Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Notoriousbig

NotoriousBigs 5 months post-op and some thoughts....

Rate this Entry
I don't weigh myself anymore...for me it's a no brainer. I have jeans and a mirror to monitor my weight. A lifestyle change for me means just that...was a slave to the scale for years. Not anymore. My waist went from about 54 to about 34/35 now...I'm good with that=}. I read posts about stalls, set backs, etc. Besides the serious medical issues...most posts I read about focuses on food. As an obese person, our lives revolved around food....still does. I pack my food everyday, I test what I can eat...everyday, I monitor what goes into my mouth....everyday. BUT....ten times more importantly( folks, please remember these are MY thought, opinions, observations) for me is my time in the gym. I workout 6 days a week...religiously. I run for an hour, then lift weights for 30 mins. For ME, being fit is wayyyyyy more important than losing weight. However, they go hand in hand because when you exercise.....duh!

My surgery was July 13th, 2016. The next week of July 17th, I logged 51,717 steps on my Fitbit...around 22,000 calories give or take. This past week...5 months later, I logged 94,102 steps...with over 500 active minutes. I also ran my first 5K race in under 25 minutes. I train indoors mostly...and my treadmill training is with my iPad mini and Netflix. A one hour episode of Designated Survivor is 45-47 mins of cardio with Kiefer Sutherland! If I were to guess...I probably weigh a little under 220 pounds. My 36 waist jeans I bought last month are loose and my strength is returning quickly. I've been working hard not to have that gaunt look from weight loss. So far, the folks who haven't seen me for awhile say I look fit or hell, they simply don't recognize me=}.

I wanted to commit to a lifestyle change. Healthy eating with consistent exercise. I coach soccer also which helps, and it's important in my career job to be fit. Though I hate the fact that I needed to be sleeved...I love that it controls portion for me but more importantly allows me to train hard with great results from my exercise. I don't care how much I weigh...the BMI thing is idiotic IMHO. At 6ft tall and 220 pounds, with a 34 inch waist, low body fat, can run all day and do sets of 40 push-ups at a time....I would probably still be considered obese or overweight because it lacks accountability for muscle mass.

I have my 6 month checkup next month. I'm curious to see my blood work and check my levels. No high blood pressure, cpap, diabetes, high cholesterol for me anymore. My resting heart rate went from 72 to 48. Honestly, I still wake up thinking that I will be in the hospital post-op and this will be my "skinny" dream! For those reading this who are struggling....please start moving if you haven't been. Diet is huge but only part of the solution. Moving your body, sweating, exercising will trigger things in your body that makes it strong, efficient and healthy. It seems that folks do it as an after thought, or think that being active at work is exercise....and it's not unless you're Lionel Messi. Please swim, walk, run, bike, row, lift, P90x, something....it'll give you the changes you've been looking for if you're struggling. If you need a Fitbit friend...PM me and let's do this together. I'm gonna run two races a month...5 and 10k for goal-setting. Levi's will be my scale. Blessings to all of you on your journeys. Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays...eat well and workout hard...its a winning combo....xoxoxoAl

Submit "NotoriousBigs 5 months post-op and some thoughts...." to Digg Submit "NotoriousBigs 5 months post-op and some thoughts...." to del.icio.us Submit "NotoriousBigs 5 months post-op and some thoughts...." to StumbleUpon Submit "NotoriousBigs 5 months post-op and some thoughts...." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great post. Congrats on making the changes to a healthier you. I agree with the exercise, do something to move around. No excuses. I find 20 minutes of HIIT works great for me along with lifting weights every other day. Switch up your exercises if necessary. I'm currently recovering from a total knee replacement and going stir crazy not being able to exercise much. I never thought I would actually miss exercising.
    Jeez Louise, man!!!!! You're having fun, aren't you?

Congratulations.
    I haven't moved an inch since before surgery. I don't want to have to depend on exercise to lose and maintain, because I know me....I won't keep it up.

So, I've been as sedentary as I can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I haven't moved an inch since before surgery. I don't want to have to depend on exercise to lose and maintain, because I know me....I won't keep it up.

So, I've been as sedentary as I can be.
    Come on, you're a nurse you are walking all day! give yourself some credit here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Come on, you're a nurse you are walking all day! give yourself some credit here!
    Nope, not anymore. I'm a school nurse now, no more hospital craziness for me. Most of my day is at a desk doing computer work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    Nope, not anymore. I'm a school nurse now, no more hospital craziness for me. Most of my day is at a desk doing computer work.
    Oh! Ok ...you still have your fingers running on the keyboard then

I do wish I could exercise more...it took for ever for my injuries to heal, then there's always something. November I had the flu and we had so much pollution I had to walk as little as possible! how ironic!

I must admit I'm not a fitness junky, never was after the age of 17 when I stopped intensive pro-ballet training...but I do feel so much better when I'm able to walk at least 3 miles per day. Didn't not happen regularly since October. I can see that I'm losing muscle tone in my legs...we'll see what the doc say about it next month...
    Great Post, thanks for sharing your journey and what worked for you. You must be proud. I think exercising is the key here as well. I am just a week out of surgery, feeling good, lost 12 lbs so far, but started walking and I know now that this is essentially a second chance. I know food will always there, so why make it a problem? That is my new outlook. I am approaching this as new road to travel on, new adventure. And I cannot wait to get there!

Everyone has their own mind set and changing old habit is going to be hard, but since I have now started new habits, then I am going to stick to those, the old ones will just go away. Focus is on no diabetes, low cholestrol, strong heart and strong mind! Thank you for inspiring me!
    Thanks M&M...if I take a couple days off...I get a little nutty. Get well, recover and do what you do. Sending positive thoughts your way!!
    Having a great time Ann...and catching up on great shows! I feel great and haven't had a "back" episode since surgery. I was worried that exercise would reinjure my back....quite the opposite. That makes me very happy!!=)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocobozo
    Great Post, thanks for sharing your journey and what worked for you. You must be proud. I think exercising is the key here as well. I am just a week out of surgery, feeling good, lost 12 lbs so far, but started walking and I know now that this is essentially a second chance. I know food will always there, so why make it a problem? That is my new outlook. I am approaching this as new road to travel on, new adventure. And I cannot wait to get there!

Everyone has their own mind set and changing old habit is going to be hard, but since I have now started new habits, then I am going to stick to those, the old ones will just go away. Focus is on no diabetes, low cholestrol, strong heart and strong mind! Thank you for inspiring me!
    You are so welcome. It's a little weird, but my exercise cravings are much like when I craved carbs, or crappy food. Now, I just wanna move and sweat a little. Nothing crazy, just getting a little workout in everyday...
    Very motivational! Thanks for posting! I hope to start some sort of physical regimen after my shoulder surgery...
    Quote Originally Posted by czorin
    Very motivational! Thanks for posting! I hope to start some sort of physical regimen after my shoulder surgery...
    Good luck brother in your recovery. Once you get in the exercise groove, the inches melt away and the fitness is great! Blessings to you...
    ...eat well and workout hard...its a winning combo....xoxoxo
    My favorite quote!!!

Hugs!