Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

JLPSch

Five Years Running.. Literally

Rate this Entry
The Thanksgiving before I had gastric sleeve surgery, I ran m first 5K. It wasn't pretty, but I did it! Every year I run one and while they aren't as physically as hard, they can be mentally hard. Here's my latest story about this year's Turkey Trot

https://downthescale.com/2016/12/01/...gh-the-stress/

Anyone else start running after surgery? I'd love to hear your stories!

Take care,
Jen

Submit "Five Years Running.. Literally" to Digg Submit "Five Years Running.. Literally" to del.icio.us Submit "Five Years Running.. Literally" to StumbleUpon Submit "Five Years Running.. Literally" to Google

Comments

I started running about a year after surgery; started slow (like for short parts of my walks) and built up until I am now a runner! I'm so busy that I love that it takes less time than walking. I go before school, in the dark (streetlights), with my flashing light attached to my shirt. Love it. Not to mention after school I'm too tired to do anything. On weekends I hike to rest my legs.

I haven't done any sort of race yet. So far I just enjoy the solitude.
    Great story -- loved your blog post. Yeah, moving is one of life's most stressful events for good reasons. 'Cause nothing is familiar, you have to learn so many new things, your daily routine is unfamiliar, so many friends are left behind, etc. I hope you do wind up loving it there. Have spent a lot of time in that neck of the woods. Wonderful people up there.

I know you know this already, but meetups are great ways to meet new friends / runners.

Very best to you. And you look mahvelous. So well done on using your sleeve so very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I started running about a year after surgery; started slow (like for short parts of my walks) and built up until I am now a runner! I'm so busy that I love that it takes less time than walking. I go before school, in the dark (streetlights), with my flashing light attached to my shirt. Love it. Not to mention after school I'm too tired to do anything. On weekends I hike to rest my legs.

I haven't done any sort of race yet. So far I just enjoy the solitude.

I'm so impressed you run in the dark! I love to run in the mornings, too. It's hard to find time later in the day. I love races for the community feeling, but unless I'm running with a friend for a long distance race or with my kids, I put my music on and hunker down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Great story -- loved your blog post. Yeah, moving is one of life's most stressful events for good reasons. 'Cause nothing is familiar, you have to learn so many new things, your daily routine is unfamiliar, so many friends are left behind, etc. I hope you do wind up loving it there. Have spent a lot of time in that neck of the woods. Wonderful people up there.

I know you know this already, but meetups are great ways to meet new friends / runners.

Very best to you. And you look mahvelous. So well done on using your sleeve so very well.

Thanks! So far we do love it. The people are very friendly and I love the relaxed life style!

And thanks for the kind comments. The sleeve is a wonderful tool. It doesn't fix everything, but it really has made me change my life for the better.
    I'm a newbie runner currently doing the couch to 5K program. I'm a year and two weeks post surgery and down 128.8 lbs as of this morning. It's been a slow start. I started running on the treadmill and was experiencing lots of hip pain. I thought I was too old (52) to start running. I was talking to my personal trainer about it and he told me not to run on the treadmill - to run on the jogging track at our gym. It seems that you are a lot less stable on the treadmill. I'm on week 4 of C to 5K, running on the track, and all is going well. Hopefully I'll be able to keep running for many years. Who would have ever thought that I would enjoy running!
    Quote Originally Posted by redliner
    I'm a newbie runner currently doing the couch to 5K program. I'm a year and two weeks post surgery and down 128.8 lbs as of this morning. It's been a slow start. I started running on the treadmill and was experiencing lots of hip pain. I thought I was too old (52) to start running. I was talking to my personal trainer about it and he told me not to run on the treadmill - to run on the jogging track at our gym. It seems that you are a lot less stable on the treadmill. I'm on week 4 of C to 5K, running on the track, and all is going well. Hopefully I'll be able to keep running for many years. Who would have ever thought that I would enjoy running!

Congratulations on your weight loss and running! Before surgery, I tried running on a treadmill and didn't understand how many friends said they loved to run. Once I started running outdoors I loved it!

Thanks for sharing! You're inspiring!