Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

CharlieFarley

bradycardia

Rate this Entry
I blogged a couple of days ago. Amongst other things, I mentioned I had dizziness when standing.

Further blood test results are back. Like all the other results from earlier in the week, the latest test for electrolyte levels (sodium, potassium) are within range. But the ECG suggests my heart rate is too low. Evidently it was 46 beats per minute at rest in the examination room (ideal is 60-80bpm). A condition called bradycardia. Whilst the reasons behind that are as yet unclear, it is consistent with the dizziness.

This all learned 20 minutes ago when my family doctor here in China (a very capable German guy) just called me up. It is Sunday afternoon.

My doctor says he has already referred me to the head of cardiology over here. They want to do a 24-hour monitoring thing... but I can't organise it before I fly to the UK on Tuesday. He says he won't stop me from flying back - but with the strong hint that he'd considered it.

I've already hit Google. Everywhere I search, the term "bradycardia" seems to be solidly linked to "pacemaker". I am 46 years old, feeling pretty fit. I never saw that coming at all.

Immediate thoughts are bad. The doc says I must not scuba dive until the situation is resolved, if ever again. (He knew that my wife and I have a diving trip of a lifetime planned to Truk lagoon in the South Pacific this summer.) And my wife's job means we are due to relocate from China to America this year and so I'll have a company transfer medical in the coming weeks; I have no idea what the consequences of this will be for all that. Pretty worried... I'm actually shaking.

I don't know why I'm writing all this here. It really isn't my style to attention-seek. I think it helps to clarify my own thoughts... and I said in the last blog post that I'd report developments regarding the dizziness. (I only wrote about that in the first place because I thought dizziness was a thing that was not uncommon for sleeve patients, so figured it was worth documented as part of my story. Unfortunately, the reality may not be as straightforward as I'd originally thought - and this dizziness is likely unrelated to weight loss surgery.)

There's not much more to be done or said until I get back here at the end of April.

Submit "bradycardia" to Digg Submit "bradycardia" to del.icio.us Submit "bradycardia" to StumbleUpon Submit "bradycardia" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That is scary...sorry for the mess it's causing you too...did the dr say it was related to your WLS? Or your weight loss? Or your diet at all?

I know I am just over 2 weeks post op but while I was in the hospital after my surgery my heart rate was also in the 40s and they were constantly monitoring it but I think it's better now. That's why I asked if it was related to surgery at all

Good luck in your battle.
    As far as I can tell, whatever condition is causing my heart to beat slowly is totally unrelated to sleeve surgery, losing weight or my recent/current nutrition.

Having lost weight, I'm sure I'm in far better general health to deal with whatever may be coming.

For now, I'm not too freaked out about my immediate medical situation but rather more what it will mean if my wife's company says I have to repatriate to my base country (UK). Not doubting the ability of UK doctors to look after me... but all our plans and expectations for my wife's career and my 2x daughters' educational future are all up in the air.
    Wow, Charlie. I'm sorry to hear of this possibility. But until your condition is actually confirmed, it's just a hypothesis. I know you're unsettled, but try to relax.

I'll tell you one thing that hubby and I have both learned in the last six months -- we (and almost all people) are extremely adaptable and resilient creatures. And being smart helps, so you know you have those attributes in spades!

And now get this: I just measured my own beats per minute using an online stopwatch. Guess what ... 51 bpm. And I truly doubt I have bradycardia. So there's some more data for you.

Also, check out the study summarized at the link below. It seems that asymptomatic bradycardia (emphasis on "asymptomatic") is not terribly unusual among WLS patients people who lose a lot of weight. You can look forward to getting medical advice about your situation from someone who knows how bariatric patients react in these situations--both short-term and long-term.

http://ondemand.hrsonline.org/common...8/25/1037/6225
    Charlie,

Here's an old thread on another WLS forum about RNY and bradycardia. People who complain of it have had various resolutions -- from pacemakers to "it just all resolved." It also sounds like not all bradycardia symptoms reflect the same problem; if you can get your heartbeat way up (through exercise) your heart is certainly capable of responding appropriately to different conditions.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wl...rate-post-RNY/
    Athletes have low resting heart rates as well. It's usually the first thing we asked someone who presents with a low heart rate. are you athletic? Google that for further knowledge...hope this helps you relax a bit. However, you probably wouldn't be symptomatic (dizziness). I'm no doctor though. Take care
    I am also in the 46 area for resting heart rate. They said I have this as well or, some jazz on packets of nerve signals blah blah lol TONS of tests.. holter (sp?) monitor for 24 hours.. with a log for me to write 'what I feel". All the fun jazz. Scans.. blah..

Anyway, maybe this is more common than we think? Or, we both stand alone
    Only your MD can diagnose and treat you. Sorry it appears he/she didn't offer you much in the way of clearing your thoughts and helping you to feel at ease. I quick google search found the following, in pretty simple terms, as to an idea of what treatment options are.

" If damage to the heart’s electrical system causes your heart to beat too slowly, you will probably need to have a pacemaker. A pacemaker is a device placed under your skin that helps correct the slow heart rate. People older than 65 are most likely to have a type of bradycardia that requires a pacemaker.

If another medical problem, such as hypothyroidism or an electrolyte imbalance, (electrolytes can be off due to surgery)... is causing a slow heart rate, treating that problem may cure the bradycardia.

If a medicine is causing your heart to beat too slowly, your doctor may adjust the dose or prescribe a different medicine. If you cannot stop taking that medicine, you may need a pacemaker."

I can imagine how scary this is for you. May you receive positive answers, and may you find comfort in knowing, if a pacemaker is needed, that they are quite common, and you won't be alone through the journey. Many go on to leave very full and productive lives. You will be in great hands. In the mean time, rest easy, and rise slowly.
    I'm sorry you hit a bump on the road Charlie. I know it's easier said than done but stay positive so you can adapt and overcome! I'm sending positive vibes your way and please keep us posted!
    Best wishes.. stay strong!

Just another bump in this path we call life!! You got this!
    Hoping all goes well for you!
    I have bradycardia also. No one seems to be too concerned about it. It was discovered during pre admission testing for three level acdf with plate and cage due to spinal stenosis. I figure it's no big deal. ��
    Same thing happened to me in Oct. and I am 36 ( too young for a pacemaker) I had a spell of Vertigo 1st time in my life and when my Husband took me to the Urgent Care clinic they were more concerned about my low blood pressure and heart rate My blood pressure was 85/70 and my heart rate around 45-50 when I was walking around. and high 30's and low 40's in the morning. Well needless to say they did an EKG and the Bradycardia was then brought up. Sent to the Heart Doc where he did EKG, 24 hour test and echocardiogram all came back Perfect the Doc said I have a HEalthy heart and my recent weight loss has made it a happier Heart! I don't look like a top athlete but my heart does. He said as long as I am feeling good Thank God and Carry on. but if that changes to go to the hospital because of my low blood pressure and heart rate it could get bad quickly. Oh yeah My blood pressure leveled out to a more normal level but heart rate is still slow. Best of luck to you. Good luck.