Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

xena7158

6 months out - losing hair (finally)

Rate this Entry
Well, it was my 6-month 'surgi-versary" this week - everything seems on track .. broke out of the stall from last month, lost a few more lbs, and back on another stall now ... and the dreaded and foretold hair loss has finally occurred. It's been falling out in great gobs for about a month now, every time I wash my hair, brush my hair, etc. It is very alarming to see all that hair, like every single day, in a pile in my hand or on the floor ... but really, overall on my head it doesn't look that different. So, I'm trying to ignore it

I didn't want to freak out about it on here, since I know it's normal (from reading about it from those before me) and I know it's not permanent, and I didn't want to add to the fear-mongering for those coming after me ... BUT, I did want to mention it ... just so you know that it can still happen, this many moons after surgery

For anyone wondering - I've been 100% on my protein every single day (90-100g/day), about 99% on my supplements (including 10k biotin/daily), and about 95% on my liquids (64oz+ / day).

Submit "6 months out - losing hair (finally)" to Digg Submit "6 months out - losing hair (finally)" to del.icio.us Submit "6 months out - losing hair (finally)" to StumbleUpon Submit "6 months out - losing hair (finally)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry to hear about your hair, it sounds like you are doing everything you can possibly do. I'm two month out and my hair loss is not any worse than usual, but I decided to get a shorter cut than I normally have. I went with an a deep angled bob :-D I'm very happy with the low maintenance aspect of shorter hair, though it seems it is not that simple to wash and go for me. I have spent more money on lotions and potions to make it look manageable. If not its just a short frizz ugh!

I read an article that said that when we go on a restrictive diet, or even when we experience a stressful event like surgery or even emotional stress, our bodies go into survival mode and since hair is optional for our survival it cuts its nutritional supply to it until it finds a balance. Funny enough, it said that we should see hair loss within a month of the stressful event or when we start to restrict our diets. Since you just started to loose your hair, I wonder what has gone on during this past month that kicked off the hair loss? If you track your daily food look at your micronutrients.

If I can find the article I will send to you, but if you can adjust your diet to accommodate 0.6 grams of protein per pound of your current weight is what you are supposed to be consuming in protein for you just to maintain your muscle mass, and to maintain healthy skin and hair try to get a balanced diet rich in nutrients, amino acids, healthy fats and rich in vitamins. Eggs, salmon, guavas, coconut, avocados, spinach or green legumes, lentils, barley, oatmeal, cinnamon, nuts and seeds, Greek yogurt and sweet potatoes are said to be great sources for healthy skin and hair.

At the end of the day just finding balance in our diets and lives is what really matters.

Keep up the great work!
    This is one thing I super scared about. I have extremely thick hair so I'm hoping it won't be too bad, but I'm still scared. What if I have bald spots? Now I'm thin but bald?? I know protein plays a big part of it so I need to keep myself accountable on my protein intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyofboys
    This is one thing I super scared about. I have extremely thick hair so I'm hoping it won't be too bad, but I'm still scared. What if I have bald spots? Now I'm thin but bald?? I know protein plays a big part of it so I need to keep myself accountable on my protein intake.
    Even if you lost ALL your hair, it'll grow back.
    I started to lose my hair almost immediately post-op because that's a reaction I have when I take blood thinner. Then it stopped and started again a few weeks later. Now at six month it's starting to grow back, and I also lose less hair. I always took my vitamins and supplements but I had sometimes issues with my proteins. I need to take really high dosage of iron and D vitamin because my blood tests did show several times that it's too low even with the required supplements! But for me losing my hair is not a surprise or a big deal, it's a side effect that I was expecting because I lose my hair all the time....for everything. I do now have a few "white spots" where you can see my scalp and use a keratin powder to hide it (Toppik). It works fine. I was ready to buy a wig if needed but it's not that bad. I can tell you it's been much worth a few years ago when I had to take a blood thinner for six months. But right now ...it's growing back.
    Iron supplements are the only thing that will help. Trust me...lol
    Thats one thing that scares me about surgery. My hair is very thin right now, i need to keep all i can
    my daughter had the surgery last year and her hair started looking dull and brittle and was falling out also I will have to ask her what caused it.
    Here is one of the articles on hair loss:

http://www.obesityaction.org/wp-cont...-Hair-Loss.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbenson5
    Iron supplements are the only thing that will help. Trust me...lol
    I get super constipated with iron supplements, though.
    Ugh, sorry Pam! It really does the trick!