could be enamel issues or cavities.
    Two others had issues because they didn't take their supplements and needed more calcium. From what I understand, sometimes if your calcium level is ok on your blood test, it doesn't actually reflect "the reality". Basically the body will just go and find the calcium where it can find it, so bones and teeth. So blood test could be ok but then apparently we should have Xray to look at our bones.
    Since I saw my cousins in October, I'm planning on doing more tests when I will be in France next month. Starting with a panoramic X-ray. In the mean time I'm taking calcium supplements.
    I thought the issue was specific to France because some doctors don't give a PPI to all their patients post-op, and many don't advise on taking vitamins post-sleeve (because many French doc have something about taking supplements..go figure..)...may be the issue is actually not specific to the after care but just the surgery itself??
    My sister is 5 years post op and has not had any issues. I am not far enough so I couldn't say.