Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Connie4

What exercises do you do ?

Rate this Entry
Hello Everyone,

I am going to get my sleeve done soon... excited for my new journey and lifestyle.
One of the 4 pillars I learned here was exercise.
What do you all do? What type?
I'm 58 and already have had wrist surg and I hear I need to make sure I do not do too much/the wrong kind because I am older. Any ideas out there?
My minds is 45 though.
Thanks

Submit "What exercises do you do ?" to Digg Submit "What exercises do you do ?" to del.icio.us Submit "What exercises do you do ?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What exercises do you do ?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Connie,

I haven't had my sleeve yet - surgery scheduled for the 24th.

I plan on doing about 30 minutes of light cardio (bike, treadmill) as soon as I can. I want to take it slow and see how my body reacts.

Once I'm given the all clear by my doctor, I'll begin strength training to try and tighten up the loose skin I hope to have.

Hope this helps...............
    Connie4, I believe walking over 20 minutes with an elevated heart rate does qualify as exercise. I briskly walk between 4 - 5 miles a day (pre-surgery). However, I am concerned that all the sweating I do will dehydrate me after surgery, so will be cutting back after I am sleeved (until weather cools and my sweating decreases). Whatever type of exercise you choose, don't overdo it. People who overdo exercise are more likely to quit.
    I've started walking again. I'm averaging around 30 min to an hour a day.
    The first 6 weeks I walked. Slow but sure. after that I added some additional cardio. I LOVE turbo jam from Beachbody.
    Walk, run, box, lift weights, anything to elevate your heart rate. What I've learned is find what you like and do that. If you don't like running...don't. Your body will stress if you try to do something you don' like.
    I am 2 1/2 years out from surgery and I do 20 minutes per day minimum. Sometimes it is all I do. I play tennis, I walk the dog, I hit a heavy bag with boxing glove. Mix it up, have fun and enjoy the ride.
    Thnaks all
    Do whatever you enjoy! Do you like to swim, hike, bike, dance, lift weights, work out with a DVD, row a boat, or mow the lawn? The options are endless. Do you like classes at the gym or doing your own thing at the gym? The key to exercise is you need to like it, then you'll stick with it.

I always tell anyone totally new to exercise to just start to walk. All you need is a good pair of shoes. Start slow (even if it's just down the driveway and back) and gradually work up your distance.

I'm almost 60 and love to run and hike. When I started to run I started very slowly, adding a little more running to my hike each time. (The hills were the last to add!) I'm totally addicted. I hate the gym and love being in the outdoors. We're all different, see what you like.

I do understand that us older people need to be careful. My favorite workout used to be step aerobics, but now my knees can't take it.
    I'm 70 -- was sleeved at 68. Have lost 100 pounds and maintained that loss.

Like sraebaer says, it's critical that you don't hurt yourself!

WALKING continues to be my #1 exercise. It's mostly outdoors, but I also have a treadmill and an elliptical here at home for days when it's just too hot or cold or wet to go outside.

I MOVE so much more than I used to move -- housework, errands, shopping, gardening, mowing, hauling downed timber, cleaning fencelines, etc. That's "exercise," too.

Finally, I've found a wonderful yoga class with a great teacher. It's amazing what looks so easy (ha!) can make so much difference in terms of flexibility, strength, balance. This class shows me, once again, how important it is to find an exercise practice that you ENJOY.

In wintertime, I'll do weight lifting, but in spring/summer/fall our work on the property provides a lot of "strength" work.