Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

preop jeers and cheers

Rate this Entry
I don't know if this is normal, but after I had my initial visits with the bariatric surgeon and internal medicine doctor who is monitoring my 90-day medical weight loss requirement. I went into a sort of food mourning, I had managed to loose a few pounds initially, but then I was treating myself to whatever my heart desired and I regained the few pounds. I started checking myself, and asking why? part of me felt that once I have the surgery, I would never be able to enjoy the foods I love. If I am honest, it made me kind of angry at myself.

I had to reach deep inside to let go of that food mourning feeling, mostly because it scared me how fast I can gain weight, and how fast I lost sight of my health, which is the number one factor I want to do the surgery.

So, for the last three weeks more or less I have been really conscientious of everything I put in my mouth. It has paid off, I am down to 236lbs, and seeing the scale go below 240lbs is really encouraging!

Submit "preop jeers and cheers" to Digg Submit "preop jeers and cheers" to del.icio.us Submit "preop jeers and cheers" to StumbleUpon Submit "preop jeers and cheers" to Google

Comments

Great job and you're on the right track. Food funerals are not worth it because nothing as good as being healthy. I'm more than a year out from surgery and the things I loved pre surgery don't hold the same attraction. I do still crave chips but I made a commitment to not bring any chips home for the first year after I got to my goal weight. I know if they come home I'll eat them. I can't figure out why I love chips so much but I'm working trying to figure it out. If I'm going to have pizza it has to be the best pizza in town, which does not include any of the pizza chains. Keep up the good work. Your weight is right were I was at pre surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowjoy
    Great job and you're on the right track. Food funerals are not worth it because nothing as good as being healthy. I'm more than a year out from surgery and the things I loved pre surgery don't hold the same attraction. I do still crave chips but I made a commitment to not bring any chips home for the first year after I got to my goal weight. I know if they come home I'll eat them. I can't figure out why I love chips so much but I'm working trying to figure it out. If I'm going to have pizza it has to be the best pizza in town, which does not include any of the pizza chains. Keep up the good work. Your weight is right were I was at pre surgery.
    Thank you, Mellowjoy! I think I will adopt your strategy, definitely with the sleeve done it may help curve some of my cravings, and by not having them home the temptation won't be there as bad.

I love cooking, and to be honest I am wondering if that is going to change. Though in retrospect, when I became an empty-nester I stopped cooking big elaborate meals.
    I much rather eat out than cook these days :/
    Google "food funeral"....

Initially, many of us mourn for foods we think we'll never enjoy again (not true)....it's a psychological thing and part of the reason we are overweight/obese. I think if my husband was told he could never have his fave food again, he'd be like, oh well that sucks huh? and move on. Not us in the tribe.

If you are like me, you get to food funerals for raw vegetables. You can't eat them (well, it depends) in my plan until 6months post op. So, I am feenin for anything crunchy lately from the veg family .

If you are approaching it as we advised we should, a lifestyle/food change forever then mourning your break up with your old food ways is part of the process.
    I'll just add that you will see different approaches and philosophies.

Controlled food funerals can be a good thing. I have had food funerals since Oct. In the beginning they were just a list of meals I wanted to have without restriction (break up phase). More recently, I am doing WW for weight loss pre op (approved) and have lost (except for period weeks) including fave meals (not sweets) in controlled portions...saying hello again.

You have to find YOUR way through YOUR head to find lasting success. I am still pre-op prepping with the support of a therapist (for the first time in my mid life) and it's been great. I have had legit funerals. I will never ever have a Dunkin D powdered cream donut. So I had a funeral for it. Didn't cry. But, RIP cream donuts. I used to <3 your cracklike dopemine euphoria but it's short lived and makes me unhealthy buh bye.

FOR ME (disclaimer), I have an All or nothing problem....hence yo yo diets. When I was good, am very very good; when I am bad, I'm disgusting

This is why (FOR ME) making peace with food is important in MY journey. I need to learn "moderation". If I approach sleeve as all or nothing like other "diets" I will not succeed. Hope this all makes sense and isn't TMI.