Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Susie57

Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by Susie57 View Post
I started my journey approximately two years ago I spent the first year and a half taking classes and going to therapy to work on my food issues. I really wanted to make sure I was ready for surgery and all it entailed. I had watched three friends have weight loss surgery only to slip back into bad habits. While they still have quite a bit of weight off they've each put weight back on I finally took the plunge on July 15, 2016. My pre op appointment was May 26 at which point I weighed 308 at 5'2" tall on the day of my surgery I weighed in at 287. I had no complications and healed quickly. The first month I lost 19 ponds. The second month 8 pounds,and the third 10 pounds. The fourth month I added 30 minutes of bicycling and dropped 16 pounds. Yippee!!! But then, I only lost a total of .6 pounds the fifth month. It wasn't a plateau. I had to be honest with myself. I had taken on the care of a family member and with that stress had made very poor food choices the first half of the month I had actually gained 5 pounds and after getting back on track lost 5.6 the second half of the month. This last month I am happy to say I'm back on track, making good choices and exercising every day. I lost ten more pounds bringing my total to 80 pounds since May 26. When I get discouraged and feel like it's going too slow I try to remember at ten pounds a month that's 120 in a year!! I've also learned to remind myself to be very mindful about everything that goes in my mouth. Other than when I first wake up in the morning I'm not hungry. My goal each day is to stay under 600 calories with 80 grams of protein and 40 grams of carbs. I see my nutritionist this week and I know the plan is to increase my calories to 800 in about two weeks. That scares me a little because when I gained the five pounds I had creeped up to 800 calories during those two weeks. However, I didn't carefully watch my protein and ate way too many carbs. I have two weeks until I'm six months post op. And I've lost 12 pounds so far this month. I'm working hard to make this a record month!! I've learned that tracking the carbs and protein really helps. Oh and I drink 64-70 oz of water a day. I hope my journey can help someone else learn from my mistakes. By the way I now ride my mountain bike 5 miles daily with some days at 7 miles and 45 minutes.

Submit "Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey" to Digg Submit "Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey" to del.icio.us Submit "Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey" to StumbleUpon Submit "Susie57's Gastric Sleeve Journey" to Google

Tags: journeys Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I saw my nutritionist today. She says I need to double my calories and my exercise. Excersise is no problem but worried about the calories. Anyone else had this happen?
    I need to see a nutritionist...
    Susie trust your nutritionist. She knows best. I know it is easy to say not to worry about those calories, but realistically we can't continue to eat such a low amount of calories. It is not healthy. Our bodies need nutrients. You are doing phenomenal and have accomplished this by following your surgeon and nutritionists advice. They have not failed you so far. Trust in them. Good luck!
    I saw my nutritionist at each post-op with my surgeon. My team is not really focused on calorie intake, more about protein and keeping the volume of what we eat in check.
    At some point around month 3, I was under 60gr of protein per day and I was told to eat more. So I had to have one more shake per day for a few weeks.
    Now I'm 11 months out and I can eat enough protein with food most of the days
    I did track several times what I eat and I've been over 1000 calories for quiet a while.
    I did notice that in November I was not losing anything, but because I was sick all month with the flu I had to take my asthma treatment almost every day. Usually I gain weight with the treatment, but this time I didn't, I've just been in a stall for ever...so don't worry, focus on protein and water and you will be fine!