Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Oh Lisa

Home again, home again

Rate this Entry
I made it back home and feel fantastic. I am still getting used to that full feeling - or the feeling when I drink too much of a sip. What I find interesting is the post op plan given to me by my doc. It stretches things out a lot more. When comparing to other online post op plans mine won't start on solid foods for nearly 2 weeks after every other one has you starting on them. Just out of curiosity - do any of you remember when you could start eating 1-soft foods (like scrambled eggs) and 2- try all foods? I'm just wondering what the deal is on the post op options. I literally was given a list that liquids through day 17, pureed foods to day 27, soft foods to day 40 and then day 40 solid foods. I just find this drags out a lot more than the other searched plans I found. Any advice - I guess its a little selfish because on the other plan by Christmas I can only do pureed foods and on other plans it would be moist foods by then. Don't want to disrupt anything, but I'm doing the Christmas dinner this year and it would be nice to have a little more variety by then. Thanks!

Submit "Home again, home again" to Digg Submit "Home again, home again" to del.icio.us Submit "Home again, home again" to StumbleUpon Submit "Home again, home again" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was 2 weeks liquids. 2 weeks puréed foods. 2 weeks soft foods etc
    I think dr.'s make their plans based on the success of their own patients. My plan was clear liquids for 3 days and then full liquids for 5 weeks. After that it was solid food. I never did the puréed food. It wa hard but I have no issues and have only had 3 times of upset sleeve and 2 was because of crushed prescription medicine. Although it will be hard, it is best if you follow your surgeons advice. Good luck to you.
    I had my surgery done in Asia so my guidelines are a little different. I was able to try soft food around day 10, actually didn't like it so I tried again one week later and stdid one more week of full liquid.
    At one month I could have "everything", just chewing really well. I never went overboard because I new other patients had different guidelines, I tried to be really careful.
    It's better to stick to your guideline and be creative with your own Xmas diner, you can make a soup/pure from almost everything. Plus be careful with fatty food, during the first months it's hard to digest it. Take care.
    i am one month out and im on very soft foor. Some days I cant tolerate it some days I can.
    I am 6 weeks out and did 2 weeks liquid, then right into soft food and will be cleared for everything at my next appointment. Quite frankly, I try a taste of anything I want, but have not had any salads or cruciferous vegetables, no breads, chips. Some things just won't stay down, so I figure it's not the right time to have it.
    I didn't follow my 'plan' very well and started eating way too soon. I got a grip and went back to liquids for a little bit. It's better to wait till your tummy is pretty much healed (by about 6 wks) to start eating foods the poor little guy has to work at digesting.
    Thanks all! I'll be following his plan for sure. I'll just plan to have some items on the menu I can have like sugar free jello and such. Such a learning curve even though I researched the heck out of it beforehand. If I can do this through the holidays the rest of the year will be a breeze!
    I did protein for 10 days prior to surgery and lost 10 lbs form 350-340 (meat, eggs, and hard cheese that 1oz is 1 carb). My surgeon said I could eat green vegetables but to keep all I eat to below 20g for that 10 day period.

Then after surgery I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks (Days 1-14)
    Sip slowly and worked up to 32 oz mIlk on day 3.
    Take 60 min to drink 8 oz also drink 48-64oz water
    Below is the food plan for Phase 1 the Doc gave me.

Skim milk/ 32oz a day so 8oz breakfast, lunch and dinner. I bought Fairlife skim milk because it has more protein 13g per 8oz.
    Sugar free caffeine free coffee and tea
    Broth
    no sugar added popsicles
    sugar free jello
    no sugar added fruit juice diluted by half (I did not drink any of this)

Phase 2 Week 3 and 4 (Days 15-25) Take 60 min to drink 8 oz also drink 48-64oz water
    All of the phase 1 food items plus:
    Plain no fat no sugar yogurt (no seeds, no fruit)
    Sugar free cocoa (did not drink any of that)
    Carnation Instant breakfast no sugar added (this was very helpful in the milk, I used this a lot)
    Tomato or veg juice (I did not drink this, not a fan)
    Thin cream of wheat, cream of rice, oatmeal or grits ( i used cream of wheat mad sit with the milk and made it thin)
    Low fat soup blended in the blender to thin consistency

Phase 3 Days 26-36

All of the Phase 1 and Phase 2 food items plus:
    Pureed food

4 tablespoons per meal (4 meals a day)
    smooth food like baby food or applesauce ( I did not eat any of these)
    Pureed or finely chopped moist lean meat, fish, poultry, low fat cottage cheese,scrambled eggs, hummus). I have only been on this phase a few days so i have tried scrambled eggs and it was not as easy as eating pureed deli turkey slices with a bit of broth and seasoning in the blender (food processors would be better).

I hope this helps you. I have not gotten all my water in still working on that. It is crucial to get in the water. I am walking 30 min a day. I started that on day 20. I also drink Hormel protein shots that have 24 g protein on days that I don't get it all that I need.
    Also my surgeons plan is to continue on pureed phase three a after day 37 until ready to progress to normal consistency healthy eating plan. Can try at 8 weeks as tolerated on the healthy eating plan list and he recommends a dietician visit to discuss those foods.
    I've noticed every surgeon seems to have their own post op diet. But I also noticed the pre op varies from surgeon to surgeon. I'd follow what your doctor set out.
    I'm just eight days post op and have already had scrambled egg.